Money Saving Movie Night

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Diane Lane • Aug 1, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some genres of movies that I particularly enjoy marathoning, but without Netflix, it can get expensive. I was talking to a friend last night about a particular set of movies that we haven't seen in years. Actually, we've never seen some of them, because our lives simply got too busy, and the cost of living kept increasing, so these aren't something we've invested in.

I checked my county library system, and they have the majority of the movie set. I ordered them to be delivered to my local branch, so I can pick them up without driving too far. In doing so, I found out that I can either select to go into the library and pick them up, or pick them up at a drive through window. I know many would find that to be a welcome convenience, but I enjoy walking into the library and looking around to see what else they have. They also usually have a room or at least a table with low cost used books, and sometimes they're even free. I'm running low on new reading material, so I chose not to use the drive through window this time.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    i like getting Redbox rentals because they are frequently low cost, and I can get new releases. These are some of the ovie types I prefer...but I also watch a lot of movies on cable channels and so forth. I try to watch movies that I am really interested in.

3. BeccaShopper

BeccaShopperNew Member

Threads:
    I love getting movies from the library. My boyfriend and I just had a movie night the other night- we checked out a bunch from the library and has a great free date! Neither one of us has a whole lot of money right now, so it was perfect, and we had a great time. He used to buy DVDs all the time, and I would always say "You know you can get that from the library for free, right?" :) We don't tend to rewatch them either, so the library is a good choice for us.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good point. I used to always buy DVDs and boxed sets, figuring I'd rewatch them over and over, but in truth, most of them have just sat there in the cabinet for years, some without even being opened. I would buy them on sale, especially if I'd watched them and enjoyed them a lot, figuring they'd get future use. I'm starting to go through a lot of my items and decide what to do with them, so am learning to be more discriminating as far as what I want to purchase, versus renting or borrowing from the library.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know what it is, but I am always shocked when I am faced with people who pay for the movies that they watch at home. I have never paid for any movie rental service, such as Netflix or Redbox, or Blinkbox. I just go on the internet, and find the movie for download, and then I watch whatever I have downloaded on my smartphone. I guess I'm the cheap one in this thread lol.

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I'm subscribed to Netflix and I only use their service for watching, streaming and enjoying TV shows and movies. For only $7.99 a month, you can't go wrong. I don't use any of the old school methods that some of you are still using. And I could do the same and download off the Internet, but I do not trust the websites or files to not wind up harming my computer. Plus, I feel better that I am somewhat giving back to the entertainment industry for the material they're producing, although it is not all good.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like getting borrowing movies from the public library, they are free and you can get them for up to a week. We just got a subscription to Netflix, which I have to say is excellent value for only $7.99 a month.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To save money I get movies from the Library all the time. Redbox requires the movies be returned within 24 hours and will charge you more money if the movies are late. The movies from the Library can be held for a few days the tv series can be out for 2-3 weeks which gives you more time to view the movies if something comes up and you get busy and can not view them as planned when you rented the movie.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    We have Comcast on demand and there are a lot of great free movies that come with the program. We really like to watch the HBO movie series that sometimes come out and it gives us entertainment for very cheap on weekend nights. I used to have Netflix, but found the movie selection to be rather bad. Perhaps it is just my taste in movies.

10. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I have always love libraries, but with the advantages of technology, I have to admit that I have not gone to the library much lately. I do think that the library is a great source for movies and CDs for free. We take the library for granted and forget that you can access pretty much everything there for free. I use to use it all the tie when I was a teen ager with less money. I think I should revert back now.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I didn't know this was available but I agree it is much more fun to walk in and browse if you can. For me, I save money on movies by sharing my movies with friends as we always trade our movies and this is not only a great way to save on home movies since you can get more by just buying a few discs, but also it's a great way to get recommendations since friends would more than be happy with sharing their opinions and recommendations if they find something noteworthy.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Netflix is not popular here yet maybe because of the slow internet access. For the desired movies, we just rely on the dvd for now. But a friend sometimes come with a USB stick and gives us a copy of an old movie that he downloaded using bit torrent or something. Our cable have good movies although not really new but sometimes I get out of touch with the trend of movies so I just settle on the Disney channel.