Misplaced Pricing On Sale Items

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by AnnMarie • Dec 8, 2015.

1. AnnMarie

AnnMarieNew Member

Threads:
    I just hate it when I go to a drugstore for an item and see sale signs stuck underneath the product I want and it appears that it is on sale land when you get to the cash register, its not. How many times have I pored over the tickets stuck underneath the shelves of items trying to match up the product code with the correct sales tag. For the amount of price labels they put on the shelves, you;d think that they could stick one or two price tags on the merchandise itself so that you can see what product goes with what price. Either that or they should find some way to clearly mark sales items and keep them apart from regularly priced ones. Too often there will be a sales priced item with a non sale item right beside it, a sales item beside that, and a non sale item after that. So many times I've gotten to the counter only to find out that what I thought was a deal isn't. How often have people just bought something not on sale that they thought was, because they have a large order and the fact that they've just paid more than they thought they were goes unnoticed because of the size of the bill? I always double check my receipt and I watch any items I'm not sure on, as they go through the checkout. Anyone have any other suggestions as to how not to be fooled by misplaced price labels?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It happened to me once when there was a mistake in the tag price. Clearly indicated was the old price of 110 and the new price attached to the old one was 60. That's almost 50% discount. And to think that the item, a branded clothesline that is already soiled due to being an old stock, I was sure of the discount. Unfortunately, I had bought many items in that store and I only realized that I was billed 110 for that 60 blouse when I reached home. No need to return, just a waste of time and effort.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Know what you mean for it's happened to me a few times. It says on the shelf a special price and the cashier it's not the price the shelf special price is...now I ask is this .99 as the sign says? When they scan it they tell me yes or no. If it's no I tell them that's okay. It's alright when you got a few items, but when you got lots of items you're purchasing I put the ones I want to know about in a different section and still ask for a price check before I purchase.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's happened a few times, but I try to use a price scanner to check first if there is one in store. Usually I try to put that item through first and ask the cashier to check the price, and I state how much I saw it was, so then it's sorted at the start of the transaction. Sometimes it's down to incorrect pricing or someone hasn't adjusted it on the computer.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've worked extensively in retail in the UK. This does happen from time to time, it's very annoying and can get very embarrassing too. It can largely be attributed to human error. In all of the stores at which I've worked, if a customer came to the till with a misplaced item, we would sell it at that price. The reasoning behind that is that it's not the customer's fault, and the store then offers it at the price at which they saw it, as a gesture of goodwill. Next clothing chain store is one such retailer which does that.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I found that using their suggestion box is good. Even if there is no change in their set up you have voiced your opinion.

It is very annoying and can be embarrassing as well. If I catch that the sale price item is not on sale regardless of how many items I have I tell them 'I don't want it.'

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    In some of the shops around my local area, if there is a price sticker on something and it's wrong, they will give you the item for whatever it says on the sticker as long as it would be in your favour to do so. I do think that companies should try a lot harder to put the correct prices on things though, because it is misleading if the prices are wrong, and that means you might end up paying a different amount to what you had expected to pay for the items that you're looking for.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I ran across something similar at a clothing shop while Christmas shopping. They had sales racks, but people were going nuts in there and moving stuff all around. The items themselves were not marked with the sale price, so I was a little uneasy thinking that I'd get to the cashier and owe two or three times as much as expected.

I decided to have her check every price before the items went into the bag. I don't like to be difficult, but I needed to know. She was very nice about it, and just read each one off as she went. It really didn't take long, and I left as a very happy customer.

9. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    Forgive me for being negative but this is false advertisement and whether or not the tag is on the right or wrong place the price needs to be honored. Walmart is famous for placing a bunch of items on the wrong shelf and then trying to up the price at the register. @Zyni@Zyni I am with you 100% in price checking everything! We work hard for our money for retailers to try and steal it cents at a time.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is kind of a waste of time when that happens. I am not sure why the items are priced one way on the shelf and when you go to the register it is a different story. I had that happen in CVS just recently. Stores should make sure their items are priced correctly on the shelves..because it wastes everyone's time when there is a price discrepancy at the register.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Something I just thought of... some stores used to (not sure if any do any more) give you the item for free or at least at a discount if it rang up at the wrong price. I guess it pays to check the policies of various stores to make sure you don't get ripped off.

I don't think a lot of people know about such things, and there are also people I know who wouldn't even use such a policy anyway. They will just quietly watch as their money is tucked into the drawer even if they know they are paying too much.

