Movie novelizations?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by andrew320 • Aug 7, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I'm interested in reading people's thoughts on this. Do you read movie novelizations? If so, why?

2. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    I've never read a movie novelization (and if I did, chances are I didn't fully realize it... may have thought the novel was released before the film). I suppose if I were really interested in the characters and the story of the film I wouldn't mind reading a book based off of the movie. Lots of time, it seems like the writers and folks who own the rights to the film and literary intellectual property are just milking the cow as much as possible, so sometimes that makes me uninterested in reading the books... I will, however, say that I'll try it once, see what the experience reveals to me.... hehehe. :)

3. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    Funny that I find reading novels which are based from films more interesting than watching the show itself. I think it's because I prefer to imagine the scenes that are being played out in the book rather than having it pre-depicted in front of me on screen. Furthermore, there's much more you can express through the book, what a character is thinking inside, his internal struggles, monologues and many more.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I just couldn't get into that. It feels like weird fan fiction at that point. I never understood when they did that to popular TV shows either. As a kid, I remember they did that to Full House. That show as on all of the time and I didn't see why people would have wanted to read it.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like to read movie novelizations. I do like to the original book a movie was made from. I'm not sure why there's a difference for me.

6. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    When I hear a movie or TV show that sounds interesting was based on a book or book series, I've read the books. I became quite a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood) and Harry Dresden series (The Dresden Files) because of that. I do like weird fanfiction and before the Internet used to read novels based on the original Star Trek characters. Now that the Internet is so readily available, I've read quite a bit of fanfiction based on CSI and Harry Potter. Some are quite good, some are hilariously bad.

I can't say I've ever read a book that was a direct take of the movie, though. I guess I've never seen a reason to do so.

7. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I have never read a movie novelization. I doubt I ever will. I just don't think there's a movie I've liked enough to want to know more about the characters out there; at least one that didn't come from a novel to begin with.

I agree with other posters: it's just the producers trying to squeeze more money out of consumers like us. No way.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't do that, no. I'm also wary of watching movies of favourite books of mine. The genres are separate and distinct, and I really don't think they can be combined successfully. I prefer to see a book serialised on television, because then at least you get time to get into the characters and the plot. I'd agree with others that novelising the movie is just a cynical way to get more money from the fans.

9. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of that. I would rather read those novels that are yet to be made into a movie. I usually just get disappointed when I read the novelization of a movie because you will just basically read what you have already watched. What's the point?

10. MeliciousMona

MeliciousMonaNew Member

Threads:
    I don't even like movie covers on the original novel- with the "Now a Major Motion Picture" written on the corner. I think it's strange to do things backwards. If I loved a book, I will go see the movie. But I have never had the impulse to read a movie I watched. But what about movies that are created before the series of books are complete? A La Harry Potter... Would a big box office mean the writer could create something more expensive to produce for the next books/movies? It's strange to think we don't have enough creative writers to make new movies, based on nothing but imagination.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Sure, I tend to enjoy them better then the movie. Instead of trying to show me what is going on and sometimes making a hash of it, you are presenting motives that might not have been apparent as well as interactions that may not have been shown.

12. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I am more of a bookworm so I read the novel first before watching the movie. Since the movie most of the time lacks though it is understandable too since there's the budget, production and all. But I find it more enjoyable to read the book first.

13. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I love reading books, but I don't really like movie novelizations. More often than not, they're boring and badly written. In my opinion, reading a novel based on a movie I've already seen is a waste of time.

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy watching the movies, and I also enjoy reading the novels that have been made into movies, you get so much more from the book than was in the movie; but is really don't see much sense in reading books that have been made from the movie that I have already seen. I have never read one of those, and probably never will. Books have so much more about the story before the movie than they ever could have after the movie has already taken most of the plot away.

15. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    I have never read movie novelizations because we would have already started loving that movie. But if the novel gives any opinion against of your thought then we are the ones who will be thinking why did I such a movie?

16. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch the movies that are based from novels but I don't read the books that are based from movies. Though I haven't read any, I think they're boring. There are a lot of books out there waiting to be read. I don't want to read another book that I already know the ending.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    You haven't read any novelizations, but consider them boring? Isn't that jumping the gun? That said I have read a few novelizations and they can be pretty good. Like I said you tend to get more information and better characterization than in the film. But to each their own.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't really read movie novelizations, I'm quite content with watching movies in general. The movie novelizations are all tools to hype up the movie and generate added income for the people behind it, so I'm not really interested.

19. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I have read a few, found them to be rather lacking. The thing is a movie novelization feels like a cheap knockoff of the movie in question and more often than not the writing quality is much lower than those of a 'proper' book. Its almost like they are mass produced to suck the movie fans for some more of their cash. I personally just don't see any point to them from a bookworm's point of view.

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The difficulty involved I guess is in trying to flesh out the story without veering too far from the movie's plot-line. IMO the novel Waterfront was a decent attempt at novelizing a movie.