Modern Christmas Movies

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by DrRipley • Dec 22, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm planning to sit the kids down for a movie or two this coming holiday season at our family Christmas party, and I'm looking for suggestions. I have a lot of movies in mind but sadly all my ideas for titles are all old and the pacing and content of many of those movies haven't aged that well or the slow pace might just not appeal to the kids who are a bit more used to modern fast paced movies.

Movie classics like Charlie Brown or jingle all the way probably just will bore the kids and I'd just like to discover some new ones anyway.

So, that said, any movie suggestions you guys would recommend to me that has worked with the kids in your family where they didn't just immediately get bored and start doing something else while the movie is playing? I'm hoping to buy up some within this week.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. I purchased a couple of Christmas movies, but none would be kid-friendly, although they are perfectly PG. Most of the ones I watched were on Hallmark Channel. I watched a few on UP and Lifetime, as well.

The ones I purchased were Christmas Angel and Holiday in Handcuffs. Holiday in Handcuffs was a 2-fer, and came with I think it's called Christmas Snowglobe (or reverse that maybe), which I've also seen before. I purchased both of those on eBay. I paid more than I'd have liked, but the prices were still good.

One I really like that might be appropriate for kiddoes is Prancer. I didn't need to buy that, because I've owned it for years. Now would be a good time for you to buy them for next year, because the prices should have gone down. Hopefully others will respond as well, so we can have a nice list to pull from and purchase for next season.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every Christmas season, we have a movie festival here with 8 movies that promise to be entertaining particularly to the children. When I was young, I would be excited with that festival and weeks before the movies are shown, I already have my own selection of what to watch but almost always, I could watch only 1 because the movie ticket is expensive. Most of the movies in the festival are comedy and horror.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, I know that film festival that you are talking about, but for me I'm not that interested in watching those movies that are being shown. But I have to say that some movies do gross quite a lot during that film festival.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    There was a real interesting movie I saw around New Years. It's called "So this is Christmas". with Eric Roberts and Vivica Fox as a blended family with teens. Though not too graphic, the teens are dealing with things like parental abuse (their friends), drugs, alcohol and teen pregnancy. However, it's a mysterious stranger called to help out around the house whose also organizing a community play for the local orphanage.

No profanity. Lots of twists and turns with a little violence but it's good message about those things that tempt young people and dealing with our ever-changing culture.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Like Diane mentioned Hallmark had lots of family friendly Christmas movies. Hallmark has a lot of holiday time movies and Kitty Bowl too which is hilarious to watch at any age. My cousin bought her son who was in high school one of those DVD and let him choose his own DVD's to bring to family parties and he was enjoying it throughout the party which most of us grown-ups got to discussing family things.