Mid-week Shopping

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Nov 24, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does the time or day when you shop matter?

Apparently it does. You are more likely to get discounts on grocery items in the middle of the week because they restock on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays and at that time they'll mark down the prices of some items.

To be honest I've never noticed such a huge difference or maybe it's because I wasn't being all that observant.

Question: do you think people save more if they buy groceries in the middle of the week?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some stores do have more stock in the mid week, especially discount stores. In general Tuesday to Friday will have newer stocks as Monday is a restock day after the weekend where there are no deliveries and fewer staff.

Some stores like Aldi will do weekend deals, starting Thursday to attract shoppers and will have specially price items for that period.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are definitely more reduced items in my local supermarkets after 4pm (or 2pm on a Sunday) but seeing as we have 24 hour opening throughout most of the week, the day you visit rarely makes any difference. Monday mornings are useless if you want fresh goods - as @Theo@Theo says, they are waiting for a re-stock but apart from that, its the time of day that makes the difference for me, rather than the day itself.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Whether or not shopping midweek would result in extra savings for everyone is I think a little tricky - particularly as various aspects like location as well as store policy and opening hours could be a factor here.

In fact for me - it makes no difference whatsoever what day of the week I choose to shop in terms of whether there are better deals or discounts to had - as where I live - none of the stores ever offer anything like that - it does however make a huge difference if looking to get value for money.

Which is why I've always preferred to shop midweek - as not only is it quicker as the stores are less crowded - but as all stores here are closed from Saturday afternoon - Monday afternoon and the majority generally stock up between Tuesday and Thursday and then run the stocks right down until the following week - I get better value for money - as shopping when there is a whole lot more choice and everything is fresher than later on in the week - gives me the opportunity to pick up the better quality items while they're available - rather than pay the exact same price for the dregs left at other times of the week.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember looking for the smallest size of padlock in Ace Hardware, but I was told that they didn't have any and will re-stock the next day, which is Mon. So even in hardware stores they adhere to the same schedule. I don't notice that much sales though in the middle of the week. But then again I'm not often in the mall.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop during the middle of the week to avoid the crowds in the store, it has never come to my attention that there were sales or items discounted on the weekends and not during the week. It would have to be a very good discount for me to go to the store on the weekend, if I did go into the store it would be as soon as the doors opened to avoid the crowds and long lines.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never noticed this but I suppose I'll have to, but honestly I mostly do all my showing midweek anyway so I'm glad that I at least have a higher probability that I was getting discounts all along. I don't think the items I buy get price cuts that often or that much though so I'm thinking it would be mostly the same for me whether I shop mid week or on the weekends but now that I'm aware of this theory I'll have to give it a try and I'll be more observant on my next few shopping trips.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Great point! I have noticed that one local grocery store usually marks down meat selections on Wednesday, in order to sell meats that are close to their expiration date. Sometimes it works out in my schedule for me to shop that particular day, however, I do not go out of my way in order to shop on that day.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    This is interesting. I normally shop mid week because I get to avoid all of the weekend crowds and find that the sales flyers have good deals when you shop during the week. I also like to shop for groceries either late at night or bright and early in the morning because this is when they mark down fresh foods like meat, dairy, fruits and veggies. I circle around the grocery store looking for the discount price tags before I venture into the rest of the store.