Movie In Theathers Or At Home?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by gracer • Aug 16, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Hi guys! :)

I must say it's been ages since I last watched a movie in a theater. I can't even remember what movie I watched the last time I went to a movie theater. My family and I would just usually watch from home now, either through a player or through the Internet. Movies in theaters here in my area nowadays are expensive. The amount you would spend on just one ticket is already enough to buy some snacks and watch at home.

How about you guys, do you still frequent the theater or do you just watch movies at home? When was the last time you watched a movie in a theater?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I currently live in a small town. We have no theater here so watching movies in one is out of question. Fact though is even it were possible I doubt I'd be willing to watch movies in a theater any more since the tickets are overpriced anyway. I prefer to watch movies at home. We have a "DVD club" which helps us (group members) save a lot of money.

3. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I go to the movies every single week, while I do watch them at home, I still love going out to be apart of a community of people that also enjoy chilling with others to watch a good movie together. It's really nice to get out of the house in this way. It's my get away, and there is nothing similar about the theater, vs at home.

I like the big surround sounds, and I know you can do that at home, but it's still the movie theater.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like both, but I don't like going during peak times because of the prices, choice of seating and also you can't guarantee if there will be rowdy people. I've been to a few where I have asked people to stop talking or moved because someone tall sat in front of me.

Watching at home is more comfortable, but sometimes waiting for a movie to come out on DVD takes too long so you go when it's cheaper and quieter. These days there are more deals on tickets, but I don't go as often as I used and there aren't always good films to choose from either.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I've experienced this a lot of times before too. I had to move from one seat to another most of the time because someone taller sat in front of me. Watching blockbuster movies especially during the initial stages of showing could also get very uncomfortable due to the amount of people watching. I even remember having to stand inside the cinema just so I could already get in and be able to sit when someone leaves because it was too packed with people.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, @gracer@gracer. I haven't been to the movies in years because I think the ridiculous prices are a joke! It doesn't help matters that the snacks are so expensive too. If we want to watch a movie, we get our snacks in from our supermarket and watch it at home. Not only is it way cheaper, it's also nice and comfortable LOL There's been times when we've wondered if we should do it as a treat, but we never seem to get round to it. I've become even less interested since I started online work, because if I'm not doing my offline work, I'm at home working online. Sad, I know, but I need all the money I can make.

7. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    There are many apps nowadays you can use to watch movies online at home, the internet keeps evolving and it does not seem to be stopping soon, TV and Theaters are no longer going to exist anymore, that's definitely going to happen in several years, you will remember me when it finally happens.

One of the main reasons why I do not attend the theaters anymore is the prices, it is way too expensive to go to the theater just to watch a movie, you would spend a lot of money if you go along with your family, however, it really is a good investment because you can spend some time with your family and have some fun with them, but it's way too expensive, at least it is in my country.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    And they wonder why so many people download. Prices for entertainment, as a whole, is ridiculous. I haven't been in ages and don't plan on going any time soon. I won't contribute to that sort of thing anymore.

9. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm seeing that we mostly share the same reactions when it comes to prices of movie tickets nowadays. Even the snacks in theaters are so expensive like what @Lushlala@Lushlala said. I guess more people are becoming practical nowadays with all the expensive products and services out there.

@Casiox@Casiox and @JosieP@JosieP I admit that my husband is also fond of downloading movies for us to watch. I guess the entertainment industry couldn't really blame people who download because of the high cost of entertainment nowadays. There are many ways to watch a movie without spending a lot, thanks to the internet and its continuous innovation. At times we also watch movies on YouTube.

10. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    @gracer@gracer I barely think you actually can watch new movies on YouTube, the copyright system tends to delete of block them right away, however, there are many apps as we've just stated before, the internet is definitely going to take over the media, no more TV, no more theater; the only channels that I personally think are not going to suffer any damage are the news channel, everything else will vanish.

#10Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
  11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since i last went to the movies. I typically just stream movies nowadays because it saves me money and time plus the new movies can be available to stream online shortly after it comes out in theaters.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This comment is not against the movie industry. I find some people who are practical with their expenses particularly in entertainment. A movie ticket in the cinema costs 220 pesos so for a family of 4 (a couple with 2 children) would spend almost 1,000 for the tickets alone. Getting a dvd version is only 500 pesos, just half of the cost of movie tickets. So how do you decide on that? For one, my brother is frugal when it comes to movies so he had bought a dvd player and just buy a dvd for that purpose. He has 2 children aside from 2 grandchildren. So he saves a lot in terms of expensive movie tickets.

13. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    @obliviousme@obliviousme Same here, I did not really know, well, I never imagined that theaters were going to get so expensive nowadays, I could not even go to one with my girlfriend frequently because it's a bunch of money and I am just a student, saving is a priority so nope to theater.

#13Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
  14. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you @Casiox@Casiox. I still remember when I was still a little girl, my family frequented the cinemas because movie tickets were very affordable then. Now the price of just one ticket is equivalent to how much we used to spend for 3 persons when I was still young. I just think that the prices of entertainment such as this nowadays has become unreasonably expensive.

15. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    In theaters of course.

16. Burungu

BurunguNew Member

Threads:
    Though I enjoy the movie theater experience like any other person. With their super comfortable lean-back-silk like seats, minty fresh nicely chilled air conditioning, the mega large movie screen and let's not forget the unforgettable Dolby surround sound system. The movie theater is way too expensive (snacks) and because of the internet many movies are available online before the theaters. Therefore I say, why even bother.

17. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I prefer the experience of a theater but not the price tag. It's ten or twelve bucks a ticket now at my nearest theater. The last time I went to the theaters was for the second Pirates of the Caribbean. So for practicality, I watch most movies at home. The benefit is that I can make home hot popcorn, ice cream, and hot wings. Plus, you can pause to got to the bathroom with that huge cup of soda.

18. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love going to the movie theater, but I only do it every so often, maybe once a year or less. If my car was in better shape, I'd probably go more, but I still wouldn't go as much as I did when I lived just a block from the theater. I'm a fan of going to matinees, which are much cheaper. I usually bring a bottle of water, and always buy popcorn. My favorite type of movies to see at the theater is ones with really good music or special effects. The last one I saw in a theater, i believe, was True Grit. It was o.k., but not nearly as good as the one prior to that, which was Soul Surfer.

I watch movies all the time here at home, but the acoustics in this house are the worst, and even with my sound bar, I'm often unable to hear what's being said, never mind nuances, if the air conditioner kicks on.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I like watching movies in my home with some nice snacks but since movie tickets don't cost much where I live, I would be willing to go to the theater instead if there is a movie I really want to watch. There is this feeling you get from theaters you just can't get at home.

20. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I like watching movies mostly at home either alone or with someone I know. I would only go to cinemas if I'm dating someone of if there's a film festival.