Not me! :p

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This really annoys me as well. Sometimes the store will even charge the sale price if they see it really seems to be on sale. But that depends on the store. One time a pet store gave me a cute reusable bag because I got upset to find out the dog food i was buying was not on sale - the one right next to it was the one on sale. But rarely stores will do things like that.

13. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I know from working in retail that sales associates are trained to look out for this. A lot of times people will switch price tags to try to get the item they want for a lower tag. It occurs especially during the holidays and when stores are having large promotions on items. If it is just a sticker I know a lot of stores won't honor the price. However, it if is actually printed on the tag they will.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've actually lucked out on this twice - once when shopping for a toaster oven at Wal-Mart and another time when I bought my current desktop computer at Best Buy.

At Wal-Mart, they had what should have been an $80 Oster toaster oven listed with a $29 price tag in front of it. I knew it actually cost much more than that, because I had been doing some research about it online first. When I saw it on the shelf with a lower price tag in front of it, first I thought someone had misplaced it in the wrong spot. But when I looked at the tag more closely, it clearly listed the exact model on it, so it was an error on their part. I brought it to the attention of the cashier when we were checking out, because it rang up as the $79 price instead of the $29 price, so she got a manager to go check it, when when she came back, they honored the $29 price on it instead.

The other incident was at Best Buy. I was going to buy a basic Lenovo all in one desktop system, which was supposed to be about $579. That was the only Lenovo desktop system they appeared to have. When the clerk went to go get me a boxed one off the shelves, he came back with a higher end model that actually retails for about $300 more. I pointed out to him that that was not the exact same model as the one on display. But when he rang it up, it was still ringing up as the cheaper model for $579. I tried to warn him that he's selling me a much more expensive model at the wrong price, but he insisted that's how it's ringing up, so everything is OK. So I just went ahead and purchased it.

15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have had this happen to me a few times as well. I wish I did find a store that would just sell me the item at discount since it wasn't my fault for bad labeling. Though no business is perfect. It also isn't stopping us from shopping to begin with. I try to use the price scanners when they have one. Better yet if the price scanner they have I'd even working to begin with.

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This trick is something that I find particularly annoying and although I fortunately rarely get caught out by it - I did the other day.

Particularly as - on entering the grocery store I was greeted by the most enormous display of our favourite wine on sale at half price - advertised with signs that could hardly be missed as they were all around the 3 x 3 mark - so wanting to replenish some of what had been consumed over the holiday period decided to take advantage of the offer and pick up 12 bottles as it was such a bargain price.

However - bearing in mind that there was none in its normal place - all stock was in the discount display at the front of the store - I was somewhat shocked on checking my till receipt to find that I had been charged the normal price and even more shocked when on querying the price - I was told - that no I had to pay full price as it wasn't on sale - it was just that they hadn't got round to removing the display from last week - the latter of which just made me see red - as it was such a blatantly underhand tactic - that was clear as day - purely there to deceive the customer - especially as the store had been open for several days since the end of the holidays.

In fact I was even more astonished when they got offended at me saying I would not be buying the wine after all as I didn't like being so blatantly ripped off - I do however have to admit - that I did get a great deal of pleasure at seeing quite a number of people in the queue behind me start putting their bottles back too.

Fortunately I was saved by the fact that I'm in the habit of always checking my till receipt before leaving the store - which if you're not - this is one very good example of why its always wise to.

17. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    Most stores are willing to give you the item at sale price if it is mismarked. I guess we have to pick our battles with that type of thing.

18. angie

angieNew Member

Threads:
    i always check the clearance rack or shelf for similar if not the same item and compare that tag with my item of they are not the same I take both to the counter so I can let the cashier know , it usually works in my favor. Option 2 check bar code and check the shelf its usually the last 3-4 numbers that have to match that price or it's probably a mistake. If shelf says it is and they still question it I have gone and brought the shelf tag back that always works.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When there is a physical price tag on an item at Walmart that shows the wrong price, I always fight them on it and they honor the price on the tag. If Walmart puts a clearance sticker on something , then it is on clearance and I expect to buy it at that price.
    If the price in the computer needs to be updated, that is not my fault so I'm usually a gentle pest until they sell me the item for the price that's marked on it.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thankfully this has never happened to me before or at least not that I'm aware of. The stores is shop at aren't that huge so I guess they have an easier time with keeping everything organized. I imagine it can get very frustrating though especially when you have stood in line for so long only to reach the end and realize that you had the wrong calculations due to their mistakes or even worse sometimes you could have already paid for it because you didn't notice beforehand. In that case I think I would file a complaint.