Met spouse on online?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Mayvin • Aug 6, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Curious to know if anyone has met a partner on a dating site? I've tried a few and found the people on there a bit shady coupled with all the online dating horror stories have made me leave internet dating alone. I have heard some positive stories where people have met someone but I've just been skeptical about putting my foot back into the online dating pool.

#1Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    First of all, online dating gets a very bad reputation that it does not deserve. I've heard all the horror stories too and honestly, it sounds like common sense wasn't used. You can usually get a good understanding of what a person is really looking for just based on their online profile. If they seem to be there for reasons that you are not then don't reply. Always meet anyone in a public place the first 2, 3, 10 times. You can never be too careful, this is true BUT you can't live your life afraid of what might happen. If you want to give online dating a try, then by all means, ignore the critics and go for it! You might be surprised.

All that being said, you can probably guess that I met my husband online. :) We were both very tired of the "scene" and just wanted to meet someone who was after the same things we were. I clicked "yes" on his profile, he messaged me, and the rest is history. We hit it off on the very first date, got married 6 months later, and now have a very active toddler running around! It might seem to an outsider that we moved fast but to us it felt like we had been waiting to meet each other for forever. I'm so glad he's the one I was meant for and I don't find any shame in the fact that I had to go online to make it happen.

Good luck!

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had an online dating profile and never met anyone online. I have girlfriends who have done online dating and I think they had the same bumps along the way that any dating scenario would have. The nice thing about online dating for most of them is that they could have a different date every day of the week if they wanted because I would say they thought everyone on the site wanted that because they were all looking for partners. The downside is they did come across some people who were less than truthful--especially about physical appearance--but that can happen dating online or not.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have met my partner online 5 years ago. But it wasn't on a dating site. It was in a forum for creative writers. We just felt an instant connection, reading each others words. We kept writing to each other for a long time, exchanging our thoughts and feelings, and after a while we started talking on the phone. It took almost a year before we actually met, because we lived in different parts of the world.
    We are still very happy together.
    Personally, I would stay away from dating sites. I think a lot of people there have very high expectations and desperate to find the "right one". If you are looking for ways to meet new people online, go to sites that interest you, and start interacting with the people there.

5. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Ouch! I was far from desperate when I signed up. I just wanted to find someone to connect to and go on a date with. I never expected to get married but here we are, 2 years later and I am happier than I ever was with anyone else. I think if you want to try online dating, you should go for it. Sure, some people might be creepy or only out for a quick fix but you also might be surprised at who you'll meet.