Mall-based Vs. Local/corner Repair Shops

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jamille • Dec 26, 2016.

1. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I have a tablet of a cheaper brand (Coby) and a Samsung tablet. One time, the Coby brand just won't charge and my immediate action was to take it to a corner repair shop. When it was my Samsung tablet's turn to act up, I waited a few days before taking it to a mall-based repair shop. I realized that I instinctively trust a mall-based repair shop more over a corner repair shop. In our area, the repair costs doesn't even differ much. How about you guys, where do you usually take your gadgets for repair assuming they're past the warranty period?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the olden days, I would naturally go to the corner or sidewalk repair shop to save on cost of repair. Mall repair shops are expectedly more expensive. However, when we had experienced having our wall clock repaired by a sidewalk repair shop, we had changed our mentality. You can trust the repair shops in the mall because they are professional aside from the warranty. The corner repair shop has the tendency to use spare parts that are of low quality such that our wall clock broke down again after a month of that repair.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If the price is not much different I prefer taking my gadgets to a mall based repair shop. To be honest I trust them more as I see they always have the tools required to fix up anything as for the repair shops around the corners I have seen they take days to fix up things. In malls they have a fixed rate to charge for the corner shops they charge what ever they please.

4. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Well it depends on the problem. I have a friend who is good in software problems so if I do have software issues with our gadgets, I always take the gadgets to him. For hardware problems, I bring it to my cousin who knows a lot on hardware problems be it a phone or a laptop. Sometimes, I check the internet on how to fix such things instead of taking them to some shops which charge you way too much.

5. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    When my gadget needs repair, I always go to corner repair shop,mostly those that I am accustomed to. I always let my device handled by the mechanic whom I have known. In our home country, mall based repair shops charge high and corner based shops are cheap.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have not really tried any sort of mail in repair service, or anything for that matter. I am kind of interested how it would work though, and if it would end up saving a significant amount of money. Might be worth a look.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never taken my gadgets to the corner repair shop yet, but if it's an expensive and branded one then I will always take it to the nearest official store or repair outlet to ensure a quality service. As for PC's though, a corner repair shop is enough since PC's are not as sensitive to repair as compared to touch screen gadgets.

8. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I usually take my gadgets to the brand's service center almost all the time but if I am in a hurry I wold give it up to the nearby repair shop and get it fixed. My dad always insists me to take the gadgets to its service centers as that is much trustworthy. Why because is I gave my Moto phone to a nearby shop to repair and after a month he closed the shop and ran away with my mobile. Like mine he fled away with so many gadgets. So, I don't trust them that much. :(

9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever we have problems with our gadget, we normally research about it first to check what's wrong with it and see if we can troubleshoot, especially if it's only a software problem. But if the problem is something out of our depth, then we consult my cousin who is a technician and see if he can do it. Then if not, our last option would be the repair shops in our local mall.

10. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    My first option is always the corner repair shop. We have been taking our phones to them for repair or any other matter. For the battery issues, I get the new battery from the brand showroom. They are more reliable. For computer related repair works, we know a software engineer and he usually comes and do the needful.I have never went to the mall based repair shop.

11. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I think that depends on the damage your phone have. Sidewalk repair people can easily fix minor problems like bugs or cold soldering. Major damages like broken screen,battery replacement or loose charge port should be repaired on malls where spare parts are available.

12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    There are some corner repair shops that are very reliable some of these technicians are people who may have jobs formal technical institutions so they are quite adept at what they do. On the other hand, there are some that are very unprofessional and don't seem to be fully versed at what they do. I usually look for the ones that have developed a good reputation and considerable amount of goodwill. It's not unusual to find that there are problems with the service that is available at the formal shops also.

13. arachnophobik

arachnophobikMember

Threads:
    Here in my country, it costs more to go to mall-based repair shops since they also pay for rent and they don't really get a lot of customers so sometimes they are going to milk as much as they can out of you. Local repair shops are generally cheaper here, and I trust them since the people in the mall-based repair shops are pretty much just like those that aren't in the malls, both know their business and how to do it right, both just want to get paid. The difference is the other has to pay for rent in the mall so he has to charge a bit more.