Most extravagant Valentines Day dates?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Dude • Apr 1, 2012.

1. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    What's the most extravogant Valentines date everyone has either been taken on or taken someone on?

Mine would have to be last year...I set up a maze of rose pedals. Cheesy, I know, but hey it worked! I was particularly broke at the time, so I had to make the most of what I had.

I'm looking forward to hearing your stories! Remember that you can usually have just as good of a time without dropping all of the money. ;)

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    My husband and I don't buy into the Valentine's Day hype, I'm afraid. Restaurants charge more for tables, flowers are double the normal price, and you're made to feel inadequate if you don't spend a fortune to show your loved one how much you care.

To us, it's just another day, because we show our love all the time. We don't even send each other cards. We always do something special for birthdays and anniversaries, though. Those are special days for us alone, not hyped-up spendfests.

3. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    My boyfriend says Valentine's Day is Cheesy and doesn't want to participate.

I made him.

He ended up cooking me dinner. Now my boyfriend is a 25 year old student, he doesn't know how to cook anything except a microwave meal. He made me an Italian Herbed pork chop, mashed potatoes and veg. We shared a bottle of fizzy wine, and just had a nice dinner.

I got sick soon after, as I don't think the pork was cooked fully, but I had a nice dinner. The year before he surprised me a few days before valentines with a car air freshener, and some earnings. He got me the car air freshener because I was talking about it a month earlier how much I wanted one, but they were too expensive. It was one of those Bath and Body works ones at $9 a piece. It was kinda sweet of him.

4. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I would say 2 years ago. I surprised my husband at a brand new hotel that opened around the corner from our neighborhood. I rented the best suite wirh a private balcony (which I had to set aside 2 months before Valentine's Day), bought 3 bottles of champagne, made a huge cheese plate with fresh fruits and jams and water crackers and such (we're suckers for cheese plates) and bought us some fun "add ons" for the night. The next day I took him out to dinner, had a 10 course meal and the rest was history ;)

5. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    This looks like an interesting Valentine's Day promotion. I'll look into it and check out what the website has to offer. I've been searching around the internet for ways to save money this Valentine's Day, and this might help me do it. Other suggestions? Thanks for posting, btw!

Also, according to the website the offer ends February 10, 2013. Here's what the notice says, "So hurry up guys and gals… Last date for sending entries is February 10th, 2013."

6. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    It's usually dinner and a movie for us, no gifts, and just each other for company and some one-on-one time. Of course, each year the movie we watch is different as well as the restaurant. We like trying out new, lesser known, maybe more adventurous and exciting places to eat. It might be a little hole-in-the-wall or a fancier place, but each year we have fun no matter what.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think it's safe to say that on a forum where we're all obsessed with saving money.... we probably don't go overboard on V-Day.

I'm no exception either. I just don't buy into all the hype and have never really cared.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My ex used to get me flowers every Valentine's Day even though I don't like flowers. I'm frugal and geeky, so I could have bought a crap ton of used video games for the $50 he spent on roses that died after 3 days.
    We were together for 10 years, that means that he spent $500 on roses that I didn't want ,which only lasted 3 days each.

I wonder how much interest that $500 could have earned in the bank. Oh, well at least those flowers are rotting in a landfill, right? What a great investment he made.

You could argue that it was a romantic gesture. But how is it romantic to ignore your girlfriend's protests and get her flowers every year like a programmed robot when she says she doesn't want them?
    When I bought him gifts, I always considered his needs and wants. I even logged into his Amazon wishlist to make sure to get him things he wanted.

Getting a frugal person a yearly gift that costs $50 and dies in 3 days is almost like trolling, because you know they'll get mad about the money. It never failed to piss me off.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not been on many extravagant Valentine's day dates. The only one I can think of is when I went to Paris with my girlfriend a few years ago. We had a great time in the city of romance. It was an expensive date but it was worth every penny.

10. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I never really had a good v day mines usually are spent at home watching tv or working so i'm not really into the holiday it's just another day for me maybe this year will be different but i doubt it my husband isn't really the romantic type.