Movie Theatre Or On Demand?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Rosyrain • Mar 2, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    With all of the movie streaming services out there these days, and the enhanced cable subscriptions to choose from, I have a hard time justifying the cost of a movie theatre ticket. I can normally rent a movie through my cable company before the movie makes it out to DVD and it is usually about half the cost of a theatre ticket, not to mention I can watch the movie from the comfort of my own home. Do you prefer to rent movies through the cable company or go to the theatre?

2. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I like to do a bit of both but these days I spend more time getting the movies on demand. The reason is it is a lot easier than going to the movies these days. Its just so easy to get a large amount of movies for just a small cost per month.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like both, but I do prefer to comfort of my own home. I usually only go to the theater with friends to see a horror movie or I go by myself and have an early bird ticket, which is really cheap and as the theater is very quiet, and I have the place nearly to myself.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will always prefer a movie theater. I only don't go more often because it can add up and get expensive, but the experience is so much better - you can grab your Coke and popcorn, go with people you enjoy, watch in the middle of other people in the big screen and then leave commenting about it later on.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only do on demand nowadays. It's too much effort going to a theater, and I can just wait for the movie to come out on home video anyway, I'm not that much of a movie fan.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever watch movies at home. Going to see a good film is a treat for me. I love visiting old movie theaters with friends whenever I can. I prefer small cinemas that screen art, cult and underground movies. The last time I watched a DVD must be about two years ago. And I haven't watched any TV for nearly 5 years now.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that movie theatre are great in many ways. For the fact that they provide quite a lot of luxury while watching the movies. This happens quite often that the tickets are quite expensive. The reason is the facilities that you get in a movie theatre is very different from the one that you usually obtain in home. It is quite a great experience.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like both because they have advantages and disadvantages that are exclusive to either. When I watch at a cinema, I like that I can buy whatever snacks I want that may not be available at home. When I watch at home, however, I can do whatever I want while watching, like pause the movie for breaks and I can also just wear what I want and I don't have to leave the house.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't rent movies. Neither do I watch movies in theaters either. I'm patient I normally wait for the DVDs to be released. Wait a little longer until people have watched them and buy used copies at half price. Or less. Must one watch a movie when it's released? I don't think so. If you want to, you can watch the movie . . . at any time.

10. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I love watching movie on theaters. Aside from the fact that the ticket prices in our country is somewhat cheap, I enjoy watching the reactions of other moviegoers about the movie especially if the movie'ss genre is horror. I like to hear the screams, shouts and laughters in the movie houses although "Keep Silence" is implemented.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We like going to the movies but with prices sky rocketing, we've had to scale right back down and very rarely go. We either download the movies or wait a little bit to buy the DVD once the prices come down. Our cable is useless and doesn't stream the latest movies anyway, so we've got rid of that.

12. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Movie theatre as a social experience when I want to catch a movie with my friends. On demand for lesser known titles since they'd arrive sooner and might even be cheaper.

13. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I would put my money for On Demand in a heart beat. In the long run, On Demand would be so much cheaper than going to the movie theater. I also don't like to be in a crowded place, dislike people talking, or bumping into the back of my seat, or having to tilt my head trying to see over some one!

14. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer renting from the cable company because the price really is lower. If I went to a movie theatre it would cost a whole lot more which is why I only do this once in a while. Right now there are movie channels on cable at my home that come with the subscription and are free.

15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have never rented a movie from a cable company before, I like buying my own DVD copy of the movie since I am a DVD collector. I rarely go to the theater nowadays because watching movies in the cinema could be pretty expensive.

16. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Going to the movies used to be a relatively cheap night out, that's not the case anymore, especially if your taking the whole family. Not only do you have to think about the ticket price, there's also the food and drinks you have to buy aswell.

People go to the movies now more for the whole experience, rather than to just watch the movie.

Most of the time now we just stream or download movies at home, while you don't get the full experience it's certainly a lot cheaper.

17. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate my cable company so I would always opt for the theater if those were the only two choices. It's not really that much of a discount to me even if you get popcorn and a drink. Also if it's a movie I really want to see I'd rather not wait.

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even before all of these other options became available, I used to have a really difficult time justifying the price of going to the cinema. And that isn't just talking about the price of the ticket, but the overall price of the experience, including snacks and drinks and whatnot. The price is just absolutely ridiculous. I totally prefer on demand.

19. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to the cinema. It's nice going with my daughter, its fun! I like watching movies on the big screen. Sometimes its better. Especially when its something like a new Sci-Fi movie. You should always watch things like Star Wars on the big screen. The sound effects are better too.

20. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I do On-demand far more often than going to the movies these days. Really, other than the occasional date night and family outings, I don't go to the movie theater at all. I like going, but the prices have gotten absolutely absurd these days. A few weeks back, I treated my family to the movies and ended up being $50 with tickets, a couple bags of popcorn, and drinks for everyone. It's just too much money to go to the movies more than once a month or so.