Mouse, Touch Pad, or Touch Screen?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Mar 4, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I grew up using a mouse, because back then desktops were a lot more prevalent and laptops weren't as good yet as they are now. However, as technology progressed and I eventually made the jump from desktops to laptops, I eventually got very used to touch pads, so much so that I pretty much use it for everything including designing graphics and editing videos. Back then, I never would have imagined that I would get so used to a touch pad that I'd use it over a mouse even for more substantial tasks, but nowadays I really can't imagine using anything else and even my friends who are designers as well even find it odd that I work this way. As for touchscreens, I like it for what it is, but I only would use it for casual tasks such as browsing online but not much more. Overall, obviously, my personal choice is touch pads for pretty much all my navigational needs.

How about you guys, which tool do you prefer the most to navigate on computers - mouse, touch pads, or touch screens?

2. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with you. Touch pads are the way forward. A touch screen is really only practical for phones. I cannot imagine being on my computer for hours touching my screen for various tasks that i could have done with a mouse or touch pad. I think that having a mouse means that you have to be stationary and so it is not so practical for me. The touch pad has so many options these days especially with synaptics drivers installed.

3. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I agree that touch pads are getting better and better, but there is something about a physical mouse that will always hold appeal for me. It depends on the setting if you are on the go or at a desk. I don't think touch screen will ever replace a mouse for home computers, they simply aren't practical for their uses.

4. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    I pretty much agree with everyone here about the touchscreens. It just takes too much movement of the arm for it to be practical. Someone working at a desk all day cannot have their are raised and moving around a screen. A mouse or touch pad takes very little movement and you can rest your arm. As for me, I always prefer mouse first touch pad second (mostly on the go.)

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's my preference from first to last:
    1. Mouse - I prefer the mouse for laptops and computers the most because I have more control over what I'm doing.
    2. Touch screen - touch screen comes second. Windows 8 is perfect for it.
    3. Touch pad - my hand aches wherever I use a touch pad.

6. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    Personally, I think that the touch pad has the most versatility of the three. No one honestly likes the touch screen---that what tablets are for, and tablets have the correct apps to support the enjoyable use of a touch screen. The mouse is truly an old standby for everyone, and it never really goes out of style.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    A mix of mouse and touch screen is the best thing I've seen. Basically a laptop with a touch screen, you plug in your mouse and you've got both. Great for the versatility and while I use the mouse most of the time, sometimes it's just nice to be able to touch the screen instead of going for the mouse.

So mainly mouse, but combined with a touch screen it's even better!

8. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I also think that a combination of both a mouse and a touch screen is the best thing right now sa it gives us the advantages of both but touch pads is what i don't like its not fun to use for me i mean i am not comfortable with it:)!!!

9. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    I exclusively use a laptop so I had to purchase a wireless mouse. The touch pad is too annoying in my opinion. I'm always making the text smaller and larger by accident if you have two fingers on it. It is just easier to use a mouse.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    A mouse/keyboard combo - by far. I do a lot of design work, and it is not practical at all to try and do that with a track pad or a touch screen, especially when you are trying to draw something. I hate the touch screen on my computer and very rarely ever use it, mainly just when my mouse and keyboard get stuck because of some Bluetooth error. It just causes fingerprints all over my screen which are distracting and I constantly have to clean off. And when it comes to cleaning the screen it is even worse, because if you don't shut it off temporarily, you will wipe out everything on your desktop while wiping the screen. You would think these computer manufacturers would include a simply physical button to turn off the "touch screen" functionality temporarily for situations like this.

My friend used to be a die hard trackball mouse user, it was the kind with a giant ball you rotate with your thumb - instead of a traditional mouse. I hated that thing whenever I was trying to help him with his computer because it was so hard to use.

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I like touch screens the most because it's the most convenient for me. However, if I'm eating at the same time (let's say eating chips), I do not like the fact that it makes my tablet screen rather oily. Sometimes when your fingers are not very clean, it will also make commands more difficult to do. But anyway, overall, I like the idea that I can just point to the buttons that I want to execute. Using the mouse can cause a lot of pain on the wrist if you do it for a long time.

12. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    I prefer the traditional mouse. I've always found it more natural for browsing the web and completing other tasks. The scroll wheel is like second nature to me, and I have a mouse which has integrated buttons at the side that are linked to the "back" and "forward" buttons on the web browser.

13. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm most comfortable using a mouse on a computer. It's fast and accurate and never found a reason to switch. Having a touch screen would be nice but I would only use for special purposes like drawing. The last time I used a touch pad was on a laptop and found them really hard to use. I'm curious about better touch pads now since people are saying they're getting better.

14. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like to use touch pads. I don't like to swipe my fingers and press on touch pads because it feels weird for me. I tried it once on my brother's laptop and find it very restricting when navigating because the pad is so small. I prefer to stick with the mouse, nothing beats a mouse when you need big movements especially when gaming. As for touch screens, I have sweaty hands so leaving marks all over the screen is not what I want.

15. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer using a mouse to pretty much anything, but because I am a laptop user (I paid good money for this thing) I have become very good at the whole touchpad thing. That said I honestly don't like touch screens. They spaz me out because I have a rather delicate touch. Also they break so easily.

16. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    In terms of convenience, I have to say that a touch screen is the most convenient input device. People of all ages can very easily start using a touchscreen without any amount of prior training. But in terms of functionality and practicality, I would go with a traditional mouse or a touchpad because it is difficult to do complex tasks with a touchscreen.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I use a laptop, I always attach a mouse to it, because the touch pad slows me down in my navigation. I just can't get comfortable using it. So I would prefer the mouse to navigate my pc use. Next would be the touch screen, and last would be the touch pad.

18. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I pretty agree with most people say about touchscreens, but I prefer the mouse over touchpads since I have better control over it I guess, and its far more accurate, especially when playing games. But for work, like graphic design and video editing, I still use the mouse, or a graphics tablet, sometimes touch pads aren't as fast as a pointing a mouse, and also my fingers gets stiff after about an hour on the touchpad. I still prefer the mouse, except those that came out with the iMac, God I hate those.

19. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I would say I use both the mouse and touch pad since I use a desktop and a laptop. Sometimes when designing, I find myself using the normal mouse rather than the touch pad on the laptop. Sometimes there is a lot of maneuvers that need to be done before you get the perfect design and the mouse is the only way to do so.