Manual Mowers Or "power" Mowers?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Jan 22, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The new generation of real mowers are much better [and more effective] than the older mowers which forced many people to switch to power mowers. Those who've tested both reel and power mowers say that reel mowers are better for your "grass health," your lawn always is greener, etc, etc.

And whilst talking about the cost, manual mowers often are cheaper when you buy them and cheaper to use in the long term since all you have to is push them around.

What I don't get is why more homeowners don't use them.

Which one do you prefer?

2. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I just purchased a reel mower over the summer when several of the blades on the power mower were severely messed up. I could have probably gotten it fixed, but this was my opportunity to take the leap from power mower to a reel mower. I purchased my mower online at Amazon and it was on sale, got it for $70, and I love it. My yard isn't that large anyway, so having a reel mower is great if you're not mowing a very large yard. The cut is phenomenal, there's no horrible gas smell and all of my kids can actually use this mower to cut the grass.

3. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I finished my first season with a manual mower at home and it was actually kind of nice using it instead of a gas or electric one. If you have under an acre its not much work to get it all done. You should sharpen the blades once a yearish so upkeep cost much lower then gas, but on par with electric provided your battery/cord holds out. I stopped using gas mostly because of the noise, I would try to get the lawn done before work and firing up a 100cc engine doesn't make you popular with your neighbor.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My sisters and I used to mow grass with a reel mower it was fun back then but there was a lot of work to do after the grass was cut, raking and bagging up the grass cuttings. As an teen my mom purchased an electric mower with no catchall attached - still raking and bagging. As an adult it was gas mowers some with a catchall some without. I prefer a gas mower with a catchall. No raking just dumping grass cuttings, that's it.

The gas mower has changed a lot over the years. Definitely easier with the self propelled feature which is what we have. Also no holding the mower down with your foot to start it up or wringing your arm sore pulling on the cord all the while bending over. I do not miss those times at all.