Misleading Ads

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Aug 22, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've clicked on some ads on the net because the deals were rather enticing. Free shipping seems to be how online retailers grab people's attention easily. While on the ads the say it's free shipping for all orders when you land on the site it's quite a different— "Free shipping for all orders over . . ."

Why do they have to lie? Would you buy anything from such merchants/stores?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You fell for the verbatim where the asterisk with the small print was so tiny you couldn't see it. I know ads are rarely 100% accurate and I had the same, where a site I am looking at offers free shipping with a big order, because they need to generate more sales.

I wish they could be like L.L. Bean where shipping is 100% free regardless of how much the order value is. I would still buy if I needed the items and I wasn't buying too much to make up the amount for the free shipping.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's very annoying, and I think it's designed as a marketing ploy to get people through the "doors", so to speak. unbeknownst to them, If other shoppers are anything like me, they may hook them in that instance, but once they find out the truth and feel duped, they may lose out on sales. I get fed up and tend to leave without buying anything. I feel it's a waste of my time and energy.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Advertisers had to do it so that there will be more people that would be initially interested on their offer and products, they use a bait to lure them in. But in reality they require a certain amount for you to get the freebie that they are offering. So we really must always read the terms and conditions on any offer that seems to good to be true, because more often than not they have a hidden charge.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am always highly suspicious of special deals on the internet. Nine times out of ten there is a catch. I wanted to buy some shoes recently and came across a website that was selling the brand that I was looking for at a greatly reduced price. But after reading the reviews of that site, I decided against it. Many people who bought shoes at that site reported receiving dirty or worn shoes. Others commented that they got the wrong kind of shoes. It all sounds a bit dubious to me.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have posted this already but may I reiterate for the sake of others who have not read my post. I ordered a purse from Mizzue, an online shop based here in the Philippines. The price is 1,800 pesos. When the item arrived, I was charged of 1,200 covering freight tax because the sender was from Hongkong. So that is a misleading ad, saying the shop is in the Philippines but the goods are coming from Hongkong and with tax at that.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I am fine with it. As long as it doesn't cross the line of becoming too much like a scam I think having a few exaggerations on their ads here and there is to that shady. I just see it as the price of having good products since competition breeds better value but at the same time it also causes companies to have to resort to these things to grab more attention than their competitors.