Making long flights enjoyable!

Discussion in Travel started by rollybooz • Dec 13, 2014.

1. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    With more airlines providing direct flights to many destinations, flights have gotten longer and longer! I recently was on one from Australia to the US and it was 15 hours long! Bum-numbing in my opinion!

For me, I'll always look up the airlines' website prior to long flights to check out currently available movies and "schedule" them into my journey. I find that if you treat the flight like an ordinary day, time passes much faster. Block out periods for meals (about 45 minutes with serving and clearing), movies right after meals (which can be sleep inducing!), then a nap. Alternatively, reading a half-finished story book will ease one into sleep as well! On waking, be sure to take a little walk, visit the bathroom etc. to get blood circulating. Talking to your neighbour can also make a flight less mundane. Before you know it, you will be buckled up once again ready for landing! So, how does everyone else kill time on long flights?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    My two activities to do on long flights: read a book and listen to long audio programs. I've always liked reading books since I was a child, not simply for food for the mind, but to broaden my knowledge of things to help me in life with the questions I have about developing myself. Whenever I'm tired of reading or can no longer bare to use my eyes to read, I put on my mp3 or cellphone, hook up on my earphones, play a preloaded hours long audio programs, and listen to it while I nap or fall asleep. I don't like watching movies, because it takes a lot of battery power and annoying neighbors tend to bother me more whenever I watch a movies.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I seriously just sleep throughout long flights. I get on the plane, get settled, and then I pass out, no matter how long the flight is. If I wake up mid-flight, then I'll go to the bathroom, splash water on my face, and then go sit down and do something for a little bit. Then I'm passed out again for the rest of the flight. I hate being awake during flights.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Long overhaul flights aren't a big problem for me because I see it as a chance to get in LOADS of reading. I'm an avid reader (always have been) and I feel there aren't nearly enough hours in the day for me to work, sleep, spend quality time with my family AND read to my heart's content LOL So I read a lot on long flights and alternate that with sleeping and talking to my husband. I very rarely even watch the available movie s:)

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best way to kill time is to sleep (although it can be quite risky when you don't know what will happen to you throughout those 15 hours of flying). The reason why I think it's better to just sleep is because it puts your mind at rest and reduces your anxiety. The moment you wake up, you're around 6 hours or so away from reaching your destination. I've never flown beyond 4 hours anyway, so I guess that's the only option I want to pursue. For the remaining 6 hours, I'm thinking about watching an interesting series (interesting enough that you'll forget you're in the middle of an air turbulence).

6. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I usually bring a ton of magazines and books. Sometimes I'll watch whatever movie they have on offer. And then I also try to sleep!

7. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like most of us prefer reading and sleeping! But I do agree that sleeping gets a little hard especially on bumpy rides and if you're a light sleeper or an anxious flyer! For me, I usually need a book to put me to sleep on flights since the noise and little bumps keep me on edge sometimes! You'll need a relaxed state of mind to fall asleep, so sometimes a combination of music and a good read would help. Also, try going for decaffeinated drinks or teas that are naturally non-caffeinated such as camomile and peppermint tea when the crew comes along with beverages. They help to soothe the mind and place you in a somewhat relaxed state!