Making your own compost

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Squigly • Oct 28, 2014.

1. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    As someone who has started growing some vegetables and herbs, I would like to know how to start and maintain a decent compost bin. Do I need anything special to start off, other than a basic compost bin? Also, can I just use any regular food waste, and dried leaves as compost? What would the appropriate ratio be?

Thanks! :)

2. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not an expert on compost but I know you cannot use: meat scraps or bones, or the manure of meat eating animals. You can use the manure of grass eating animals such as rabbits and cows and horses. When I was growing up my family just used to gather up all the vegetable scraps, tea bags, coffee grounds and egg shells and kind of throw them in the garden. There's actually a name for that, which I've forgotten, and though it doesn't work as well as traditional composting it does have some benefits.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I would also be interested in this information too. I have a garden and would like to compost. The only thing I know to put in it now is coffee grounds and vegetable leftovers.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have very little knowledge of composting. I do know you don't want any meat to get in there as it will smell terrible. You local gardening shop will probably have lots of information about it as composting is pretty popular among serious gardeners.