Mccormick Seasoning Grinders-my Pet Peeve

Discussion in Product Reviews started by S.O. Price • Feb 18, 2015.

1. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Hello,

I just love the taste of the McCormick seasonings, black pepper, etc. which come from the bottles which have a grinder on top. I love the idea of eating freshly ground pepper, seasonings, etc. Unfortunately, these glass grinder bottles seem to leave quite a bit of the seasoning in the bottle and there comes a point where the grinder just won't grind the ingredients of the bottle anymore.

I have tried to unscrew the grinder from the bottle so I can use the very last bit, but the grinder won't come off. Does this bother any other Thrifty people? Any suggestions as to how I can use the last bit of black pepper in the bottle?

2. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    This is my first hearing of this bottle with the grinder. It sounds right up my alley. I would love to freshly grind my seasons like that. The supermarket here sells the Mc cormick brand, but not this grinder type. I will definitely be looking into it though. I guess you will just have to grind the remainder of your pepper in a regular grinder. It sounds like the bottle did give you service for the majority of the contents.

3. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that's the problem. There is a fair amount of pepper left and it won't come out. I could break the glass bottle, but I'm not too keen on fishing out pieces of glass! As I said, I'm such an el-cheapo it kills me to throw away a bottle with a fair amount of ingredients still in it. :)

4. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    The bottles looks super cute and I always thought it'd be cool to have one, but now I don't know if I'd bother. Plus, at least around here, it' s a little expensive for me (especially if I'm going to be leaving product behind ;)). I wish I had a solution for you. The only thing I recommend, also depending on what you're making, is that if you have a little bit of product behind and you're...idk making soup or something with a liquid, then pouring some in, swishing and pouring it out hopefully taking the ground pepper with it.

5. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks. That actually is a good idea to try. You know how it is with us die hard thrifty people! We want our money's worth and every last drop of all the products we buy. I hope it works, then I can finally get rid of all the mostly used spice bottles I have in my cupboard!

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I have learned along the way that there is a difference between the pepper that we get from the grocery store and the one that is freshly ground. I have also heard about grinders, and have seen them in the store, but they are costly, so I wouldn't buy them. Now I guess I was wise in not wanting to do so, yes freshly ground pepper is great but this product sounds like it needs to work on its bottle, in order to worth the investment.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually you can pop them off, but be careful not to cut or hurt yourself in the process. What I've sometimes done is refill them with whole peppercorns I bought at the dollar store instead, and save a few bucks vs. buying another McCormick pepper grinder. I really dislike their "adjustable" pepper grinders though because I can never get them to adjust and they don't seem to grind anything at all and I'm standing there for like several minutes trying to get a minuscule amount of pepper out of them.

I've actually had worse experiences with some of the other brands of pepper grinders that were copying McCormick - the grinder part would screw right off in the middle of me trying to grind some pepper, and peppercorns would fall all over my food. Or worse yet, some of them won't grind any pepper at all and are completely useless.

8. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I've been having this problem too and getting quite frustrated by it. I like your idea though ohiotom76 and must admit that I'd never thought of it before. I'm going to have to try this but I'm going to make sure I can get the bottles apart first LOL

9. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    You must be very strong because I can't picture myself being able to pop the tops off of those bottles! I guess I'll give it another try at some point. Do you just use your fingers or do you take a knife and try to do it? I really like the idea of going to the dollar store and buying whole peppercorns. That would be a good way to save money. Even if I had to invest in a grinder, it would still save money in the long run. Thanks for the tip.