Mega is free

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Peninha • Jan 14, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe I am coming in late, but just yesterday I made an account on Mega and they gave me for free 50GB of cloud space. I haven't explored the service in detail, but it seems pretty similar to Dropbox or Google Drive. Anyone has an account on Mega, 50GB free is pretty awesome no? :cool:

2. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    Mega is really great. Not only does it offer a lot of storage, they also encrypt everything (they can't even decrypt the files themselves) and they have a nice way of letting users share files.
    If you download a files from Mega, it is first buffered in the background and when it is completely ready, it is pushed to your PC in 1 second.
    They also have apps for every platform.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is it the same as megaupload? Please clarify because I've tried looking up Mega and the search results are hardly helpful. Please give us the full URL.

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like using Mega because of how I'm not allowed to download with my own manager. I have to keep the window open to download and sometimes I close them accidentally. The speed is decent for a free service.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found great that "arkanoid" style thing at the start beating up NSA, don't exactly understood what was it for. What do you mean they have apps for every platform delusional?

@Denis:

@daimashin, I don't use any other download managers so I don't have that issue, but the speed cannot be compared with any other free service, you can dowload 1GB for example in 3-4 minutes!

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I didn't use Megaupload at all back then, but I'm guessing it's similar in some ways, but from what I remember, video streaming was possible in Megaupload which doesn't seem to be a feature that's present anymore in this current service. As for the URL, it is Mega.co.nz .

I've started using this service recently, and I agree, the 50 GB free is great, and I hope it sets the new standard for other cloud services soon, since most of them only offer about 5-20 GB which most of them even make you jump hoops through just to earn it. At least with Mega, it's all free right off the bat. The only problem I have with it is that the upload speed is terribly slow for free users, which almost makes it not worth it to use, but I do understand why they make it that way since it still is a business at the end of the day and it's only practical to give priority to actual paying customers.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did have that problem recent with Chrome and Firefox and I've installed some add-ons and it was solved, at least for Firefox. Chrome still tends to be somewhat tricky, especially when the download begins, with uploads I have no issues.