Matching Accessories

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sunnyside • May 6, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Are you one who believes that accessories should always match the clothes you are wearing? Also, if you are carrying a brown bag, do you feel you must wear brown shoes to match? Or if you are wearing red earrings, would you want a red necklace to match?

Year ago, matching accessories to the clothes one was wearing was viewed as the natural thing to do. These days the trends seem to be changing, and people no longer feel compelled to go out and buy lipstick or jewellery to match a particular outfit for a special occasion, or the right colour bag to match their shoes. However, most people would not want to be way off when it comes to clothes coordination, so they would still want something close enough in colour even if it is not exactly the right match. The smart thing to do would be to buy neutral shades in accessories that would complement most outfits. One cannot go wrong with a nice black bag or a pair of black shoes that would go with any outfit or that would suit more than one occasion. Beige is another colour that comes to mind when choosing these types of accessories. When it comes to jewellery, pearl complements most outfits.

What are your views on this?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Accessories should match. That's why when you are buying anything, be it new clothes or accessories first thing you have to ask yourself is whether they'll fit well with what you currently have.

There's no need to buy new clothes that won't match your accessories and have to buy accessories that will match them. This is why I always stick with neutral colors that will match with any accessory.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to stick to neutral accessories and tend to use the same accessories with a lot of outfits. I have mostly black shoes and black bags so they'll usually match, although I do also have a really comfy pair of purple shoes that I don't have a bag to match with. But then the black bag will still look just fine with them anyway. I don't really wear jewellery a lot generally but I try to make sure my scarves, hats and gloves match in the winter.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This is an interesting subject seeing that Mother's Day is near. This is one occasion that accessories are gifts for mothers. I personally have received handbags that are not a basic color. So to accessorize I choose to buy jewelry or scarves that have a near matching color of the handbag preferably a nice print and for shoes I select a neutral color.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like matching clothes, but I don't think it is a must. I go with the neutral color ideas. It is always exciting when you find something that matches something you already have though. I like finding scarves, hats, purses or other things that have the colors of clothing that I have. It is fun to find something like that.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Back when I was still single, I used to match my outfits with my accessories and shoes. So for example, if I have on a beige skirt, then I'd choose either a white top or maybe something flashy, depends on my mood. Then, my shoes have to match the beige skirt as well as my bag. I used to have different colours of bags, from beige, to black, to fun colours like turquoise and yellow. With shoes and accessories, the same goes, so I can match them or combine them easily. But I don't always match them with the colour of the outfit, I just pick them in a complimentary colour.

But as I became a mother, everything changed. Suddenly, being fashionable is quite difficult to do. I'm lucky to even wear something fitting, lol. Most of the time, I'm on jeans and a shirt. Now, I'd just have a beige bag with me all the time, so it can match everything. Accessories are a big no-no, since my son might end up pulling them when he has tantrums. The only accessory I can wear is a watch and my wedding ring.

Anyway, I don't think you have to match everything, colour-wise. But you have to at least make sure they're compatible with one another. One blogger I know of, she picks a colour from the printed shirt or pants or skirt she's wearing and that's the colour she uses for her accessories. It's a nice way of making the whole outfit work together.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Color coordination is a must when mixing and matching clothes and accessories, since you don't want to look odd wearing colors that clash against each other, right? I'm not fond of wearing accesories though, so I will only have to worry about mixing and matching my clothes and shoes.

8. Cassie Lyons

Cassie LyonsMember

Threads:
    I don't always match my purse with my shoes but I do make sure the colors coordinate with each other. Usually neutral, dark tones.

9. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    When I go out, I just make sure that I'm clean and presentable. Sometimes matching accessories can be a real pain because the stuff inside my closet aren't for matching to anything. I have one red sling bag that I always use. I always go out in blouses and button downs and pants or leggings. I'm really not much into accessories either.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think contrast is the new trend instead of matching. I'm partial to both as long as they are done with some measure of restraint and style. There is not specific style that would be good for everyone so for me a good standard of measure would be to just know yourself as much as possible and to build from that instead of worrying too much about trends. It's day to buy cheap items and have them work in a way that will make the whole outfit look expensive so I just focus more on that.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I find it weird when people go all matchy-matchy from the clothes to the hair clip to the accessories to the bag. I personally prefer colors that complement or flatter each other. Matchy-matchy isn't really my thing. I would limit myself to two matching items. For instance, shoes and accessories or bag and accessories could go together in terms of color but my dress or clothes have to have a different palette, usually a neutral shade.