Millenials' Attitude Towards Mcdonald's (is This Why Mcd Is Failing?)

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Laura Greenbrier • Feb 10, 2015.

1. Laura Greenbrier

Laura GreenbrierNew Member

Threads:
    McDonald's has been struggling over the past few financial quarters against restaurants in the "fast casual" segment, such as Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotle, and Panera. Why is this so? Are we witnessing the purchasing power of the rising millenial generation? If so, is McDonald's failing to tap into this growing market? What do you think? The classic American chain has enjoyed decades of hegemony in the fast-food world, but is now scrambling to regain the traction it had long enjoyed. Are you a millenial? What is your attitude towards the chain?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a millenial, but I can say this: McDonald's foods are not healthy. Chipotle is owned by McDonald's corporation, and those other two fast-foods are not even close to competing against the burger chain. The biggest reason I believe McDonald's is losing it's pull in the fast food market over people is the fact that more information about their foods is readily available for the mass of people, and this is having an adverse effect. People want more bang for their buck, including foods that are nutritional and beneficial to their bodies.

I personally stopped eating at McDonalds years ago, because their foods gave me headaches and light-headiness every time I eat them.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. It's been attacked from every end, making it very easy for people to target them and continue to eat pretty much the same thing next door at whatever fast food place isn't McDonalds. Had there been movies and youtube videos and articles and campaigns attacking the others, there sales likely would have suffered as well. They're all the same thing.. but people need a target, not a real change. There's also the fact that many people really do want to be healthier and they believe the marketing so opt for the "healthier choices".. which just aren't so. There is also the image thing... can't have the appearance of health while you're downing a big mac, but apparently you can while scarfing down a sub.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I think we have started to care more about what we are putting into our bodies & less about getting the cheapest deal. You pay a dollar for a burger that ends up costing you thousands in health money. It's ridiculous. However, casual fast food is not necessarily better. The only chain mentioned I feel is conscious of the importance of where food comes from would be Chipotle. However, they are still a business & money is always king.

5. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a millennial and I don't eat at McDonald's for a few reasons. I don't tend to spend money on fast food, it's not exactly healthy, and I'm a strict vegetarian and almost 100% vegan so most of the options wouldn't be something I could eat anyway.

I hadn't heard that McDonald's is suffering until now, but I can't say I'm surprised. It's seen as pretty much the face of unhealthy food. And all corporations take a dip in popularity at some point - look at RadioShack, Kmart, Blockbuster, etc.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the movie "Supersize Me" did more damage than good in some regards - there are people now who think eating at Chipotle is somehow "healthier" than eating at McDonalds, when it's really not. A burrito and diet soda at Chipotle has far more calories and fat than a typical combo meal with a diet soda at McDonalds. Regardless of how processed McDonalds food is vs. Chipotle, their portions are enormous, they still pile one fattening ingredients such as sour cream, cheese, and tons of high calorie rice.

I was on EDiets diet plan years ago, and one of the substitutions for lunch if I couldn't bring my own and had to eat fast food was - McDonalds. A Quarter Pounder with no cheese, a small fry and a diet soda still stayed within my 500-ish calorie limit for lunch and met their nutritional guidelines.

BW3's and Panera aren't any better than McDonalds either. Actually, I'm surprised to see either of these on the list, since they became popular during my generation (I'm in my late 30's). BW3's is a chain version of a dive bar, complete with greasy wings and fries and other fried food. Practically all their menu items are deep fried. Panera is all carbs and cheese.

It's become trendy to bash McDonalds in the past 10 years in particular. And while I'm not a fan of processed food and fast food in general, I don't get the irrational hatred towards one particular chain restaurant, while giving other restaurants whose menus are worse for you in many regards a stamp of approval.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually , I have no problem with McDonalds. They have free WiFi and cheaper coffee drinks than Starbucks.
    I see a lot of people at my local McDonalds just watching Fox and Friends, drinking a caramel frappe and surfing the web. I think the McDonalds locations that have McCafe will be fine because people would rather spend $2.39 on a coffee drink than $6.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Hey, I'm a "Millennial". I don't eat at McDonald's, because I know that hey, fast food has never been and will never be healthy or good for me. We're taught our entire lives that "FAST FOOD IS BAD" so it is any surprise that not as many in my generation has just stopped or never started eating it? :cool:

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just hate McDonald's because the thought of their food makes me sick. I USED to like their nuggets and they would have the best apple pies. Now they don't even have that going for them anymore. I don't like most fast food places (unless it's pizza if that counts) but they're the worst to me.

10. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    It's probably a combination of factors like increased number of competitors, and increased knowledge that fast food is highly processed and not good for you. Why would you spend money on such a thing when there are healthier alternatives available at around the same price?

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must confess that I have a McDonalds cheeseburger and fries once a month, from their pound menu. I can't afford fast food at the best of times but sometimes, you want an unhealthy treat. The pound menu makes this affordable for me.

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been a fast foodie in a whole lot of years, but really can't imagine McDonalds having a hard time. As far as I can tell, the ones around here seem to have a good business and it's still the all-time kiddy favorite. Plus, I think a lot of the college students eat there a lot. Or maybe, as someone above suggested, the college crowd might be mainly coffee drinkers. There's not a Starbucks or any other thing like that around.