Making Your Own Body Scrubs

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by azeemah kaleem • May 16, 2015.

1. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    I did some researching about a few years ago and discover how to make your own body/facial scrubs. It was very interesting because you can use low cost ingredients, such as lemon, strawberries, oranges, lemon juice, essentials, olive oil, sea salt and sugars. I am seriously into exfoliating the skin and learned that lemon, limes and strawberries contain alpha-hydroxy acid, which is good for the skin. An example is listed in the link below if you are interested in more information. Happy Scrubbing!

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks! I am all for making body scrubs because the ones sold in the franchise stores are too high. If a person has dry or sensitive skin, the other brands may have ingredients that may cause more harm than good. These also make great gifts for someone who likes a bathing experience.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know at least a dozen people that make their own body scrubs using a variety of natural substances and minerals. It's something that's pretty simple to do after your first few tries, and then it's more cost-effective than buying chemical-laden alternatives in the store. All-natural beauty products are often a better option!

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally just don't have the time nor the inclination to get down and dirty making my own LOL I'd much rather pick stuff off the shelf, pay and be done with it. I also try to go as organic and natural as possible. The less the list of ingredients used, the better for me :) The only stuff I don't mind making at home is face masks. But thank you of course, for posting the link :)

5. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    Thank you for this! I am very much into body scrubs and face masks and I love the idea of making my own. My problem with commercial scrubs is that some of them contain a lot of chemicals that could actually be harmful in the long run. I think it would be best to personally make natural scrubs. It's actually cheaper with the same great result and less chemicals. Win-win! :)

6. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    Glad I was able to assist with recommending the information. Happy Scrubbing!:)

7. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I love having food stuffs at home that have a dual purpose. I use lemon, yoghurt, honey, coconut oil, oatmeal, milk, fruit in cooking and in skin care. If it's good for you, invariably it will be good for you inside and out.

8. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    Just to add another trick I found. Using 1/2 lemon juice mixed with 1/2 water is good as an astringent is good for the skin. The mixture really helped my acne and dark spots. It makes your skin feel really smooth and clean.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this link! I have tried many different body scrubs over the past few years, but most of them make my skin dry. The good ones, on the other hand, are too expensive or just hard to find at the mall. Making your own bodyscrub will surely be better than buying commercial ones because you will be sure that you are not a victim of those harsh chemicals.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this link. I tend to use oatmeal, coconut milk, and honey the most in my homemade beauty products. Sometimes brown sugar as well, so these recipes are right up my alley. The brown sugar and oatmeal body scrub sounds nice in particular, but I like them all because they contain skin-soothing ingredients with very few potential irritants. Nice resource!

11. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    You very welcome. I have not tried the brown sugar to add with the other ingredients. I will have to use that next time. I have came across alot of recipes using sugar and they sound great. I also want to experiment adding in honey as well. I love the way all natural body scrubs make my skin feel, plus they are so much cheaper than the products you buy at the stores.

#11May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
  12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought any commercial body or facial scrubs for years. I make my own scrubs. I either combine sugar or salt with a little water, olive oil and lemon juice and use these scrubs twice a week on my body. For my face I prefer a finer scrub made of oatmeal, honey and lemon juice. It gets rid of all the dead skin cells quickly and makes my skin glow and look fresh.

13. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    One of the biggest things for me is putting chemicals on my skin. My skin is very sensitive and I get rashes over everything. I always make my own scrubs because I know what goes into it. I either use ground coffee beans or sugar and mix it with coconut oil or olive oil. It is that simple! I also find places charge so much for scrubs. Making it at home saves so much time. I've even gotten homemade scrubs as wedding shower gifts!

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I have to be honest here and say - not only do I not use a whole body scrub that often - but I've never actually bought a commercially made body or facial scrub - as I've always made my own.

However - much as I appreciate the link and did find some of the recipes interestingly appealing - they are not enough to sway me away from my all time favorite - the centuries old, extra virgin olive oil and sea salt scrub - which apart from being suitable for all skin types and a great all round gentle scrub for both face and body - that virtually guarantees excellent almost immediate results - as it moisturizes and soothes at the same time - but as its also absolutely great for smoothing dry cracked heels - this one scrub, very effectively does everything I require it to - with the added bonus that its real simple, non messy and extremely inexpensive to make.