Milk in the omelet

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Oct 10, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently I became aware that quite a few people add milk to their eggs to make the omelets fluffier. I haven't had the opportunity to try this just yet, so I am wondering, is this true? Have you done that? How much milk should I add for, let's say, half a dozen eggs?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know water will certainly make your eggs fluffier when making an omelette or scrambled eggs - when I've done it in the past I put about 1 Tbsp per egg. I don't do this very often though for omelettes since I am already adding other stuff in the filling the contains excess moisture which causes the steam and already fluffs up the eggs, such as frozen spinach or frozen peppers I thawed out.

Milk I've been told, will make your eggs richer tasting, not necessarily fluffier. The thing I would caution about milk though, and the same reason I prefer olive oil over butter when cooking eggs, is that the milk solids have a tendency to brown quickly. So if you don't want any browning on your omelette or scrambled eggs you might want to skip the milk or butter.

3. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen Grodon Ramsey use cream or some type of dairy product. It is used to give it more fluffiness and creamy texture to the egg. I generally use olive oil when preparing eggs in the morning and it seems to do a better job than other methods. I have not tried using milk and butter for cooking, but it seems like a small risk. But with enough experience you will be able to make a perfect egg, it will only take a few attempts or more.

4. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    Yes its true, not it makes it fluffier but also it control the smell that keeps around whole day you make omelette, For a 2 egg omelette, add about 2 spoon full of milk, while stirring eggs.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to do this but not much anymore because I prefer to keep the eggs pure and rich and I don't really seek fluffiness all that much. Though, I did used to do this by adding a splash of milk into my eggs and it sometimes does turn out better but like I said I prefer to keep it original. If you like, you could also try using water since that evaporates much faster and the steam ends up fluffing up your eggs before it evaporates completely but doesn't add much more richness like cream would.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never added milk, but I did add cream before. It makes it way fluffier and pastier. I don't love omelet, I prefer scrambled eggs, so I don't experiment a lot when it comes to omelets. However I always try to mix it up with different seasonings and ingredients.

7. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I always add a little bit of milk to omelets or scrambled eggs. Like Evelyn said, it helps to sort of make the eggs smell less like egg if that makes any sense. It also makes it fluffier and with scrambled eggs that means it fills the plate visually more without having to use more eggs.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For a half a dozen of eggs, you might want to put around half to three-fourths cup of milk, and add a little amount of flour. This is what my grandmother is used to be doing. Not only does the omelette becomes fluffy, it also tastes creamier. Sometimes when my grandmother is just after for the fluffiness and framework, she would rather put a mayonnaise instead of milk. It's taste equally good, though differently.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip Evelyn, I have never tried it, but I have always envied those big fluffy omelets that I see on TV. So you say that for each egg a spoon full of milk, it seems easy enough to memorize, I'll give it as try. :)