Money Saving Apps

Discussion in Food & Drink started by lisasian86 • Jun 1, 2016.

1. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    I have an app downloaded called CheckoutSmart (I think it's that) and it allows you to get money off certain items at different stores, you look through the list of products and where the offer is available and if you buy it you just scan the reciept and then get your money back. I haven't actually used it yet because none of the products on the list were things I wanted, has anyone else used an app like this?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I use an app called ClickSnap which sounds like the same sort of concept and it works really well. You have to upload your receipt showing the item that you want to get money back for and they give you the money back within 14 days with this one, which is pretty good. They give you all the money back on some items so you get entirely free products to try just by uploading your receipt. I'm not sure it's available in the US, but it might be.

They're great apps and if you can get a discount or some money back on items you'd buy anyway I think it's a great added bonus.

3. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    I'm in the UK so might be able to get that one, I'll have a look for it, thanks for that I love getting apps that save me money! I think there is one you can get that has GPS on it so when you enter a supermarket it can tell from your location and it will send you voucher codes for the shop you're in. I'm not sure what it's called though, I'll have a google...

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'm in the UK too so it should definitely be available to you! It's part of Quidco, and you can get extra cashback through them on your online shopping or on additional receipt uploads for certain companies. I hope it works well for you! I know TopCashBack also have a version of the same sort of app, but it's name is eluding me right now. I don't use that one as it doesn't tend to pay as well as Quidco and I find I'm more likely to get the money through them, but I've seen people do well with TopCashBack too so it might work for you.

The GPS one sounds interesting. Would it take a lot of data to use that one though? I don't get much data with my phone package each month so would prefer something I don't have to use too much date with.

5. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    Yea you probably have to have a decent amount of data to run that one, I haven't used it myself because I do most of my shopping online. I'm going to have a look at that Quidco one though, it sounds good.

6. Jayda Moon

Jayda MoonNew Member

Threads:
    I have used a few different ones. The problem is that sometimes what I'm buying is in one app and something else in that same transaction is in another app. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that there are multiple because that raises the chances I'll get cash back on an item. However, with the minimum cash out thresholds, that also means I might have $5 in each app, but it takes up to $25 to cash out. It feels like it takes forever. I haven't been able to cash out on any of them yet. I also forget to use them a lot because it takes extra time to go through and look at all of them. Ultimately though, I think they're a great idea and love the fact that I can not only use a coupon to save money immediately but sometimes that same item is also in the app so I can get cash back.

The ones I use are:

I don't have any idea what countries these are good in. I am in the U.S.

7. acheno84

acheno84Member

Threads:
    I have signed up with ibotta and get their constant emails, but I have yet to actually use the app. I think I somehow signed up for it through another program, and just never opted out of the emails. Do you feel that the savings are significant enough with that app? I hate nothing more than wasting time on apps that won't really help me out.

8. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I recently got Ibotta. I have used it once and got $5.00 back. Then they gave me a $10.00 welcome bonus and a $5.00 refer a friend bonus when I recruited my sister. I already have $20.00 and I have already transferred that to my Paypal account . It works really nice, they even have things like bananas, bread, milk, tomatoes... any brand! I have to get better organized than I am with it, but I will definately be using it.

9. Jayda Moon

Jayda MoonNew Member

Threads:
    I think if I would remember to use it every time I buy groceries, I'd have reached payout by now. But I forget a lot. It's a lot to sift through, but certain items, like alcohol if you buy that, gives you really great cash back. There's also the ability to add generic items. Like bread. And then you can buy any brand of bread (within the specifications) and get cash back. Those generic ones aren't high dollar cash backs, they're usually a quarter, but since they're not brand specific, it's easier to do them.

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Walmart has one called "savings catcher". It is inside the Walmart app. You scan your receipt and it will go out to the local ads and look for your purchases at another store for a better advertised price. If it finds one, Walmart refunds you the difference with a gift card. It saves you from having to drive all over town to get the sales.

11. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    Do you know if there is a UK version of this? I'm going to have a look on Google because that sounds much better than the one I had. I want one that actually has cashback on items I buy regularly like milk, fruit, veg etc.

12. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you about wasting time. Ibotta is good and easy and really doesn't take much time if you shop at certain stores all the time. However the payout can be slow sometimes as you need $20. I usually only get the staples items (bread, veggies, fruit) so you get anywhere from $0.25 to $0.50 for these items. It doesn't take much time to browse through the app and see what rebates they are offering so I think it's worth it.

13. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I have some money saving apps like Pointsnprizes, Tvsmiles, Appnana, Cash pirate and Gcash. These apps allow us to earn money by installing apps and finish some simple tasks such as playing games and finishing surveys. But the only disadvantage is that the earning is too slow. But we can give it a try in our free time.

14. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I just signed up for Checkout 51 the other day because Receipt Hog is shutting down their business. I really like how quick they approve your receipts. I went on the offers list and picked out 3 items and went to the store and bought them just so I could see how the process worked. My receipt was approved in a couple hours and now have $2.50 back in my account. You have to have $20 to cash out.

15. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    These receipt apps sound good and looks like a good earning option but sadly it is not available in my country. So, I just stick on to the other money-earning apps that I mentioned. They are slow but somehow brings me a dime which is like adding money to our piggy banks :)

16. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    The shopping app I use the most is shopkick. I just use it while shopping and you get points for going into the sore or scanning barcodes of certain products. When you get enough points you can trad them in for a range of different giftcards. I don't think it would be worth running all around trying to get more points. But I my local supermarket I just scan products as I go past them and it adds up over time.

I generally get my giftcards for Starbucks which is a luxury, but I have a rule that I can only buy Starbucks if I get giftcards so that luxury never bites into my core budget.

17. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    @Penny@Penny How many points do you get from scanning Barcodes and how many points do you need to cash out? I go to stores a lot and so it seems that I would not have an issue collecting points quickly.

#17Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  18. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    You generally need 1000 points for $5. Visiting a store gets 25-50 pts, each can is 25-75 points. So I generally get a few hundred points per trip to a supermarket. You can get a few hundred walking around a mall and just getting automatic "in the store" points. It isn't especially rapid but I find it also takes very little effort. If you every happen to by something that is being promoted that is generally about 150points. You can also like your credit card and some stores give points just for any shopping you do.

19. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Is there any app available for international users like this? Like receipt scanning apps? Because I am looking for such apps but couldn't find anything. So, any apps friends?