Moisturizers

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DancingLady • Oct 27, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    There are literally dozens of skin care products and moisturizers available in your average drug or big box store and even more specialty creams and lotions in various shops.

I have tried a number of products, but there are still many out there I have never used. Based on my experience over the past couple of years since deciding to avoid all petroleum products, I have two personal favorite lotions.

Avalon organics aloe unscented is one of them. I like this lotion in the late spring, summer and early fall, before the winter dryness sets in. Once winter comes, I prefer Burt's Bees milk and honey body lotion because it is a little thicker and works better for me during the driest season.

What are your favorite products? Please mention is they are petroleum free for those who are trying to avoid it.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have stopped buying commercial moisturizers about a year ago. My skin always used to be on the dry side, and I had to apply plenty of moisturizing creams and oils to hydrate my skin. But despite of using organic, natural products, my skin remained problematic, until I discovered pure coconut oil, cold showers, and drinking 15 glasses of water a day. :) I can't believe what a difference this discipline has made in my life. My skin is all dewy and beautifully soft these days, and I don't need any kind of moisturizers at all, apart from coconut oil, which I apply over my entire body and face. I even put it in my hair. It's wonderful stuff. :)

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have this sweet-smelling lotion from Bath and Body Works and it worked well for my skin. The smell was excessively sweet it made me sneeze often. Not to mention a single bottle costs more than $11. Now I'm using this melon scrub from Watsons. I got two for only $2. The store has regular promotional items that's why I love shopping there. Yes, most of the product I used were petrol-free. I'm not sure about Bath and Body Works, though. I use scrubs because they already have that moisturizing effect so I don't need to keep applying lotion.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I love the product celeteque because it's not sticky to the face and it is water-based. It's also really recommendable for dry skin. :)

5. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    There isn't a lotion that I have found yet that keeps my skin moisturized. I live in NV and it seems as though nothing I have found is strong enough to surpass the elements of desert living. A few things mentioned as responses will be checked into as I need something to give me back the baby soft skin I used to have when I lived back home in upstate NY. I'm definitely following this post to see what other moisturizers are mentioned. Excellent topic!!

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using Physiogel products right now (lotions and creams). The packaging says that it locks in moisture for 3 days though I'm really not sure if it does what it claims it does. But I do feel that my skin is moisturized up to the time that I take my next bath/shower again. It has no strong scent and great for sensitive skin (like mine). :)

7. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    The area between my eyebrows tend to be dry. I've tried a lot of products, but to my surprise, the one thing that has always worked for me was a cheap brand of moisturizer. And I mean real cheap. Some friends also recommended that I start going the natural route, similar to the coconut oil suggestion above. But I never really gotten into it because I have found the product that works for me.

8. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Lack of Favorites

I don't have a favorite moisturizer. There were brands that I used, like Dove moisturizing body lotion and the Vaseline, whose line of products we've used in the past. I used many types of moisturizing lotions, but when I was in school I used to just dab water to the areas that are dry. I carried water spritz with me, but I don't remember where I bought them. They were scented and not suitable for the face. The purpose of the water spritz is to moisturize during the day. For sensitive areas I use prescription moisturizers from the skin clinics where my aunt was part-timing.

Another reason why I don't have a favorite moisturizer is many of the ones I have used are no longer produced. They were not always available at the stores, either.

9. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've noticed dryness in my skin tends to be more a factor of the weather and my hormones than my moisturizer. Also - indicative of my dehydration. I have to remind myself to drink more water in the winter, but ironically, my skin suffers more in the summer because we're so often at the pool.

I use Neutrogena with SPF moisturizer. Usually 45 or higher. At first I found it a bit oily, but it soaks in quickly and doesn't leave a residue, so I like it. Last time I needed some though they didn't have anything above 30 in stock, so I bought the CVS brand equivalent. It actually doesn't smell as bad to me and works just as well... so it now really depends on which I can find cheaper. Neutrogena goes on sale and has coupons often enough that it is a great deal, but if I'm out and need something immediately, I'll use the store brand if it is cheaper.

10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I am a huge fan of the OLAY moisturizing line, especially the day moisturizer that has spf and can be used under the makeup that you wear every day. It's not greasy or oily and has a fresh scent. I have been using it for years. I have extra sensitive and dry skin and have never had an issue using it.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have used lots of moisturiser but never have been fully satisfied with them. I do not think that claim of 12 hours by any moisturiser is really true. I do not think it is worth spending on moisturiser as there are lots of natural products available. I usually use aloe very for moisturiser.