Money Saving Victories

Discussion in Misc & Others started by ProNine • Jul 9, 2016.

1. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    So, I didn't know where to post this thread so I'll just put it in this section. What are some ways you managed to save a hefty amount of money by opting for a cheaper alternative. I remember a while back how I've always been meaning to buy an old used Nintendo DS (game player) for fun. I've always wanted one for playing the games and such. I looked online quite a bit, then even went to multiple garage sales. All the time, the prices would average around 60$ for nothing other than the device and its charger, which is quite a high price. One day, I was about to give in and buy it for that price, then I decided to tell the seller that I'll probably come back. As I go around looking at other stuff, I bump into an old couple who are selling their grandchild's DS for 21$. I was thrilled and bought it immediately. What about you all? Has anyone had a similar experience in the past?

2. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    In my experience, this mostly has happened with big things like refrigerators. I was once going to buy a refrigerator for about 700 dollars and it had a small compartment to be able to serve yourself some cold water. I was thinking about buying it but didn't. I went around the same store and found the same fridge for about 450. The only difference was that it didn't have the water serve compartment. Heck, I didn't need that so I just took the one worth 450 dollars.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I love your title. Sometimes, it really does feel like a victory, doesn't it? I agree that it's especially true for big ticket items. Saving money is always great, but saving a bunch of it is even better!

We snagged a good deal on a weed eater this summer. It was an online special, but you could pick it up at the store. It came with extra attachments, and it cost less than the one with no extras. It was around $100.00 cheaper than it would have been if you just walked into the store and bought one. We had to buy it online (pay for it on the site) and then go get it. It was such a simple way to get a better deal. Who knew?

I did the same thing with a set of tires a while back. They don't always offer the same deals in store, and sometimes, you do have to wait for the item to be delivered to the store (we did with the tires), but you can save a good chunk of change this way on occasion.