Making Lists To Save At The Grocery Store?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ExpertAdvice • Jul 16, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Even though the economy is no longer experiencing the major impact of a few years ago with the economic depression, it's still all the more important for us to practice wise saving strategies in order to conserve on our expenditure, especially when it comes to the essentials, like food.

Yes, we need it to survive, but often, a lack of organization in the way we approach shopping for food can lead us to spend far more than we had ever budgeted for in the first place!

Have you ever found yourself going into the grocery store without a list, and just picking up things you "think" you need, only to find that you probably had one/two of those very same items either at home in your refrigerator or in the cupboard?

In instances such as those, you end up purchasing something that you probably didn't need right away, and most likely, you won't end up getting all that you really do need, because the money's already spent!

Do you think that putting together a grocery list of all the things you need and abiding by that at the grocery store/supermarket could help us save? Or does it not make much difference?

t_of_grocery_items_during_a_healthy_choices_scavenger_hunt_supporting_Commissary_Awareness_Month.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopping with a list makes a big difference. I keep a permanent list of pantry staples that I know I'm going to buy every month. It saves both money and guesswork to know that I'm going to buy certain things ,like rice ,lentils and oatmeal every month.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I think making a list does help keep you within a budget, since you know what you’re buying/paying and won’t be as tempted to deviate from the list. Also, it can save some hassle because you’re less likely to forget to buy something you need (though this does still happen on occasion in my particular case!). I do all my shopping with lists, not just grocery shopping.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Making a list saves you time and money when you're at the supermarket. You also won't be tempted to buy more, since you're pretty much aware that if the item isn't included in the list, then you certainly don't need it. I just use my phone to make a list and I just save them in my drafts folder.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always make a list, for two reasons. Firstly, because if I don't write down everything that I need, there is a chance that I might forget. Secondly, I always get things that I DON'T need if I don't bother with a list at all, and that is certainly a waste of money that I would much rather avoid. A list keeps me on task, and I usually write things on the list as and when I run out of them during the week, meaning that nothing gets missed.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping with a list is a must for me! It enables me to shop in time and not buy unnecessary things. Most of the time, I use a list to help me remember too what needs to be bought. When I do not have a list, I tend to buy things that I do not need and forget to buy what I do need.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make a list and stick to it every week. I actually go one step further and price up each item online. I have several stores in my vicinitya nd I'm quite happy to spread my shop across them all if it means I'm getting the lowest price for each item.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our budgeting is systematic since impulse buying can ruin our finances. Even if we are using credit card for the groceries, we still stick to our shopping plan. Being assigned to that chore of minding the grocery list, I always prioritize the necessities particularly the regular supplies like cooking oil and soap. And since we only shop once a week then whatever we forget would wait a week.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a list to replace the items needed in the house but I also make a menu for the week to make sure we have everything for the meals that will be made during the week to avoid the need to go out to the store which usually will cause me to spend more money because I see something I want.

10. hosewalker

hosewalkerMember

Threads:
    I always make a list. If I don't, I just end up buying stupid stuff and I don't actually get what I need. I also never go shopping for food on an empty stomach. This is because I found that if I'm hungry while grocery shopping I just buy candy and not the stuff that I actually need.

11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I also do my shopping on a weekly basis and, by doing this, we cannot only save money but time. However I break my list down in 2 or 3 sub-lists to put together what I'm going to buy in major stores or the regular market/grocery store, as sometimes an item is cheaper at one of these or turns more expensive.

Needless to say shopping day is day-off to me, not working at all, so I can go from store to store, what also serves me as fitness routine, since I do it by walking not being so far one store from the other.

However, I have always a small stash of money set aside to buy something that is not in the list but I have contemplated to buy sometime soon and could be at a discount price then. If not used, this money is kept as weekly "just in case" until the time to be used comes up, and a new extra amount is set to substitute it.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got a laugh with that line that says "stash of money" hahahaaa. That means you are prepared in case you want to buy something that is not in the list. But I'd say that's a good way of pampering yourself and not endangering the health of your finances. You can control your buying impulse with that stash that is the limit you had set. At any rate, buying on impulse is not really a healthy habit.