Micro Workers: Think Minimal Wage is bad?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Thomas1117 • May 4, 2013.

1. Thomas1117

Thomas1117New Member

Threads:
    This site gets to make people waste hours earning pennies on the dollar! Who's with me?!

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I'm also a member of that site and I only completed 1 task over there, and I never bothered working at that website again. The pay is just so low, and the tasks are just time consuming, so you'll just be wasting your precious time working there. But for those who want to try the site out, the easiest tasks there would be the paid to sign up offers and the Yahoo Answers tasks.

3. sking61

sking61Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you both are commenting on site because I was actually thinking about joining. Now that I receive incite about what the pay is I won't even bother too. Thanks.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I use to do task for this website, but I stopped. Yes, I made a little money doing it and I kept it up for awhile. But then they changed their payment plan from paypal to alertpay, and this was what made me walk away from them. Yes, I know the pay wasn't that good for the most part, but there were some assignments that did pay well and I was averaging around $20 per month with them, which isn't too bad for such a site.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That reminds me of a certain website where people do research on questions and text the answers to customers who ask them.
    When it originally started, some people worked it like a job and were able to pay bills. But then they used the database of answers that those people built to switch to automation and stopped sending questions for those researchers to answer.
    So their workers went from making minimum wage to pennies an hour. I'm not going to name them because their lawyer bots crawl the web looking for people badmouthing them.

Anyone who worked for that site knows who I'm talking about. There are legitimate side jobs that you can do online to make a little extra money, just be sure you're not working yourself to death for pennies. Even selling some of your unwanted stuff online is preferable to answering 21 questions an hour for a penny a question, and half of the questions are prank questions from teens wanting to learn about different sex positions.

6. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I had looked at the micro workers site and was going to join, but then didn't only because I don't use AlertPay. I guess I should be glad now since it is time consuming and you can't make that much. I enjoy sites like that, but I am often leery of joining them because you don't know if they are scams or not, or if you will get paid.

7. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I think Amazon's Mechanical Turks (Mturks) is the best. You still have to be careful of the tasks that you choose to avoid wasting so much time. But it doesn't take long to get the hang of things. Use the turkopticon tool to allow you to see reviews of a "requester" before doing any work for them.

8. dagz16

dagz16New Member

Threads:
    I think i spent two hours on Amazon turk and made a whopping 2.20. I could probably find that much change just looking under my couch cushions.

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, some of these sites want you to take test after tests and rip you off for pennies doing worthless jobs. I have wasted so much time in taking those tests and making those grades only to find that I get less than 20 cents for half an hour of research work. Now, I do not work for any of those sites. I have my own sites and blogs and work for article contribution sites. At least they fetch me some money.

10. cmilliken

cmillikenMember

Threads:
    I have been searching around the internet for ways to earn money, and I am glad you have warned me about that site. I considered joining, just to see what it was like. However, I will not be doing so as I do not want to waste a lot of time making little money. Thanks!

11. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    Some people have mentioned Mechanical Turk, I've not used it myself for one reason; it's closed to any new members unless they're from the U.S. and it requires a social security number to verify that. If anyone is thinking of signing up, be aware of that.

There are forums out there which list the very best tasks to do, rated on payout, ease and time. If anyone signs up I suggest looking for those. I've seen a few people saying they earn quite a bit of it - not a wage, but enough to fuel a hobby.

12. kad613

kad613New Member

Threads:
    Amazon Turk is a micro site that I use. I usually only do Tasks that are over $0.10 and take less than a minute. The survey tasks are usually higher pay for less than 10 minutes of your time. The higher your rating the better the tasks available to you. It's not a lot of money and I only spend 20 minutes in the evening doing tasks and get paid for it. Amazon Turk has let me accumulate enough money to buy Christmas and birthday gifts as well as games for my son's PS3. Unless I find something better this will do for now.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not with you, it gives people the opportunity to earn a supplementary income. Some days there are not many good jobs listed but other days you can earn 5 dollars in 10 minutes.

Yeah, Mechanical Turks is closed to anyone outside the US, unfortunately. I would really like to be part of Mechanical Turks.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What tasks did you do on Microworkers that made you earn $20 per month? I used to think that the rates there are quite low for you to be able to make $20 per month.

15. Mercy77

Mercy77Member

Threads:
    Thanks for all the good tips here. I'm always looking for ways to make a little money and it's always good to know which sites to stay away from and which ones would be worth my while to look at. I think that no matter what site or company you decide to work for, you should get at least minimum wage. It's kind of sad to spend a whole day working on sites and come out with less than $5.00 a day. Maybe someday they'll make some laws that will protect workers in the cyber world.

16. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Microworkers has been good in the past few days, there have been a number of high paying jobs which were very easy to do. Today I uploaded a video on Youtube for 2 dollars. It didn't take long at all. I've earned around 10 dollars in the past 2 days, that's quite good for about an hour of work.

17. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I have not used Microworkers but have used similar sites. I think there are some good sites out there to make a little bit extra each month, but some of them are just not worth your time. I'd rather post in blogs, create blogs or do music reviews that pay better than sites like Microworkers.

18. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Well I am glad I came across this topic. I was thinking of joining the micro workers but now I am not too sure. I am looking for sites to make a little extra money all the time, but this site doesn't seem like it is worth your time and I only use paypal so it wouldn't be an option now anyway. Thanks for the heads up on this site.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean about the music reviews. A lot of the songs are bad and sometimes the site has glitches, but they still pay better than a lot of sites, as long as you put a lot of thought into your reviews and write meaningful, constructive stuff.

20. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What does annoy me about Microworkers is that the management of the website seems to be very casual. The payouts are quite fast, I don't have any complaints about that. However, complaints submitted against bad employers are very rarely acknowledged. It's good for employers who want free work but it's bad for us workers.