Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (salad dressing)?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Nov 16, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you prefer real mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (salad dressing)? I don't use a whole lot of either one, but I do prefer real mayo for sandwiches and things like potato salad. I'm not big no the sweetness of other dressings or spreads, so mayo to me gives things a better flavor. If you're worried about the fat, there are light versions of each as well. But, taste wise, I think real mayo definitely wins. Which one do you prefer?

2. GrannyLyn

GrannyLynNew Member

Threads:
    I like both but for me Cole slaw and salads i use miracle whip it gives it a better taste,sandwiches i use either it don't matter unless it is PB and mayo sandwich then i use miracle whip because of the sweetness i think taste better.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy mayonnaise all the time since they are tasty as compared to other variants. I have also tasted Miracle Whip, but I never noticed an obvious difference when compared to mayonnaise.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would pick mayonnaise almost every time because it's more neutral and overall I just like the way it tastes a lot more. With salad dressing you are pretty much stuck with what type of flavor you are given but if you use mayonnaise then you could instead just adjust those flavors if ever you did want something that tasted a bit more like salad dressing. It's just way more versatile.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mayonnaise always after trying other substitutes as the taste makes such a difference. I only use a small amount so I don't worry about the fat content, but substitutes can run a meal or sandwich so it's not worth it. I do try to have light whenever I can, but I can still taste the difference though it's still better than any substitutes.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer mayo. I do not like the taste of Miracle Whip because it tastes too artificial. :) I like mixing mayo with ketchup, too. :D

7. ally79

ally79New Member

Threads:
    Real mayo all the way, and it has to be Blue Plate if I don't want to end up divorced. I can tolerate some of the other brands but my husband absolutely hates the other brands.

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd go with neither actually, call me classy but I've grown to prefer using olive oil as a dressing. I feel that it's healthier and tastier. If I absolutely had to choose between the two I would go with mayonnaise, Miracle Whip is too artificial for my liking.

9. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Real mayonnaise is just leagues above the miracle whip dressing. I've tried to like miracle whip but it doesn't cut it for me when I'm using it as a condiment for sandwiches or as a dip for food like french fries. There is fat content to worry about in regards to mayonnaise, so looking out for your consumption is necessary but if we're comparing the two based on taste, mayonnaise is first class and miracle whip is third class.

10. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    When I was growing up my family only got Miracle Whip because my dad prefers it. Now I just buy mayo. I don't like the sweetness of miracle whip in anything, especially not if I'm adding it to a recipe.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I never really noticed much of a difference between the two until I was in my mid to late twenties, then all of a sudden I really started noticing how much sweeter Miracle Whip was and quit buying it in favor of Hellman's. For the most part I stick with Hellman's, and not only avoid Miracle Whip, but other brands of mayo in general. Many of them, are too oily and nowhere near as creamy as Hellman's. I can tell in particular after opening them, because they start to become translucent and take on a yellowish hue. It seems like they are maybe using less egg? I don't know.

The only time I will turn back to Miracle Whip is if I am making a pasta or potato salad, since it's much easier and more consistent than me trying to doctor up mayo with extra sugar and vinegar and mustard, to give it the proper sweetness and zing.

I am also partial to Vegannaise, which despite being entirely vegan, has a really wonderful mild creamy taste. I would say it's even more mild and creamy than even Hellman's.

I've tried Duke's after hearing all the fuss about it from folks from the south. I was not really impressed at all. It's just saltier tasting, with no sugar in it at all. Not quite my thing.

12. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    There is just something about real mayonnaise that does not set good with me. Maybe it is the egg? I don't dislike the taste, what I dislike is the way that it makes me feel a short time after I eat it, so I try to avoid it. I have always had my doubts about things with mayonnaise in during the hot summer months to begin with. I will use Miracle Whip, but even that seems to have changed, to me it tastes different then it used to.

I have got so that I like to use yogurt as a spread, or maybe some cream cheese or even ranch dressing. One time when I went to a restaurant I ordered a chicken range sandwich and they used ranch dressing. It was delicious so now I use that kind of salad dressing instead of Miracle Whip. It is not as expensive and you can use it in your salad too!

13. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I like both of them in their own way. There are times where I love to put miracle whip on a sandwich and taste the sweet but sorta tangy flavor. Though, most of the time I always reach for the classic Dukes mayo like it was a bad habit.

14. tiffkahla

tiffkahlaNew Member

Threads:
    For me I real dont like nether one real. Now if you make some potato salad or some tuna I will eat that.But i cant just put it on bread and eat a sandwich at all. I guess you can say I have a thing with the white stuff going in my mouth. Plus it doesnt smell to nice at all to me. I dont even like the white gravy that they put on chicken. NO NO. I do buy it for my kids they seem to love it. My husbands favrite is Miracle Whip, I think that naster than Mayonnaise because its sweet, I just dont care for it. So I guess I would have to pick Mayo just because of the taste of miracle whip.