Money Or Actual Gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by NinetyEighty1 • Jul 22, 2017.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    How many of you prefer to give or receive money as a gift. Be it in cash or a card. I think it would be an easy way to save time and energy in some cases. Usually people go out of their way to buy clothes for their loved ones. That is not a bad thing but chances are the reaction most people get from them aren't too exciting. Do you think it would be easier and more effective to simply give money and gift cards as presents around someone's birthday or the holidays instead of risking buying something they don't appreciate much?

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I give a mix of cash and items depending on the occasion or situation. There are occasions when I'd prefer to give a cash gift instead of items. On weddings, for instance, I'd prefer to give a cash gift to the newly weds specially if they're quite young. I got this one from my dad who was always considerate of people's needs. I know that cash is well appreciated on such occasions. My young nephews and nieces all prefer cash so that's what they usually get from me. Cash is a convenient, and sometimes, less expensive gift. For friends and older relatives, I prefer to give items that I know they'll enjoy. I've never given clothes as gift though.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Although I like to win gifts at any time of the year (it's always something nice, right? :D)... Please, give me the money because I always know what to do. :p

4. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    As the giver, you wouldn't know exactly what a person is really needs at that moment. For example the person might be starving and any other gift other than food would mean nothing to them at that time. I think it's good to give money.

5. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the occasion really, for birthday parties etc. I like to give gifts, something that they like, such as a book or something like that. But for weddings, christening ceremonies etc, I usually give money as gift. When the ceremony is being held by someone close, like a friend or a relative, I actually ask them if they want something specifically as a gift. I usually give that thing if I can find it easily or else, give money so they buy what they want.

6. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    For me it depends, I do give gifts and cash but most of the time it's just either cash or gift. I was invited to be a godfather of one of my friend's baby, since my friend was good in finances and I didn't have the time to buy gifts, I just gave cash as a gift. But there was another time where I was in the same scenario but this time the father of the kid was a drunkard and did drugs most of the time. I just bought something that the baby can use instead of giving cash.

7. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, little kids are much easier to please than adults since they are not yet corrupted like adults do. Kids will be happy whatever you give them, except money cause they still don't know the value of such thing. So for me, it depends really on the person. Kids will prefer actual gifts like toys, balloons, candies, clothes and dresses. While adults like me, would actually fall for cash since I would rather buy things on my own than have others do it.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This one depends on the occasion and on the receiver of the gift. For persons younger than me, particularly relatives in the next generation, it is best to give them money so they can choose what they want. But for my contemporaries especially colleagues in the profession, it is not appropriate to give them money as gift. Whatever gift you can buy will do as long as it can be useful to the receiver.

9. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Mostly my grandparents would give me money for my every birthday and since the day I remember I have been receiving money as a gift from my grandpa and grandma. That is the money they will save to give me and my brother from farming. I feel special receiving that money and one day I asked my grandpa why does he always give me money for my birthday instead of gifts and he told if he gives money I can either save it or buy me anything favorite. So I save that money in a special place and use it only when there is an emergency. Otherwise, I would say gifts are better because that will be special and whenever they see that they will think of us. :)

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me I'd like to receive and give money and beef logs or other food gifts. I try to give gifts for the person to enjoy the gift. Money is easy because the receiver can get exactly what they want, so I like giving money, most. Other gifts is hard to me, because the size, the color or so many other things can be unliked, so giving money gifts is simple and the receiver always gets what they really want.

11. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    In Africa we say that money is the "soap for the soul". Most, but not all people, with money especially the young generations will always look clean, bright and prepared to take any challenge ahead. They say money cannot buy happiness,right? Well, give someone a dollar and you will see them smile.

Gifts in the other hand, create attachment, which I think it's a very important factor in any relationship. Yes, I know it's hard to determine what one really wants, but I think by knowing their interests, it would be much easier to narrow down your options. If it is not meant to be a surprise, I don't think it would do any harm to ask your prospect what they would want.

Personally, if I had to choose what to give between money and gifts, I would prefer to give gifts. This is because they safe across the board. Giving money to children and maybe some teenagers and young adults, is risking it to be misused. However buy a child a ball, a pack of chocolates or even a baby doll/ toy and you will be friends forever. The trick lies in determining what the other party wants or needs and you are good to go.

By this, I do not rule out the fact that money would be more needed than gifts. For example, it wouldn't make sense taking flowers to a patient who needs assistance in clearing a hospital bill. Well in such extreme cases, give to Caesar what he needs most. Thank you.

12. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    That is so true. I think the storms of life have shaken us too much that we have failed to appreciate the little things in life. We have been conditioned to think that money is a basic need while infact it's not.

We should appreciate the efforts that one puts in trying to determine what we would want for a gift. I think this is a very important lesson we need to learn from kids.

That's a good post you have there.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There are so many times when I would rather just get some money, and also times when I am pretty sure the other person would rather just get some money. For whatever reason though, I just get the gift usually.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It may depend on the person or the situation. There are times when it may be difficult to decide on the type of gift that I would probably give to someone because I may not be certain of the appropriate gift for a particular situation or I may not sure of what the person may deem to be presentable. In instances, I would probably give the person the cash to get something that they would really love, even though sometimes the person may want to insist that I should get them a gift instead of them accepting the cash.

15. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I would only ask for money instead of gifts, when i am in need or short of money, and the situation requires it to present immediately.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I love to receive either, I do love surprises and really love to see how much love one puts in my gifts. Receiving Money is also good though so I can buy my own stuff incase someone didn't know what to get me. I think any gift recieved will come down to as it's the thought that counts.

17. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, I guess I am a part of those who want to receive a gift as money. Almost all the time it happens to receive gifts that I do not need or that I already have, so if I would receive the money as a gift I could buy exactly what I need.

This is the reason why I make gifts as money and not things bought from the stores because I am sure that the person to which I will give the money or gift card will buy exactly what needs in that moment!

18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I also prefer to give and receive money, because it's more convenient, and the recipient gets to buy what he really likes as opposed to giving a gift he doesn't really appreciate.

19. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to give gifts for a number of reasons. For one thing, it feels like you put more thought into it, and definitely more effort. You shopped for it, chose it, maybe picked it up or had it delivered, you wrapped it, etc. That seems a lot more involved than handing someone cash or an envelope with money in it.

Also, you can save a lot of money by giving gifts, if you find the best deals. You might be able to give a gift that's worth $50 but only really spend a fraction of that. If you give cash, you might be tempted to give more, so you don't feel cheap. So, a gift that's still worth 50 bucks but cost less than that, is a much better option (for me) than giving 50 bucks in cash.

Plus, you might get cash back when buying actual gifts if you use a site or app for that.

20. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    Before, I like to give money as a gift because it saves me time and I don't overshoot my budget. Plus it is more practical for me because I will just think of a specific amount to give and that's it. With gift giving, there are lots of things to think about. Is the gift be useful to the receiver, will they like it and those things. For me, it is such a pain in the neck.