Money in PayPal

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Gelsemium • Oct 31, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    2,000 USD, now that's a lot of money, but, why would you save your money in PP, is it that PP offered you a higher rate of interest on your money than your local banks did? lol, or, is it that you could have paid your rent through PP? Secondly, do you sell on eBay? If so, what is your username? May be i'll buy something from you.

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I usually keep about $50 in my account. It isn't that I'm worried about hackers taking the money (I believe PayPal is insured), it is more that I like having my money in my bank than somewhere else. I also rarely keep much cash on hand. Not that my bank gives any major kick back in the form of interest, but for some reason I just feel better having it there than anywhere else.

I like using PayPal for online purchases though, because it is so fast and doesn't require punching in all my credit card numbers. And it sort of feels like fake money, you know? Like I'm getting myself a gift if I use paypal.

3. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I actually exchange a lot of my paypal into bitcoin these days and get gift cards at 20% off from purse.io . At that site bitcoin is pretty valuable and a lot of people want to invest in it. So they give you higher rates than what BTC/$ is at for your coins. They buy gift cards or items for you through Amazon.

Paypal doesn't offer interest on your money. Not from what I know about it. They offer a credit line for those in the US. But I would not recommend it.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One thing that I've noticed now is that PayPal allow us to add multiple addresses to our account, so that might be useful too. We can add up to 8 e-mails, more than enough lol, I don't get why anyone would need to add 8 e-mails to the same PayPal account.

5. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I did not know this. I don't know why you would add more than one email address to a PayPal account. Seems to me it is just inviting fraudulent activity or the like. A lot of people don't trust PayPal even when they receive the funds because of the time that PayPal awards the sender to claim back the money. That is their worst policy. If someone sends money that's it. It should be like closing the door. They should not have a right to claim it back. Unless someone hijacked the account from another IP in another country I don't see the need or the right for you to be able to claim back money you send. And it is something like 60 days. So a lot of people cheat merchants using that rule and so PayPal's name has been tarnished.

6. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I should clarify the above. I understand where you need to get a refund of your money if you buy something that is not up to your standards, damaged, not what you wanted (e.g buying something on Ebay) etc. So I understand if there is period to claim back money for that reason (shouldn't be more than a week though after delivery). But I believe sending money to family and friends carries the same policy. That should not be allowed.

7. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    I have never had any problems with pay pal. I use it often but never keep all that much in my account because I transfer it to my account or spend it online soon after funds are available. The only people I know who have had issues were PSO workers. It is against Pay pal policy for that type of employment payments to be made via pay pal.

8. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    Never had a problem with Paypal, I tend to move money in and out as the need arises. I prefer to use paypal when I can for online transactions. I think it is much safer then a credit card. Sometimes I surprise myself and find I have more then I thought in my Paypal balance, I just forget that I get residuals from some of the work I have done, It isn't alot but in time it can add up and be great for that extra treat. On like my bank account I feel Paypal is not as expensive, sure they charge for some things but not like the bank does.

9. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I have a hundred-something in my paypal account right now. I'm trying to link my bank account to it but it's not working for now, and I'm definitely going to bring this up with customer service. However, it's definitely a reputable website with security measures, so I trust Paypal with my money, perhaps on par with a bank (most money these days is digital anyway). I also do quite a bit of online shopping, so having an account is useful.

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used Paypal for several years, and I have never had any problems with it at all. Now, I have the Paypal debit card, and that makes using it even easier. They even give you a small bonus for using the debit card, so when I pay for something, I use the card instead of just using Paypal. I have also added that Paypal card to my Amazon account, so I can pay for my Amazon purchases with the Paypal now, too.
    Overall, I think Paypal is a great way to send and receive money. When you are sending money to friends or family, it doesn't even cost you to do it. You can't beat that ! !

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    This is something I've heard about, but that I find extremely confusing, I mean, if you sent a payment and that allows you to buy something, how can you claim the money back? Doesn't seem fair to the person selling something because the goods most likely were already shipped.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's always a possibility Gelsemium, there are plenty of people who are professional eBay scammers, they buy things and then claim they either didn't receive it or it is defective in order for Paypal to give them their money back, and the seller is left with no money and no item...

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think you've used the right word there Strykstar, it's a scam! I find it amazing that there are no mechanisms to protect those people, I mean, something like a proof that the item was not sold or it's defective, before we can actually claim our money back.

14. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yea Gelsemium not me personally but a lot of my friends sell bitcoin and made the mistake of taking Paypal as payment. There are more dishonest people out there than I thought. They said so many people would receive the currency and then claim back the money. As a result merchants aside from Ebay generally shy away from accepting PayPal. Who wants to wait 2 months before the money is legitimately yours.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't keep much money in my paypal account at any one time. I have been using the account for years and have never had a problem. I use the money in the account for little treats for me, that is my fun money account.

16. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually in the process of having a PayPal debit card mailed to me. I'm going to start using my account a lot more. I never really liked getting money in my PayPal, then transferring it and having to wait 2 to 3 days. I do a lot of online shopping so it's going to be good for that too. My bank account is also connected to my mother's and I don't really feel like having her all in my funds. If I want money in my bank account, it'll be as easy as taking some from my PayPal and putting it in my bank account.

17. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    I have never had that much money in my PayPal account before as i just started with that payment stream. If i am earning there consistently, i would allow my funds to accumulate to a substantial amount before withdrawing as in my case there is a minimum of $100 before i am able to withdraw. After getting that amount i am able to withdraw only in the form of a cheque base on my location so i might as well allow the funds to grow.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    This is a good alert, I mean, PayPal is really practical, but at the same time if we take risks like this it's better not to use it or else we take the risk of losing our property and never get paid. I do wonder how those people who claim the money back can get away with it though.

19. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well Paypal needs to overhaul some of these rules. But it is difficult because something you receive may very well be damaged and you need to claim your money back. So you cannot get rid of this altogether. I can only advise merchants that unless they are selling something tangible and that can be proven to be defective by the customer first, they should not use PayPal. And if they do sell something like virtual currency they should insist the customer use the send money to friends or family option. Then it is very difficult for the customer to claim money back.

20. primaLucid

primaLucidNew Member

Threads:
    I love Paypal because of its efficient customer service. Paypal is a safe company, and it has an efficient design and layout. When I had filed a complaint regarding a purchase I made, I received a reply from Paypal customer service just 10 minutes after I had sent the email, which is impressive for an online company. I've had instances where customer service doesn't respond for days on end, but Paypal delivers. Paying online with Paypal is safe and I enjoy shopping online with Paypal.