Montgomery Ward

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by suegiplaye • Nov 14, 2015.

1. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    Has anyone heard of the company Montgomery Ward? They offer a buy now , pay later plan. I really would love to buy a laptop but cannot afford it. My laptop fell on the floor and the screen is severely damaged. When I tried to take it to get it repaired, I was told the cost to repair is the same cost it was to buy it. So now I am thinking of putting a down payment on a laptop through Montgomery Ward. Are they a good company?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, they went out of business in this area a long time ago though. Truthfully, I didn't know they were still around. They didn't have bad products, on par with Sears I think. I am not sure why they went out of business. I think they would probably be alright to buy a laptop from. Interesting to know they are still around somewhere.

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even realize Montgomery Ward was still around. My parents used to shop there quite often when I was growing up, but all the stores in our area closed down.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe what happened is that the original company went out of business, and sold the name. With the name goes the reputation, and the store had a solid reputation with families as a way to buy over time, using store credit. These days, they seem to be on par with Fingerhut and BrylandHome, in that they will extend credit for purchases, but you will not only pay interest on the purchases, but the prices are marked up. Obviously they're in business to make a profit, but I think it's best to look around first and compare prices, before purchasing from this type of company.