Making Your Own Copy Cat Meals At Home

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jasmine2015 • Dec 19, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I like to go to YouTube and watch people redo restaurant dishes. I saw one on KFC chicken and I'm pretty sure there are some tying to recreate some of the sauces McDonald's likes to use on their hamburgers. I know there are some meals that can get quite pricy depending on what it is you're eating and the amount. Have you tried recreating some restaurant dishes to save money? What about when it comes to some things like seafood or steaks? Is that too expensive to try to do at home?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've seen recipes like this and to be completely honest I have never felt much like trying them out because they are cheap enough to buy most of the time and the time it would take me to get all the ingredients together and prepare them at home just doesn't seem to be worth it. I think the best application for this is if you are planning to feed a whole family which can get expensive if you're buying from a fast food restaurant, so a bucket of KFC chicken can definitely save you a lot if you just prepare it at home, but if you're like me and eat solo most of the time maybe just buying it would be a bit more practical.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw a recipe online for making your own Krspy Kreme doughuts. I must admit that one sounded interesting. I would be curious to try them just to see how they turned out. They looked good in the picture. One thing I would like to do is to make Alice Springs Chicken that Outback Steakhouse servces. I have that recipe as well.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen the sites that hack the better known restaurants. I have not tried making any of the meals yet but I will be giving a few a try. I also have a hack for Starbucks coffee. They look at fun, it would be nice to give a few of my favorites a try.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even if I do not know how to cook, those Krispy Kreme clone recipes interest me, because Krispy Kreme is more expensive than other donuts, so if you can save a substantial amount by just making your own version of Krispy Kreme then it is worth looking into.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really to save money but for the fun of it, yes, we have tried to copy restaurant food recipe by guessin. It's not really me but my husband is the king of our kitchen. We have the most popular chicken house here called Max's and their fried chicken is one of the best selling. My husband was able to copy the recipe by just tasting it - marinating the chicken for 1 hour in fish sauce. Yes, it's quite odd but it's really fish sauce for the marinade that gives the chicken a unique salty but delicious flavor.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    McDonald's "special sauce" is basically just Thousand Island dressing - just mix some ketchup, sweet relish and mayo together and that's about it.

The web site Chipotlefans.com has some pretty good copycat recipes of Chipotle's food if you're a fan. It's pretty easy to recreate some of their stuff at home. For their chicken, just marinate some boneless skinless chicken thighs in a can of Chipotle In Adobo overnight, then season to taste and grill it up, then dice it. Their rice is simply seasoned with lime juice, fresh cilantro and salt. Their corn salsa is basically just fresh corn, poblano peppers, red onion, fresh cilantro, salt and I believe red wine vinegar.

One thing I stumbled upon by accident, was that Pride of Szeged brand chicken seasoning tastes curiously similar to KFC. It's very coarse though, so you would probably want to grind it in a spice grinder first, before adding it to the flour.