Most Important Browser Addons

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by TommyVercetti • Mar 4, 2015.

1. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I install a fresh copy of Firefox, I immediately download the following addons:
    • https everywhere
    • NoScript
    • Adblock plus
    • ghostery
    • google image search
    There are a few others but these are basically the mainstays. Chrome usually has couterparts of these things, most of them with the same name.

What are your most important browser addons?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Firefox is very slow these days. Speeding it up therefore is one of my top priorities. That's why the first addon I'll install is Fasterfox which significantly speeds up the browser. Another add-on I find useful is Deepest Sender. I write blog posts from time to time and using this addon I can post what I write on my blog without having to log into the blog.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What I find the most unbearable about Firefox are the script problems that it has. I'm sick and freaking tired of it crashing or freezing up - especially when I am on a time limit - and then a dialog box showing up asking me to either debug or stop script, me stopping it, only for the same thing to happen a mere five or ten minutes later.

Not only that, but with the latest update to Firefox 36, Download helper - the most useful add on that I use - has topped working. So I have now had to go back to Firefox 35, which is even more buggy than 36 is.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with DreekLass on Firefox. I don't usually use it, but I recently borrowed a friend's laptop and I found it a nightmare to work with. I then tried Chrome, which was a lot better but still not a patch on Safari, which is my favourite. As far as add-ons are concerned, you stewed my noodle there; I leave all that to my husband :)

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I loved my Firefox. It was just too slow and buggy for me, so I went to Chrome.. which seemed faster for two seconds. I just haven't made the switch, because like with Firefox, I put a lot of time into customizing this thing and I'm too lazy to start over. I don't know enough about the others to make an educated switch anyway. So the most important addon I have, is adblock plus.. REALLY tired of invasive companies thinking they have a right to me.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even with FireFox, I don't use that many add-ons or extensions. They hinder the performance of a given browser in most cases, and I can deal with ads or other things. I'm safe enough in my browsing practices that I don't need an extension to handle security for me. However, there are obviously some useful add-ons out there.

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I am comfortable with Firefox, though after the latest update, it freezes on me for a while. My favorites ad on are: ad block, page rank, and Bitly for Twitter! All other ad on are not useful to me. I guess it depends on what you need to have for your browser and what works out best for you.

8. Brentnauer

BrentnauerNew Member

Threads:
    I thought NoScript and Ghostery achieved the same thing?

For me though it's AdBlock (disabled on this site though, support the admins!) and a handful of web development related tools (color pickers, screenshots, font identifiers, etc).

9. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I have two browser add-ons on my Google Chrome right now and they're Adblock and Evernote Web Clipper. I use Adblock for blocking those annoying popup ads that were terrorizing my browsing experience before. I was so annoyed because every time I clicked something on a web page, one or two ads would pop-up. Thankfully I'm not experiencing those anymore because of my Adblock add-on.

I also use Evernote for recording or saving web pages that looks interesting to me so that I could read them some other time. I also clip images that I could use for future blog posts because finding great images that's appropriate for your blog posts is so hard.

10. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Adblock is a no-brainer. Instead of Noscript I actually prefer using scripts like Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey, it gives you much more convenience and power when performing actions on webpages. So long as you do not install malicious scripts from sources you don't trust it's perfectly safe. You can review the code yourself as well if you know basic programming.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Privacy Badger and Disconnect are also two very good addons. Also, take a look at uBlock, it's pretty much a better Adblock in almost every way.

12. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I had Safari (for Windows) Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer and Chrome.. To date, only Chrome and Internet Explorer (only because I cannot uninstall it) are found on my PC. Well, I love Chrome because it is very fast and has some of the best SEO Addons (extensions). My favorite extension is WooRanks' Seo and Web Analysis. Others include Grammarly Spell Checker, Awesome Screenshot and Buffer

13. Obvcynicae

ObvcynicaeNew Member

Threads:
    For a while, I was using Firefox as my browser, because there were a number of extensions & additional toolbars that I simply could not get support for on Chrome--no such tools existed, sadly enough. However, I switched back to Chrome some time afterwards, due to Firefox being prone to crashing and Chrome being faster (for me, at least). My most important browser extensions for Chrome include Adblock Plus, and Looper for Youtube (as I'm rather fond of listening to songs on loop). Some other ones that aren't quite as 'important' to me, but I still make sure to install, include Reddit Enhancement Suite, Enhanced Steam, WebRTC block, and 'Magic Actions for Youtube.'

14. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    I use Grammarly, ColorZilla, WhatFont, PR checker and so on. I do a lot of template hunting and SEO plugins. I found Grammarly useful, though not completely reliable.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Speaking of internet browser add-ons, does anyone know what is currently going on with Firefox's Downloadhelper? I mean, every now and then it does have its little glitches, which they tend to get fixed soon enough. But when I go to download Youtube videos, I am only given two options, and both options require me to download a converter in order to download the clip, which is annoying. Now I've got four files on my desktop that will not delete.

16. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Adblock, obviously. I have nothing against ads generally since I like to sustain any way I can the website I'm gathering information for free, but ads are really sneaky and I found some even install adware and malware on your site although I don't click them. This is the only reason. :)

17. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I use Firefox as my main browser and i literally have one add on installed, it's adblock plus. I really appreciate this addon, it keeps those unwanted popups and ads away. I know having so many add-ons on your browser can slow down your browsing experience so that's why i only have one installed. :p

18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have never liked Firefox but Google Chrome first, then Chromium-based browsers for better performance, finding that Google trace your steps and has included many bloat that makes surfing slower.

Chromium-based browser look the same of Chrome but without the nuisance and share common add-ons and themes.

For me the most essential browser addon is one called Kill-Cache because cache files far for improving browsing speed, makes surfing slower when there is too much cache stored.

Similarly I have installed extension to kill history, kill flash to avoid annoying automatic music, video or ads reproduction, and a series of quick login extensions to Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter because I have multiple account for marketing purposes and these extensions make easy check all of them.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use Google Docs and Zenmate so that I can avoid that pesky Cloudflare verification captcha. Apart from that, I have no other add-ons in my browser.

20. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    I personally have only Adblock plus installed on my Chrome browser. I don't plan on downloading anything more since I pretty much am afraid of the fact I could intercept some malware addons that could potentially make my browsing experience bad. And also, they could probably slow down my browser by a massive margin. I'm not entirely sure I'm right, but either way I don't want to take any risks whatsoever, so I'm good just with Adblock for now. :)