More Ways To Use Google To Save Money

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Sep 14, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You've heard of Google alerts. Did you know that you could use Google alerts to save some cash?

Most people use Google alerts to keep track of content that interests them. Any time content you are interested in is posted anywhere on the web, you'll get an alert [based on the keywords you choose].

The way to use Google alerts to your advantage is by using keywords such as "coupons, promo codes, discounts" keywords you use when hunting for deals on the net. Anytime there's a deal/offer that might interest you, you'll be one of the first to hear of it:)

Cool ain't it?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually haven't heard of that yet. I set up my settings in a way that Google does not store my search terms for privacy reasons. But for those who don't mind being tracked and spied on by Google, then I think that's a good idea.

3. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I wouldn't think of it as being spied on. You choose the alerts, Google sends you an alert any time there's a deal. I think being spied on by Google shouldn't worry anyone because almost every website we visit uses cookies to "spy on" all users who visit their websites.

To make it harder for any site to track you, disabling scripts while your browse the net could help.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, Google Chrome records our keystrokes, Spy Shelter alerted me on this one so no wonder they have this drop down option when you search. A classmate of mine that has a very unique and obscure name is actually now in the drop down list as well! I know people are searching for him, so Google can be quite intrusive that way.

5. Denis Hard

Threads:
    There was a time I was paranoid about being tracked by websites and even used a VPN to throw them off-track. To be honest, I've never liked Chrome and only used it for a little while before ditching it so I wouldn't know a thing about keystrokes beings recorded. If it was acting as a keylogger then they were deliberately violating their user's privacy.

My advice, if you've still got these privacy concerns, use another browser but let not that keep you from finding some great deals.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try installing Spy Shelter to see what I mean, it seems to have an ability to record your keystrokes. I wonder just how secure our passwords are considering such stealth methods. I was also searching a unique search term and at the time it was not yet in it's drop down list, but after some time it is now in their list. Of course they now saved it into their database because I repeatedly search for it. I also used a VPN before, and in exchange for free and "anonymous" internet, Spy Shelter alerted me that it takes screenshots as I browse. So much for "privacy", huh?