Misleading Food And Product Advertisements

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by sidney • Jun 3, 2013.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you guys noticed that alot of food advertisements and leaflets seem to be misleading? I ordered 2 burgers from Wendy's because the meat looks really thick in the picture. I ordered the Bacon Mushroom Melt and the 1/4 pound single w/ cheese. But when I got my order, the meat looks REALLY THIN, just imagine the thinnest burger patty that you can think of, like if you hold only 1 side, the meat starts to split since it's that thin. So now I figured that I won't be buying burgers from Wendy's again, especially when a popular fastfood chain here in our country serves really thick meat in their burgers. So how about you, do you know any misleading food or product ads that you would like us to be aware of? What was your experience with them?

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    This is usually one of the great problems of the advertising market. In most cases, the product featured in the ads is different from the product that offers the business. In that case, the customer feels cheated, but the commercial transaction has been started. In my country, for example, there is the possibility of a complaint with the Consumer Protection Bureau to prevent such abuse in advertising. Thus, the merchant receives a fine and injured client may receive financial compensation. However, we must accept the rules of the capitalist machine and submit to arbitrary market intentions. :confused:

3. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Two things:

They build a big burger for the commercial and sell something relatively smaller in-store.

or

Some Wendy's in certain parts of the country, make their burgers larger than others. I notice this about some Dominoes pizza's here in N.Y. The ones in the Bronx prepare lousier pizza than the ones in Manhattan.

or

They use camera angle and zoom tricks to make the food item appear larger in the commercials than it really is when you purchase it. I suspect it's a little bit of all three. But mostly number 3.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree with you guys, they make it appealing in the commercials, leaflets and in the pictures in their store to entice us to buy their food, while the ones that they serve obviously isn't that generous when it comes to the serving portions and ingredients. That is outright deception!

@ NickJ, I saw the Wendy's leaflet, and I was enticed to buy their burgers. In fairness, I love their onion rings and frosty, but their burgers were not what they present them to be in their ads.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I have had this happen before where something looks really good but once I get it, it looks nothing like the picture and it isn't good at all.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    This got me to wondering if those magic yoghurt drinks actually work, you see people looking down and slow and after a couple of these yoghurts that contain "good bacteria" they are full of life in no time.

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    No, the only thing that they put there is something that not does good or bad to you, just a placebo to get you to feel good for what you buy.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've noticed that this kind of advertising is pretty ubiquitous, at least in the US. It's usually the case that what is being presented to you in the pictures is at best an appealing exaggeration.

9. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    It's for a simple reason. That simple reason is to get sales. You wouldn't want to know what companies do to try and get customers buying their products. All those absurd ads about the knives, blenders, vacuums, basically anything that is for a discounted price is fake. It's all false advertising.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not even real food in the commercials and ads. Of course they aren't going to lure you in with what they really serve lol. Same with grocery stores. They want you buying their fruit and veggies so they inject them and dip them and dye them to make them pretty and "fresh" in appearance. Same with everything on the shelf.. false advertising and a bunch of lies or left out bits of important info or ingredients and they don't have to label it the way you think they would have to if the food wasn't completely safe or good for you. It's not just burger joints.. it's all places that sell false foods. Burger joints, chicken joints, grocery stores. We actually live in a time where everyone should fear their food, but would rather live in denial and fall back on "moderation is key, now leave me to my poison" lol.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is very misleading, you can't even trust what you read because the law is designed for them and they exploit loopholes in the law to intentionally mislead customers.

The solution is to not buy packaged processed food which contains lots of ingredients. Buy food in its whole natural form instead.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, advertisements can be misleading at times. After all it is the job of the advertiser to make something look good in a commercial or ad in a paper. So, we are consumers could be misled into thinking this is what we will be getting. I am however, somewhat surprised this happen at Wendy's. I have been there a few times myself and I have found that there food was as good as advertised. Maybe this had to do with that particular franchise itself.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I guess Wendy's in my country is scrimping in meat, that's why it's so thin. I think they should have a worldwide rule that franchises should strictly adhere to the designated portion size of their foods.

14. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Over the years commercials and advertisers will try to sell their food no matter how unhealthy it is.
    It is just such a shame that we live in such a society but we can't really do anything about this since its the business if money and not health. Therefore it is up to us to read each label.

15. Kramer

KramerNew Member

Threads:
    At Target they got the big soft pretzels and one day I decided to get one and to my unhappy surprise instead of pulling one of the really pretty ones out of the display she got it from under the counter somewhere and stuck it in the microwave and splashed a bunch of greasy stuff that was not butter nor invited on it. When I got it, it was kind of oddly shaped and really soggy. Ugh - never again.

16. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    This is really common. As someone already said, it's often not even real food in the photos that are used for advertisements.

'Healthy' meals, which have a very high salt content and other unhealthy aspects are also very common. Be very careful when buying food labeled as healthy - some of them are about as healthy as a pizza.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a lot of food styling involved in food advertisements. They even spray dye to make the food look more colorful and spray lacquer to make the food look shiny. The food in magazines and ads has more makeup on it than most supermodels.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen Youtube videos of McDonald's food in Japan and France, and their burgers look like the ads.
    In fact French McDonald's serves fancy pastries and coffee ,like a real restaurant.
    Look at the baguettes and the little jars of jam.

Most of the bad McDonald's food is in America. The French take pride in their food.
    macdo-france-b68d8125812f14b75b5df1a3f284aed24dc55e0d-s4.

19. liverr

liverrNew Member

Threads:
    I think fast food burger joints are the biggest culprits of false or lat least dishonest advertising. This is why I think personal experience and word of mouth are the best ways to make an informed opinion on most goods, including food.

20. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Aha! So my initial gut feeling of suspicion was correct. I bet there are many more products that are exactly as you stated, not just food but I reckon some medicinal products as well.