Monster HDMI cable vs regular

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by footballtim • Feb 21, 2013.

1. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I just purchased a regular high speed cable from Amazon for 5.79 plus shipping. Every review I read about monster HDMI cable said that you are wasting your money paying the extra $60-$100. Based on those reviews, I am sure I will be happy with it when I hook it up to my blu-ray player especially because my old cable that does not work properly in my blu-ray player (it goes in and out) is a monster cable.

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    What's a monster cable? I've never heard of it. I only bought an HDMI cable that was around $6 for my tablet (Mini HDMI to HDMI) and it even supports 1080p videos with the only problem that I see an occasional blue screen when I'm watching a video. Other than that, it works great!

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Monster is a brand of cables, they have a reputation of selling ridiculously over-priced cables. They aren't necessary at all. Even if they did make a difference, unless your TV is top of the line, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I had a similar issue when I bought a rather expensive pair of earbuds, I had to upgrade the sound output on my computer because it was inferior to what the earbuds were capable of.

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Thanks for the reply! Glad I decided to bought one of the cheap ones that just does what it's supposed to :p

5. Greatdealgina

GreatdealginaNew Member

Threads:
    If you're referring to the Monster Brand cables then the best thing about them is their shielding so they don't act like antenna's and pick uncle Fred's TV show from the other room.

6. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I bought a very cheat gold plated HDMI cable from Amazon 3 years ago, it still works fine. It cost me less than £5. Why would you pay so much money for a cable. I don't get it.

7. Melvin

MelvinNew Member

Threads:
    Why in the world would you buy a high priced HDMI cable when you could get the same quality ones for the same price? It's basically the same thing. Sometimes it might even be from the same manufacturer. Monster is just pricing up the cables because their brand is on it. I wouldn't even spend more than $10 on a cable like that unless it makes me breakfast in bed, and you shouldn't either

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've heard of these supposedly high quality cables before and I'm not an expert on electronics but personally I've found nothing wrong with cheap cables so I just buy those. I admit they do wear out and from time to time it can get frustrating especially when they act up at the wrong time but considering the price difference I'd say there's not really much to complain about. I've resorted to just buying multiple cheap wires instead because they don't really break down that easily anyway.