Micro Workers: Think Minimal Wage is bad?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Thomas1117 • May 4, 2013.

1. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    I've been hearing good things about Bubblews. It's an article writing website. You get paid per view and there's a system where you link to other writers to get more views.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's almost abusive the way some sites take advantage of people who want to work online, either because they have babies at home or they go to college.
    I wish there was some organization that regulated online jobs and monitored whether they pay fairly and pay out on time. Someone needs to shut down all the scam sites.
    It's funny how we have a labor department to make sure that offline employers pay out minimum wage and don't mistreat workers, but online it's like the Wild West and employers do whatever they want.
    A site can just decide one day to start paying its workers in points and the workers can't do anything. Oddly this seems to be the only area that the government stays out of.

3. Ohyesuare

OhyesuareNew Member

Threads:
    I was on there and didn't like it at all. They don't care about the quality of articles, most people on there seem to not have the greater grasp of English. Plus every other article is a complaint of not getting paid. The minimum payout is $25 so who wants to work that it way up to that and then not get paid.

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds interesting. I've never heard of this website so I'll have to check it out. Do you know how much they pay for one view?

I used Media Piston for article writing but they shut down, unfortunately. It would be good to find another article writing website which pays well.

5. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    This would be far too difficult to implement unfortunately. 'The government' would probably have problems doing anything, because of a couple reasons;

1) No power - These sites are based in all sorts of different places in the world. The U.S. government would find it difficult to shut down a website based in Australia or Sweden.

2) No motivation - The majority of people who use these sites are likely not reporting their income to the tax office, as they legally should.

6. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I also tried this site. I thought that each micro job would only take seconds like clicking on a website or such. It turns out that if it is a click on a particular site there are dozens to complete so each micro job is in reality several tasks that pay pennies. I tried it once and never returned to the site.

7. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    I just signed up for micro workers and I understand what you guys are saying but for those who want to have multiple income streams it is a good start and fr those who waste time just commenting on Facebook and watching YouTube videos it is much better than nothing.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    If I were you I would stay away from bubblews. I was on there for about a month and all was fine at first but after my first redeem of $25 they stopped paying. No explanation. Some people continue to write in hopes getting the 5, 6, 7th ect... redeem the haven't gotten. I just choose to move on.

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind Micro Workers sometimes you can get high paying jobs. I found it used to be rubbish but now it seems to of picked up. I like it, even though some of the jobs pay next to nothing, at least its something and they aren't hard to do.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of their jobs are scams. I've noticed in a lot of cases, people are posting tasks on there that cannot realistically be completed. They will tell you to complete some survey or sign up for some service then paste some certain information into MicroWorkers to verify that you completed it, only that information doesn't exist anywhere. By that point, it's too late. You've already generated a "lead" for them with whatever third party company they are working with to pay them per lead. The most you could do to retaliate is report them to Microworkers, but they can't withold the payment the scammer is getting for their leads since those are separate companies. All they can do is kick the scammer out of Microworkers, in which case they will just come back under another username.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I disagree, the worker is not forced to do the work, they choose to do it. I personally don't see websites like Microworkers in the same light as a real job. Yes the pay rate is low per hour but you are doing random little tasks on the internet, it is for a supplemental income.

12. kristyleann

kristyleannMember

Threads:
    I've never used Microworkers. I use mTurk sometimes and I made about $47 on there last month just logging in randomly whenever I was bored. It's not much but that's pretty good pocket change. If you use mTurk I highly recommend checking out a reddit called "hits worth turking for" or something like that where people list the good hits. Also, download a browser extension called Turkopticon. It will show how other workers rate certain requesters. Some requesters are bad for rejecting work so if everyone says they reject work a lot, then I wouldn't bother working for them.

I wrote on Bubblews until I made the $25 required for payment and they have never paid me and they ignored all my e-mails. A lot of other people are getting scammed by them too. I don't think they'll be around much longer. If you're going to use them I highly recommend cashing out the MINUTE you can and seeing if you get paid. Better to get scammed out of $25 than to keep writing and writing and get scammed out of much more.

13. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    I am currently on this website and I find the pay is low and the task as time consuming. I don't even have the desire to use this website as a result of that. I don't think you can refer people and get paid on this website.

14. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Never heard of Micro workers. I am on Bubblews and find it quite enjoyable. Guess the best way to find out about things is to go to forums like this and get the straight answers from people who have tried them.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed, nobody is forced to work for these task sites, but it sucks that people can't make decent money online. There are tasks that need doing, and there are people willing to work so it's unfortunate that most websites are only willing to pay 2 cents for someone to write a long article. I keep hearing about people who are happy about making $10 in a day. That's not good money.

16. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    It's not worth a damn, very disappointing when you are only seeking to earn a living or extra cash!

17. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I've only heard terrible things about micro workers. It is a waste of time at least that is what friends have told me. I don't think it is a healthy idea to stare into a computer for endless hours day after day only to make peanuts. A real world minimum wage job is better.

18. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Micro jobs are terrible. You work and work and you work some more and you collect a few cents or one or two dollars per day if you are lucky. There are plenty of other sites where you can do better than micro tasking, Bubblews for example of Survey sites. I agree with indigo, to be wasting time micro-working it's better to find a real job.

19. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard about this website. There are plenty of micro-working websites that offer various pay levels but this has to be one of the worst in my eyes.

I know a few people that say to steer well clear of it, and a quick Google search backs up these opinions. You need to be really desperate if you want work for this level of pay.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I completely agree with you. In fact from what I have learned it is better to have multiple streams online. You should never rely on just one site. They may shut down or at the very least stop paying people. I have experienced this. There were two sites I never got to cash out with but a lot of other people did. Needless to say I was pretty bummed. Imagine if I didn't have other sites to fall back on.
    Actually this can be be true in the offline world too. Many people don't have just one job anymore.

Microworkers is sort of tedious but what is great about it is unlike a CPT site you don't have to be very active. I didn't log in for 2 months but my earnings were still there. I earned a good bit. You just have to pick a category/categories you think you can do. I do the searching because they seem to be the easiest. It even says on there if you don't think you can finish the job don't do it. I did get marked wrong which sucked because they never did get back with me on that but only once out of several tasks.
    I didn't know they didn't have Paypal though so I don't know how I'll get my money but I'll find a way I suppose.

#40Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013