Microwave Potato Chip Maker

Discussion in Product Reviews started by PubD • Nov 7, 2012.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been meaning to give this a try since it sounds interesting. I wonder if you could rig up some system where you have stacked plates with the chips on them in the microwave to make more of them at once. Like, perhaps put some plastic cookie cutters or something between the plates to lift them up a bit.

I've tried cooking pasta in the microwave and that works really well too. Another one is popcorn - instead of buying those microwave popcorn pouches with fake butter and preservatives, just put some popcorn kernels in a paper lunch bag and twist it to seal it up, works the same way and it's much healthier.

Incidentally, I also heard you can make potato chips in a food dehydrator, if you happen to have one of those as well.

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been interested in buying a dehydrator for a while now. I'd like to dehydrate fruits and herbs etc. I suppose you would need to slice the potato very thinly if you want to dehydrate a potato. Does anyone own a dehydrator? Would you recommend buying one?

3. dgb1975

dgb1975New Member

Threads:
    At first read I am really skeptical about this, I just cannot imagine getting a good chip from the microwave. With so many people giving it a good review I may have to give this a try. I normally make my own chips the old fashioned way. Slicing, soaking, drying and frying! I get good results, but it is time consuming, messy and not so healthy.

Thanks for the reviews!

4. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    This would work, BUT... you'd need to find some silicone plates that either have ridges or holes so that there's air-flow around the chips, and limited surface area for the potato to stick to. I have successfully made crispy chips on a regular ceramic plate, but the mess created by the chips sticking TO the plate made it annoying and not worthwhile trying again.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have fried my own chips but have not thought of putting them in the microwave. Keep us posted if you give it a try.

6. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a great idea. What a great price for a mandolin and the chip cookers or whatever they are called. I am going to remember this for my Christmas presents list.

7. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Haven't seen one of these before, really neat! I've made chips the old fashioned way before and I loved them so this is something that I might try out myself sometime soon.

8. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen a commercial recently on a new type of microwave chip maker called Chip-Tastic. It looks a bit like a crown, with the chips going a round a circle in slots as oppose to sitting on a plate. So, this might eliminate the sticking problem that some have encountered in the past. Problem though, this is a relatively new product, so not much is out there about how it actually performs and whether it lives up to its claims.

9. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I've never even heard of this before. It sounds quite interesting. However, I'm still not sure how healthy this would be. I'm sure significantly better than anything you buy from the store. I still probably rather stick to baking healthy, homemade sweet potato fries. But still interesting sounding product!

10. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    have never heard of this......sounds interesting though. Any benefit nutrition wise? Are they healthier than regular chips?

11. Smackz

SmackzNew Member

Threads:
    I think that microwave potato chip makers are more of a product for kids (under the supervision of an adult). It's cool to use and it would be a great way to teach your child about healthy eating; especially limiting salt intake. But, because of the preparation and cook time, you'll find it easier to just buy a bag of chips at your local store.