Meditation

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by alc89 • Nov 12, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone meditate? I do not, but would love to. I think an important part of health is having a sound body AND mind. Apparently, it is very relaxing and quiet. I do not have any religious connection with meditation, but am a big fan of peace and quiet, and being in a calm state of mind. For those of you who meditate, how did you start? What do you do? Do you have a schedule or a process that you go through? What's the best way to start, especially if I do not intend to do this for spiritual or religious reasons?

2. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I love christian mediation. I take a few related scriptures write them out on white board and mediate on them. I use only two or three scriptures at a time. I take scriptures that relate to my needs and moods. If I am upset or worried about something I take Psalm 23 or something like it and meditate. I use visualization to help make the affirmations real. By the end of twenty minutes I am calm, happy and energetic. It took me sometime to get here, but it is worth it.

3. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I probably won't take the same approach, as I am not meditating for spiritual reasons. But, I really like this idea of meditating on words. There are a ton of great motivational and meaningful quotes; if I just go on Pinterest, there's a whole bunch and they're all in fancy print! This seems like a really calm method, as well. And because you're actually concentrating on the words, it's as if you're actually moving towards something (an emotion, a conclusion, a feeling, etc.) instead of just sitting there to sit there.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try this!

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I meditate on a daily basis. It's one of the first things I do when I wake up in the morning. I started doing it when I joined a spiritual center that focuses on meditation as a spiritual practice.

If you are looking for secular guided meditations, I highly recommend Paul McKenna stuff. He focuses on general well being, self confidence, weight loss, positivity. His stuff is really great.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Meditation has nothing to do with Christianity, it is a Buddhist practice and some Christians oppose it because it doesn't have any Christian heritage.

I like to meditate for peace of mind, I'm not religious. I use natural music sounds in my meditation, it really helps me reach a deeply relaxed state.

6. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Bolt, whoever told you mediation has nothing to do with Christianity. Look up the Psalm especially psalm 117 it will teach you how to meditate. Christian mediation is a outgrowth of the older Jewish/Judaic meditation. Maybe you should look up

for your reference.

7. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    If you don't mind me asking, what do you think about... or what do you strive to do? I feel like whenever I try to relax, my mind is running with thoughts and I am left wondering what I have to do or what needs to be done. I can't just think of nothing or stop myself from letting my thoughts wander. I would love to know what you do, as you meditate for a peace of mind and not for religious reasons, which is exactly what I would like to do.

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Meditation is an Asian tradition, it's not associated with Christianity.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You learn to let go of your thoughts.

Have a look at the free audio downloads on bhuddanet to start off. That's where I started, it should help.

10. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Why do you have to have religious reasons to meditate? I love doing it because it helps me become more relaxed. I like just finding my inner peace and letting go of all my negative thoughts.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you meditate, you have to close your eyes right? That's a huge problem for me, because the moment that I close my eyes, I start to fall asleep. So whenever I try to do it, I always end up sleeping. I think meditation is only for those people who don't easily get drowsy.

12. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you mean with "meditation".
    Does staying awake up to the sunrise, listening to some smooth jazz, while enjoying a nice glass of whiskey seems meditating for you?
    Because if it is, then yes, i am meditating!

13. Sondra

SondraNew Member

Threads:
    I use to do meditation and yoga because it makes me comfortable and i'm learning now how to control myself.

#13Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Obviously that isn't meditation. There is a big difference between enjoying yourself, relaxing and meditation. It's good that you take time to enjoy music and have a glass of whiskey, I'm sure it's good for your mental state if you don't drink too much, but it's not meditation.

Meditation is a skill which must be learned, I don't know anyone who could meditate at the first attempt.

15. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I have tried to meditate quite a few times, but never managed to. I have been able to quiet my mind a little, concentrating on my heart or on a koan, but I have never been able to achieve 0 thoughts. In my mind there are always many thoughts and it is hard, possibly with more practice it is achievable.

16. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I try to meditate whenever I practice yoga. It has really been helping me to take a few breathers and to just relax and enjoy the moment. I used to stress over everything but with meditation I am gaining a new and healthier and calmer perspective on life which I am very grateful for.

17. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I think that calming down or mind can only bring positive results because a very agitated mind brings nothing but confusion. In an ultimate perspective I believe that if we can calm our mind deep enough we become wiser and we see life in a simpler and better way...

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do enjoy it, but I don't do it often. I need peace to do it and that's nature for me. Many people don't believe they can control their minds, until they do, they won't be able to shut off their thoughts. It takes practice, but you literally have to shut them off lol.. ignore them.. think of nothing and go from there. The most peaceful and thought provoking thing I can do for myself these days is hiking. Or just sitting on a deserted waterfront. Not meditation exactly, but it does the same thing for me. It's the only time my mind is completely open and everything seems simpler.

19. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I never really tried doing meditation. I think it's a good way to relax, calm yourself. It cleans your mind. I been wanting to try it myself. I think it will take a lot of practice for someone to be able to do that.

20. steisehodgson

steisehodgsonMember

Threads:
    I would recommend anyone to start meditating, the feeling you get during and afterwards is amazing, and meditation has really helped me to be a much more mindful, calm and positive person. For me I have to be in the right state of mind to be able to meditate properly, I need to want to do it, but when I am in that state of mind it really is amazing. I've learned a lot about myself through meditation. There are so many different types of meditation that for a beginner it can be very confusing about what to do. When I first started I pretty much ignored all the breathing exercises that I was told would help me to reach a meditative state, and just focused on calming my mind. After a while I managed to reach that state and it felt amazing. I would suggest reading up on it a bit, and the different techniques there are. If you don't get it the first few times then don't worry, keep trying and you wont regret it! :)