Making Kid's Clothes

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Zyni • Sep 28, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever tried making your kid's clothes? For little ones, it's simpler. Older kids obviously tend to have their own ideas, and generally want to be cool. So, unless something handmade is cool at the moment, you're probably not going to have much luck. For babies and small children though, sewing their clothes can be a great way to save money as well as to give a gift from the heart. I never was talented enough to sew all the kid's clothes we needed, but I did make them some things. I felt like I really accomplished something when they turned out well.

2. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    It is really easy to make the pillow case type dresses for toddlers and babies. When there that little they really don't care what type of clothing there wearing so its easier to make clothes for them. and making a dress is cheaper sometimes then buying them an outfit. When they get up into the school age though they want to wear whatever the other kids are wearing. They might get made fun of for wearing something that is homemade.

3. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    My wife will often make alterations and outfits to kids clothes out of cheap t-shirts and things she gets at thrift shops. She also knits and crochets a lot of outerwear so that allows us to save a lot more money. I think it's a lot of fun to let your kids help design an outfit and have her whip it up out of hand-me-downs and cheap gear. I'd love to see some pics of your creations Zyni!

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live, clothes for kids are really cheap. It would cost me more money and time to invest in a sowing machine than just buy the clothes. Naturally, kids grow and you need new clothes all the time, but for me it's more convenient to get the clothes in stores, or preferably, in thrift shops.
    But if I get the opportunity, I would love to sow things at home. I have got plenty of ideas, and with a little help, such as a course or some online instructions, it can't be that difficult.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I really wish I had the talent for that kind of thing, but I can't sew to save my life, lol. I've seen some really cute clothes that people have made, though. My grandma likes to make clothes and she will on occasion- usually for babies or toddlers, though she's made some halloween costumes for older kids and adults.

6. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    My mother has always made clothes for me and my family. I can't find the time and I think its a really good skill. If I tried to make kids clothes from scratch then I would end up going wrong somehow. They wouldn't be very good. I used to love watching my mum make them though, because its a good skill to have.

7. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I have made childrens' clothing. In Ghana, it is quite normal for you to have all of your clothes handmade. There are millions of tailors and seamstresses all over my country! We have such beautiful textiles to use for sewing, which helps to make the clothes unique. I like handmade clothing because it can be made to fit you exactly right. With clothing from stores, you're bound to end up with something that does not fit you perfectly.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've personally never really made clothes other than crocheting, but nothing like sewing because I'm not that talented at all. But my sister used to make pillow case dresses for her little girls all the time, and that's something I've always wanted to do but I don't have any little ones to dress up right now so it would be kind of pointless.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never made anything super fancy as far as clothes go. Mostly simple skirts, tops, dresses, and nightgowns. I crocheted some things as well. I used to make a lot of doll clothes and things for the kids, and I did used to make all their Halloween costumes. That not only saved us a lot of money, but it was also a lot of fun.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have tried, and unfortunately it's not a talent that I have - which is a shame really, as I would be able to save a lot of money if I did have that talent. But I do have a friend who makes all of her children's clothes, and she hardly spends anything, because even the material doesn't cost very much, and the things that she makes are high quality so they last for a long time.

11. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I can say that I have no experience in doing this myself, but when it comes to saving money if you can make your own clothes and avoid having to pay for that then you are probably in a good position. I know that my grandmother used to make clothes for my mother and her sister, but that kind of just went away.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my girls were little I would make some of there clothes, it was easy and not expensive at all compared to what the cost of kids cloths in the stores can be.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In our family, whenever a little one was born, or whenever we found out that anybody was pregnant, my grandmother would knit a blanket or a little cardigan. But my grandmother has passed now. It will be two years in November. So anybody born into our family will now not get those things. My auntie is a seamstress, but has health issues so she is not currently making any clothes.

14. Jani

JaniNew Member

Threads:
    Now that I am a first time mom, I have realized how expensive baby and toddler clothes are. Sewing is not one of my strong points,but my mother-in-law loves it. So I've searched for material stores in my city and want and bought lots of nice materials for cheap. My mother-in-law made my baby the cutest outfits. It worked out much more cheaper than buying outfits.

It's really the worthwhile sewing clothes, aspecially when they are so small, because they outgrow the clothes so fast.

Happy sewing mummies

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is a great way to save money, considering that companies selling baby products usually know well enough to jack up the prices since they realize that they can sell these types of items as expensive as they want to because parents and gift givers will usually spend a lot for their kids. This way you do end up saving on a lot and it's also way more practical too since babies grow super fast and spending a lot on wardrobe will only end up being useless in just a year or so.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a store at my local mall that has kids' and babies' clothes marked down to $3.99 and sometimes Walmart has kids' clothes in their $1 clearance bin, so I can't justify spending time to sew clothes ,when I could be working to earn money for other things. There are high yield activities that give you a good return for your time.
    I don't think sewing baby clothes is one of them.