Microsoft Outlook 2013

Discussion in Product Reviews started by squeeiswin • Jan 31, 2015.

1. squeeiswin

squeeiswinNew Member

Threads:
    So, I've been using multiple email addresses for years: one personal email, one school email, two for video games and junk email, and then a 10minutemail whenever I feel the need. Being that my school email and a videogame/junkmail address are both gmail-linked while the other two accounts are outlook-based, it was a pretty big hassle to switch from tab-to-tab and go through all the necessary sign-ins and sign-outs. Then comes Outlook.

I can't say it's without bugs or that I would personally be able to justify the substantial cost of Office 365 (if I hadn't gotten the software for free through school). But, what I can say is that it's a ton easier to just click the different inboxes, be able to sort through all of my emails and mark all as read (I went from about 20,000 unread emails from the past 8 years or so to 0 within an hour of setting up the program). Plus, being that a couple of the accounts are almost never checked, it's great to be able to avoid switching back and forth between accounts as much as possible.

My biggest complaint about the program so far is that there's no built-in function to modify alerts and notifications on a per-account basis.

What do you guys think of the program? Do you have others that you'd recommend as an alternative for people who don't want to get Outlook?

2. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I have outlook 2013. I use it too, but I find that I weed out most of my mail on my phone where I have the option to use the outlook app (which is free) or use the latest gmail app which now supports exchange mail. Notifications are a big pain for me too. Thunderbird with the ExQuilla add-on would support exchange server too. That is a free option with a few advantages.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used Outlook for many years at various jobs that I had, but in recent years I started working for myself and ultimately updated my Office suite to Office 2013 and I can say that I really dislike Outlook 2013. I don't know what they did to the program but it loads and runs incredibly slow on my computers. It used to not carry much of a performance hit at all, but now it's a big sluggish mess that is constantly freezing up whenever I try to jump in and check some emails in it.

My other issue is that services such as GMail do a much better job at filtering out spam, as opposed to setting up your own personal email accounts in Outlook directly. I just have my other emails forwarded to my Gmail account, and filter them within Gmail. When I set them up in Outlook directly, I end up getting all that spam that Gmail was once doing a great job at filtering on its own. These spam emails in particular slow down Outlook even further as they all come pouring in.

Something else to keep in mind when using Outlook, is to make sure you set it to not delete emails off your server if you think you may need them down the road - such as if you wanted to look up an old email you sent or received. Otherwise they will be gone for good, and only stored in Outlook itself.

4. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I never used outlook. I find them quite difficult and not user friendly. For my personal and business emails I usually used GMAIL or YAHOOMAIL. They are quite better than MS OUTLOOK. GMAIL is the best followed by Yahoomail. OUTLOOK nope.