Making your own shoes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ChanellG • Feb 23, 2013.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Have any of you ever tried making your own shoes? I've been seeing some interesting ideas lately for upcycling and customizing shoes. While these aren't from scratch projects, they are certainly an interesting way of giving new life to shoes that have become scuffed or a little worn.

Here's a link to a pair of shoes you can make yourself from a pair of flip flops. I tried to show the image, but it wouldn't display.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Do you know, it's not something I would have thought possible, and as I can get really cheap leather shoes and sandals in Spain - 5 - 15 Euro ($6.5 - $20), it hardly seems worth it. However, I can pick up flip flops - which I never wear - for next to nothing, so I may try this. I think I'd get some nice wide braid, rather than re-use old clothes. Great share, Chanell - thank you.

Oh, and I managed to add a thumbnail. You need to click on the 'URL' tab to add an image location - when the box comes up, the first option is to upload images from the computer.

9979-annekata-sandals565.

3. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    That is a great idea. I would love to try that some time, but I don't think I would have the patience. I can't even fix my busted UGG boots. Lol. Those shoes are very cute though. "Cost-wise", wouldn't the material to make the shoe be more expensive than actually buying a pair of shoes?

4. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    Thanks for posting this! I have always been fascinated by making my owning clothing, shoes, etc. I have learned, and master how to make dresses but not shoes--that's next on my list. Although I love the outcome, I hate to sit there for hours sewing a dress--it's time consuming but I continue to do it. Now, I will have the opportunity to learn how to make shoes. I have countless of flip flops that I never wear, and that's because the style isn't exactly what I currently like. Now, I won't have to give them away, I could restyle them. :) Do you happen to know of any sites that shows the step by step process of how to make high heels?

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks Sandra, I clicked to do it via url and was told the file was too large. I think I am going to start saving my favorite shoes as they wear out and see what I can do to restyle them.

I haven't found any information for making your own heels, but you might be able to come up with a good remake from an existing pair.

No, Zoeysmama, it's not more expensive, because you are using materials you already have on hand.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's awesome that she found a way to make shoes the way she likes them.

For me, though, summer shoes need to be quick and easy. I don't want to have to tie them up. I want to be able to slide my foot in quickly and then ditch them just as quickly whenever I want (which is often).

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's very creative. I'm not a big fan of flip flops, but those look nice. I do like a little heel on my shoes. My mind is swirling with creative twists on this method.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen some of pics on Pinterest where the shoes were painted to give them new life. That is something I have never thought of doing. I hope to find some shoes at the Thrift store to give new life to.

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    All I have donein the past is spray pained a few of my old shoes to give them some spunk and life.. This is a wonderful idea thanks for posting the link. I love soft and flat sandals, though I do not like to tie them up I can think of using Velcro to fasten the straps. I think l would use denim material or some other material to fashion the sandals. Thanks for posting the link.

#9Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Never made my own shoe but love the sandal thumbclip up top. I couldn't open it though. I have a few old pairs of shoes I think I may take a second look at now when I get home. See what I come out with

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure you could make them with just the front part. There are a lot of projects where you take the plastic thong out of the rubber and replace it with something else such as fabric or ribbon.

I like a little heel also; I usually buy flip flops with thick wedged soles because they provide more cushion. I saw another project on Pinterest where you could make a shoe with a low heel. Here's a link:

I have been looking at some of those pics as well; I don't really like the idea of painting shoes, but some of the ones where they cover shoes with cloth are interesting.

I love ankle straps, Maddie! I have owned several pairs of shoes that tied that way, but I used to have a pair of sandals that had a wide band of elastic over the front where the cloth is on the shoes above as well as a criss crossed band in back where the ankle ties are. You could try doing something like that instead of the ties. Glad you liked the link!

Pat, if you type upcycled shoes in the search box near the top of a Pinterest page, you'll see a wide variety of interesting things. I have some of them pinned already on this board:

The sandals above are pinned to this board:

12. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I have once upcycled some old clothes but never shoes. I would rather save some trouble, but it's not a bad idea.

13. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Here is one more nice looking flip flop convert :) Take a look :)
    [​IMG]

14. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    Wow, this is amazing! I never would have thought about converting some plain on flip flops into some nice sandals. I think it would actually be more cost efficient than purchasing them. You could get flip flops for a $1 or you could go to a Thift store and get some. They are really nice! Thanks for the Post :)

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, I've seen pictures of the restyling done with crochet as well. There is so much we can do to reuse rubber and other non-biodegradable stuff and keep it all out of the landfills. I have a great pair of leather thong sandals with a really thick rubber sole. The leather and the rubber are still in great shape, but the inner sole you stand on is worn and looks really ugly. I have been trying to come up with a way to replace it; if I can find the shoe glue mentioned in that project above, I might be able to keep wearing them!

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Hey guys, check out this interesting shoe upcycle I just found via the allfreekidscrafts.com web site:

costless-duct-tape-shoes.

Animal prints are not my thing, but when your shoes are all scuffed up (or your kids' shoes) this could be a way to get a bit more wear out of them. Not sure how it would actually look, but maybe if the upcycle was done neatly enough it might seem natural.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw a cool idea on Pinterest where someone used Mod Podge to decoupage comics of Wonder Woman over their worn high heeled pumps. If you're not into Wonder Woman, you could Mod Podge pictures of just about anything on your shoes. I've also seen people create their own glitter high heels. I have a pair of gold glitter heels that I bought years ago, but now I feel silly because I could have just made my own.

18. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I like the modge podge idea. I have used that for my son's loafers.. He wanted some batman stuff and I just cut out the pictures and instantly he had his demands met. I knew taht he would grow out of it soon enough.. and now he wants something else.

19. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    Another one here that never even fathomed the idea of making my own shoes. I think I'd be too scared to wear them out for fear that they would fall apart and I'd have to walk barefoot or buy a new pair at the nearest store..lol. I'm glad I saw this thread though because I do have a pair or two spring/summer shoes that can use some repair and/or upcycling and this gave me a few ideas of what I can do to refresh them. I'm really trying to stay away from buying anymore shoes. I have more than enough...I think :)

20. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I find this to be a very creative idea. You have a creative mind for coming up with such an idea. I myself have done crafts and sewing projects, but have never considered such an idea. I have made shoes in the past for dolls, that was hard enough to accomplish, but that's nothing compared to what you have mastered using shoes. Have you ever considered selling this, I think there could be a market for them?