Mouth thrush - what causes them?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Nov 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mouth luckily has been very healthy, but in the past day some annoying thrush have appeared and they don't want to go away. Does this happen to you as well? What do you do to make them disappear?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I had it once and I think it was because of some cooked beans that must have went moldy. You would think you would notice that sort of thing, but I didn't and woke up the next day with mold all over my mouth - the back of my throat too. It was very gross and disconcerting. After trying several home remedies a friend of mine who had it before gave me a pill that she used for yeast infections. It worked! The thrush went away and never came back. I always travel with one of those little pills now just in case. Since then, I have done some reading that if someone wants to kill yeast in the body they might try going off of carbohydrates and sugars as the yeast feeds on that.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Thrush is an overabundance of yeast, usually of one of the two most common types that causes various infections in people. While there are some natural remedies that may or may not be effective to varying degrees, it honestly should be treated as a medical condition and treated by a doctor to make sure it does not become a bigger problem.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My room mate developed oral thrush after taking anti-biotics for a bad throat infection. She had been eating a LOT of yogurt while on the meds but still got it. She was then given a medicine to gargle to get rid of the thrush but it did almost nothing at all. She learned from someone that the yeast that caused it does not like acid so she started gargling with lemon juice as strong as she could stand and that took care of it.

I had some level of thrush most of my life, to the point that I didn't realize I had it until I went off sugar for a while and one day noticed my tongue looked so much better than it ever had. Sugar feeds yeast, so reducing your intake will cut it down a lot.

5. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Here is a link to the CDC about thrush. It may help you better then anything I could say here.

It is basically a fungal problem dealing with the yeast in your body. The CDC tells you how to treat it also.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, antibiotics are unfortunately a big culprit in disrupting the natural balance. Unfortunately, yogurt does not have nearly enough active cultures to be beneficial. An actual probiotic would be needed in that case.

7. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had thrush, but an overgrowth of yeast is the cause of mouth thrush and thrush in general. A lot of people get thrush after taking too many antibiotics. You can get rid of it using coconut oil and cinnamon oil. Reducing sugars in your diet would also help to resolve the problem. Probiotics are also helpful to regulate the yeast in your body.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that is a fact because antibiotics kill all our microbes, the good and the bad and in that sense our body lacks defenses. That is why I only take antibiotics when I really have to, they are just too strong and they cure something, but create another problem.

9. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Thrush is caused by an overgrowth of yeast - most commonly caused by trading bacteria back and forth during breastfeeding. It can also be caused by interaction with antibiotics -- same as a regular yeast infection. A simple anti-fungal oral suspension will get rid of it. It is not serious.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that most people don't understand their mechanisms, I've always heard that it's related with the lack of vitamins, meaning that when we eat poorly it's more likely for them to appear. I also think that mouth hygiene has a lot to do with it.