Medical Aid Or Hospital Insurance

Discussion in Insurance started by tasha • Jun 11, 2015.

1. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Some countries don't have the free medical and it does get expensive having to pay instalments each month.
    To save money and find a good medical that will help you, you need to see exactly what you need it for; do you go to the doctor often, do you need medication each month, do you spend time in the hospital and if you have kids a hospital plan is a good idea.
    Get a medical that allows for free hospital visits that cover you for up to 500% if you don't use medication or visit the docs often then get a medical savings plan for the times that you will need mediction and you wont have to pay much in for it.
    Save by thinking of what you really would need realistically before you rush off and get the best one that offers free gym etc, do you really need those perks?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The new things is to have the ability to call a doctor and have them ask you some questions maybe video skype and get a recommendation from the doctor that could even be medication if needed. I have wondered before if it was really a good thing be I recently saw a company's presentation and think it can help to avoid goind to the emergency room for many people a cheaper than the emergency room. I had an issue that I wish I had this service when I got sick it could have helped me avoid going to the hospital for an infection from a bad tooth.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my country, medical aid is usually attached to a workplace - be it government-provided healthcare or a private one. They usually go hand in hand. So if you're employed and your company has a healthcare provider, then it's best to take advantage of it. If you're not or your company doesn't, you will have to settle with what's provided by the government, which is usually sub-par. If you're solvent enough and your company doesn't have a healthcare provider, then get a medical insurance with hospitalization (like a 2-in-1 package).

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's an interesting point you've raised, xTinx! It's exactly the same here in Botswana. Also, we get free state health care, which I don't really care for because state clinics and hospitals always have long queues. I'm currently looking to apply for medical aid and have finally decided on the one I want. That way we pay a monthly fee and are able to visit private practices, and also avoid the long queues. In my opinion, it's well worth it.

It'll also come in handy when I'm having a baby because I'll be able to go to a private hospital where the care is miles better. The last thing I want when I'm already stressing out is having to deal with shoddy, disenchanted state medical staff who sometimes seem hell bent on taking out their frustrations on the patients.

5. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    It would be fantastic if we could get medical aid for free here as it would save a lot of people, especially the elderly who have a lousy pension too. The state hospitals are free but the chances of you surviving when you come out are slim to none and if you do then you are lucky if you come out with the same disease that you went in with

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There is a medical insurance scheme in our country that involves premiums valued at $5 on a monthly basis. Its not tied to the workplace and even self employed individuals are free to join. It covers both inpatient and outpatient medical care. Some time ago, my nephew had a hole in the heart and was scheduled for open heart surgery in India and the insurance scheme covered up to 80% of the expenses. This scheme has got a facility where even one's family members can be covered.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that sounds great @remnant@remnant! For the price, it's more than worth it. I was disappointed to find the private medical health cover I thought I'd go with is not available here. I saw a notice at my private doctor's surgery saying they accepted BUPA, a highly esteemed UK medical insurance company. My husband was also excited and would have gone with it in a heartbeat, but then when we enquired, it just means that for all visiting Brits who have BUPA medical insurance, they can use it here. But with us living here, we have to look for other options. So the search continues. What annoys me about the local ones is that if you have a pre-existent condition for which you need medication for life, they automatically escalate the price.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have the affordable care act here, and it helps pay for doctor's visits etc. We also have clinics that are run by Federal Grants that are on a sliding scale and are great for those who may not have a private doctor and are between too rich for medicaid, and too poor for conventional insurance. They can be a lifesaver..and people get good care through these clinics.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm in the United States, and have Medicare, which is the government insurance for those who are elderly and/or disabled. I paid into the system all of my life, while working, to afford me the 'privilege' of qualifying for Medicare. The problem is, now that I'm disabled, after I pay for the insurance and my other living expenses, there's nothing left. The sliding scale clinics do not accept those on Medicare, so I am unable to take advantage of them, despite being low income. I don't qualify for government assistance because they count gross income, which doesn't take into account what I pay for Medicare or student loans, so they consider that I have enough money to live on.