Memory Card Reader

Discussion in Product Reviews started by iamawriter • Jul 2, 2017.

1. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    The market is flooded with memory card readers and most of them go out of commission with hardly any use or just do not work . I had to search online and spent days and days looking for a memory card reader for my camera. Finally on recommendations of a friend I ordered for

Quantum -QHM 5088 all in one card reader.

I ordered it through Amazon in and when it arrived I had apprehensions whether even this item would be a failure. But I just inserted it and it worked. I am very happy with it.

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    When you say it is all in one, Do you mean I can stick it to my smart TV and act as a USB? Most card readers cannot be read by my smart TV. That is one quality I wish card readers have. I like SD cards because they can store as much content or even more those expensive USB's.

3. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Beast-Titan It has the following description although I only use it for my camera memory card

"Plug and Play Wherever You Go Don't wish to carry messy cords and cables to transfer data from multiple portable mobile devices? Get the versatile Quantum QHM5088 card reader to transfer data instantly. With a sleek and compact design, it is extremely easy to carry even if you are travelling. Featuring an easy plug and play installation, you can use this with a wide range of compatible devices too. All you need to do is plug it in to start transferring the data. This memory card reader also lets you transfer the data from one memory card to the other. Supports Multiple Formats with High Transfer Rates This Quantum card reader supports a wide range of memory cards including T-Flash card, MS, MS Pro, MS Duo, MS Pro Duo, Mini SD, SD, MMC, RS MMC and Micro MS (M2). With a lightning transfer speed of up to 480Mbps, this multi format card reader will transfer those big sized HD videos in a jiffy. Also, the Quantum all in one card reader comes with LED power status indicator, which lets you know whether it is connected. So, the next time you are travelling with friends, sharing your fun moments together is just a card reader away! Brand: Quantum Compatible with: Windows ME/2000/XP/Vista/WIN7, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, Windows 98/2000 Colour: Blue, white and yellow LED power status indicator High transfer rate up to 480mbps Multi format and plug and play installation"

4. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use a memory card reader. I have inbuilt SD card reader in my laptop. When the memory card that I have to read is micro SD, then I will use micro SD card adaptor to read the card. Our market is flodded with cheap Chinese memory card reader, even if you buy "sony" it is likely that yours "sony" has been manufactured in China.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Why haven't I ever heard of these? To my surprise they are actually well known gadgets. I have been looking for something like this for my tablet which own memory card reader broke. I wasn't able to insert any sd cards anymore so there was not enough memory for what I needed it for so I sold it. If only I knew about these before.

6. TheBigTiger

TheBigTigerNew Member

Threads:
    Memory Card Reader is an important device. Via memory card reader we can connect a memory card to a laptop,desktop and TV. So, this cheap gadget is of great use. In simple terms we can say that a memory card reader can convert a memory card to a pendrive. I also own a Toshiba memory card reader which came free with Toshiba memory card when I ordered it from amazon.

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @kamai@kamai. These memory card readers do not last forever but they are quite cheap. The one I have at the moment is the best that I ever purchased. Hope it will last longer than those that I had bought earlier. The good thing is I now know what to go for if this card lets me down.

8. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    Memory card readers have many benefits.A multi card reader is used for communication with more than one type of flash memory card.Some card readers transfer images to a computer faster than transferring from a digital camera.Definitely,memory card reader allows you to transfer data at higher speed.

9. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I am really happy for you that it actually worked. Most times, I would say it's as a result of fake products that flood our market today that makes it hard to get a good memory card reader.

Personally, I have given up on using memory card or any form card reader because as of last 2 months ago, my 32 gigabyte memory card just started up one day and asked me to format, I declined do so as a result my data on it, only for it to just magically disappear from displaying at all. That was how I lost 32 gigabyte of my life.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Generally any card reader would work. It is the time when it is inserted to a laptop or desktop computer and it gets virus. And I think there is no card reader which is not vulnerable to viral intrusion. It is good for you that your memory card reader works. I think the best way to buy a card reader is to have it tested before paying it.

11. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    I feel that almost all card readers available in the market at the moment are quite similar in terms of capabilities and quality but you should always make sure to not get it infected with a virus.

12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Before starting to use it my anti virus shows up and asks if it could check for any viruses. Since the memory in there only comes from my camera I skip that activity. I am not sure if the card itself is infected but wonder what could be the reason.

13. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I have a multiple card memory card reader. It is very cheap and quite helpful. I use it sometimes though I have a memory card reader in my laptop. Older MMC cards can be read by my memory card reader. Sometimes when my smartphone data cable is not working, I use my memory card reader.

14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have had quite a bad experience with my old cards but this one I am totally satisfied. I will remember its name as I know no memory cards are permanent and since they are cheap I can always go for a new one if this one stops to deliver.

15. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    My previous laotop had inbult memory card reader, therefore, I never bought a memory card reader. However, my current laptop does not have inbuild card reader and I want a card reader. I can read memory card directly from the device, for example phone or camera, however, having a card reader is more convinent. I want a card reader that can read SD or micro SD cards.

16. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that the market has definitely became flooded with memory card readers, and it has become harder to find quality ones.

17. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @luri@luri The card that I bought Quantum -QHM 508 has several features. I have given all the details as comments in this thread. If you go through this thread you will get to know all about this item.

You are right about brands being different depending on where they have been manufactured and that would also speak of their quality. I had order for some Nestle chocolates and realised they were not genuine. One needs to be careful while shopping online.

@Nakitakona@Nakitakona Testing it is fine but for a person like me who prefers online shopping for various reasons it is a risk that I have to take and this time it worked. Not many card readers are good but this one turned out to be a great piece. I know it will not last and I am prepared for that.

#17Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
  18. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    With me it was a hit miss method. After missing several times I finally landed on target. My card reader is a multi tasker but I only use it for my camera. It is wise to keep a tab in the market to look for new entries.

19. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Memory card readers are quite cheap, I actually have several of them and they all work just the same, and they don't seem to malfunction, but then again I seldom use them. I guess memory card readers are a lot more durable than memory cards.

20. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    I think you're either lucky or careful since the majority of my memory card readers get infected and stop working after a while.