movies at the park

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Melissast • Sep 5, 2014.

1. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    our local park offers movies every other weekend starting at the end of may and ending at the end of September. The movies are family friendly and are paid for by the city so its free to come watch. They have a little concession stand with food and glow sticks for the children that are a reasonable price. I always just bring my own snacks and drinks from home though. Its a good way to spend an evening.

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, this sounds really great, is this a pull in movie setting where you just pull up in your car or do you have to go into a theather. I ask casue my sister where she lives has a place where they just pull up to this big screen in the park in there cars and the person comes around with the consesion to sell.

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    A city near me does something similar to this. They have an old lighthouse that now serves as a museum, and they project the movies directly on the wall of the lighthouse. They only do it in the summer, though. You take your own chairs and snacks. It's so much fun. Mostly, they show animated films for the kids, but this year they showed the original Rocky movie and The Avengers. It's great to have free activities to enjoy with the family.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was in college at Ohio University, they would do this once in a while on the greens between the dorms, but I hadn't seen it done in decades since them. Our local library started doing this as well in their parking lot. There is already a restaurant on the ground level inside the library, so they offer concessions there. You have to bring your own chairs, but it's in a fairly scenic spot by a river and it's really nice to go to once in a while. The movies are a little tame for my tastes, but I have a great time getting some fresh air at night and hanging out with friends. I wonder what the legality is around this though, since I thought you were not allowed to broadcast copyrighted materials in such a manner. Maybe the libraries have some special exceptions.

My friend was thinking about doing something like this himself in his backyard because he happens to live next to a big white barn, which would be perfect for projecting movies. We started looking into the movie projectors since they have come down in price in recent years, but we weren't sure if any of the home models would be strong enough to project movies outside, under the ambient light from the streetlights. We also weren't sure how to handle the sound either. We were planning on running the video off of his laptop, but I suppose we would have to invest in a decent set of speakers too, because the laptop speakers won't cut it.