Movies and Popcorn

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Gelsemium • Jul 11, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In recent years it has become a trend that when anyone goes to the movies you just buy a huge bucket of popcorn. Super-expensive of course. And with the popcorn you also buy some water or a coke, at the price of gold... This is a huge deal for the companies, do you usually buy all this or do you just watch the movie?

2. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    Since I work at a movie theater, I don't have to buy popcorn and soda. If I didn't, I wouldn't buy that much stuff to watch a movie. I would get the smallest tub of popcorn so I wouldn't have to pay that much money. I would also buy the small soda so it wouldn't be that expensive. If I really want to save money, I wouldn't buy anything and eat when the movie was over.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's interesting mily, but you don't get to see the movies right or you can do it if you wish? Yesterday I did a movie session at home, put on a movie on the TV with my external drive, bought a big bucket of popcorn in the supermarket and we replicated the movies, a lot cheaper, but surely no the same, we never got to finish the movie haha, Lego the Movie, not so great.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally don't eat any popcorn nor drink anything when watching a movie. I hate distractions of any kind and eating will certainly not get in the way of my enjoying a movie.

To save money, I agree with MilyJohnson — Just don't buy any popcorn or coke.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is the best for saving money sure, but considering I just go three or four times per year when I go I do enjoy to buy a bucket of popcorns to make my sweet tooth happy haha. To be honest I go to the movies more because of my wife, if it wasn't for her I would not go, so I need the popcorn to keep myself entertained. :)

6. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    I used to get popcorn while watching a movie in cinemas, but I've seen that I've phased out of it. Popcorn get stuck in my teeth easily and I just don't like their taste anymore. I now tend to get a hot dog, a chocolate bar (sometimes), and a big cup of coke when I'm watching movies nowadays.

Now that movies are over two hours long, I think you'll need some energy to get through 'em, and nothing beats that than a big cup of coke! I do, although, eat popcorn occasionally when my friends order them. For the most part though, no popcorn.

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy any junk food whenever I go to the cinema. Mainly is because the ones sold are overpriced there. Cinemas are usually very quiet so I don't want everyone to hear me chump on things lol. Makes me uncomfortable. The most I'll bring into the cinema is a bottle of mineral water, that's it.

8. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggyNew Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I buy popcorn, usually I don't, even though I would love to it's just way too expensive, yet NOT buying popcorn leaves the movie theater experience quite... empty. But if I have some extra money in my pocket I buy the popcorn and soda and I enjoy it because I know it's coming out of my rent haha.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish there were cinemas where they don't have popcorn or drinks at all. I get really irritated if someone around me is fumbling with their popcorn, sweets or fizzy drinks. All those noises distract me from watching the movie. Also, the endless procession to the toilet, after eating and drinking, interferes with my cinema experience. Surely, it wouldn't be too much to ask to not eat anything during the movie, but do it before or afterwards.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't like popcorn that much, so I usually just get chips or nachos and a soda. I don't find them that necessary especially if I've just come from having a good meal, but it is good accompaniment for a movie and I find that it makes my viewing experience much more fun. Fortunately, they haven't gotten too expensive in some of our theaters but most of them have increased the price an insane amount, though I understand because they are of a much higher quality.

11. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to the movies anymore but if I do, whether I buy snacks or not depends if I had already eaten something or if I plan to eat after the movie. Sometimes if we haven't had anything to eat we buy nachos or popcorn (or one of each combo and then share).

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't get the popcorn or drink when I go to see a movie. The popcorn has too much oil on it and get's on your clothes. When we do movie night at home we go all out with the snacks. I do agree the cost of snacks at the movies is crazy.

13. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I live in Kansas City, Mo. and just about all of our theaters have been upgraded to attract people to still come out and pay. When it comes to food, I usually sneak my food in in my dates purse. It's cheaper to just throw that burger in the pouch and enjoy your movie. The concession stand prices are crazy high these days.

14. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm one of those people that sneaks my own stuff in just because I'm not paying $3.50 for a little box of candy. At our local cinema you can get a refill on both your soda and popcorn if you ask, I mean, you only get one, but it's definitely better than nothing.

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I just watch the movie now, its been so long since I've had concessions at the movie theater because they're ridiculously expensive. If I do feel like getting something to eat I will go to the dollar store and stock up on snacks.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is a wise and money saving option Mayvin. Sometimes we can concede ourselves the luxury of going to the movies and buying popcorn, but when we can't we can do a cheap program with supermarket candies and a home movie. ;)

17. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually get popcorn just because there is nothing like theater popcorn. It just doesn't taste quite the same when you buy it at the store so it's part of the experience. Of course I do have to have a drink with it so that can be pretty pricey but if I feel like having candy, I'll sneak it in.

18. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I definitely do. One of my favourite parts of the movie experience is that lovely buttery popcorn! Still, it really is very expensive most of the time. It's silly because that means less people will buy it, which will be worse for the cinema. They never learn though, do they?

19. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I don't want to pay too much for a bag of popcorn. What I do is I go to McDonalds or some other fast food in vicinity and I just get my food there. The theaters in my town are not really strict when it comes to those so it's cool.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Even for those theaters that are too strict there are a few ideas that we can use. For example, we can buy their popcorns once and keep the bucket and the next time we go we just fill the bucket with our cheaper popcorn and there we go, movie and popcorn, but the cheaper version. :)