Monthly membership or daily fee?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by lindbergh • Nov 11, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Going to the gym is a great way to stay fit and healthy. I don't go to the gym regularly though because of my hectic work schedule. Anyway, going to the gym is not free. You need to pay a certain amount of money. Gyms offer a monthly membership fee and as an alternative, they could also charge a daily fee. Which do you prefer? Paying a monthly fee or a daily fee?

2. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on how often you think you will be exercising. If you will be exercising less than one day a week than a daily fee, anything more than that I would recommend a monthly membership.

3. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer having a membership at my gym, which allows me to carry a 24 hour access card. I'm not usually available during regular gym hours to workout, so the 24-hour option works better with my schedule. Plus, after paying $40 for the month, I'm more likely to go more often, just to get my money's worth out of it... So for me, it's kind of a motivator. :)

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer gyms burn to the ground and we all spend nothing on getting out in the fresh air for some good ol' natural exercise :p

5. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Do you really need to go to the gym or are you just wanting to get a workout done? Body weight exercises and playgrounds around the block can do wonders for your body. I would do those until my body is strong enough to handle some heavier weights at the gym rather than using light weights that would only cost 40 bucks, the same price as a membership.

How many times do you need to go to the gym if you go? I go 3 times a week, yet it is still cheaper for me to get a gym membership. You could pay a daily fee and go only once a week and then rest of the week you would do creative workouts around the house or block.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends. If you are able to go to the gym every day or every other day than I would go with a monthly membership but in your case like you said you don't have much free time to go to the gym often than a daily fee would be better.

7. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends. Both definitely sound better than a yearly membership fee. I hate those. Monthly fees are great because once you've paid, you don't have to worry about bringing money with you every time you go. But if you are low in cash or don't stick to an exercise routine (like me) paying by day is best. This way you will probably save money. However, if the gym charges you double or triple for taking the daily fee choice (most yoga and dance studios do this), it may be more affordable to pay the monthly fees. I'd take the most affordable route.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    During the warm months I prefer to be outside walking or riding a bike. I just joined a gym for the first time in many years. It looks like it is going to be a very cold winter so walking is out, the reason for joining the gym during the cold months.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd personally start with a daily fee and see how you feel about it after a month of it or two. There's not much reason to jump into the monthly program at once, in my opinion.

10. sulayman

sulaymanBanned

Threads:
    I would go for the daily fee. I too have a very busy work schedule and it does take a toll on me and i find it very hard to make time for the gym always, but there are some days in which i have some time on my hands and i am able to be free a lot and so the daily fee to me seems convenient.

11. Cara18

Cara18Member

Threads:
    I would say the monthly fee if you go more than twice a week. Paying a daily fee will probably add up to be more than the monthly fee. You could also ask them about guest or a discount. If you aren't able to make it they should let someone else come or allow you to bring them.

12. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Try to get a free trial or buy a membership that someone wants to sell. Sometimes people sell their memberships because the contract is too expensive to cancel.

13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't tale any paid membership knowing that I can enjoy any public gym in my city, where there is no need to pay to work out and make use of the installations.

Think I had already mention this fact, the great thing about public gyms is that they have all what a membership gym has, except a trainer. Hence it's necessary to set yourself your fitness routine whether alone, based on how-to information, or with the aid of a trainer if you would like.

14. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    I think a monthly membership is more appropriate. It is often way cheaper and you know that you are on the safe side in case that month you choose to go a lot, are highly stressed and you just need to unwind. Daily fees can be very expensive, remember because you do not offer them any guarantee, they will charge you a very high price.

Also gyms most of the time have competitions and discounts for full time members, therefore you do not want to be in a situation where you are missing out. The only time I would advise that you have a daily membership is if you know that maybe you can only go 2 times a week and even there the amount you will be paying combined for the month will be less than half.

15. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    If you really want to workout but you are short on time, you can do 5 minute workouts anywhere during your day. If you challenge yourself for 5 minutes, you'll make yourself a lot healthier and more active than if you were to do none. Try doing push ups and see how much you can improve each week. Squats, push ups and planks are pretty important overall exercises for athleticism.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A daily fee would be ideal for occasional gym goers. But if you are a regular gym goer, then a monthly membership would be more practical.

17. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to pay neither.

You can exercise for free in your house or outdoors. If you have cable, the On-Demand section offers exercise videos. Unless you enjoy the gym atmosphere, it's not necessarily worth paying for a membership.

18. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I think it kind of depends on how frequent and how dedicated you are to the gym. If you're dedicated and plan to have a long term relationship with fitness, then a month membership is the most reasonable thing to do. However, if you only go once in a while --- like seldom, then you should probably pay by the day so that you don't waste money. Gym memberships aren't too expensive.

19. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I am a gym rat so I would much prefer to have a monthly membership than pay a daily fee anyday.

20. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    I'd prefer a monthly fee rather than a daily fee because you wouldn't need to worry about paying the fee each day, and it would most probably become cheaper in the long run as the gym or place would most likely offer discounts for signing up monthly.