Movies That Made You Cry

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Aug 23, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Whenever I feel too stressed out I usually seek out some ways to get myself to cry intentionally. I find it to be a very healthy way to destress and it usually works for me since I almost always feel great afterwards.

That said, I'm feeling a bit stressed out lately and I'm looking for some good movies that would make me cry. I've seen most famous tearjerker movies so I'm not too sure those would work on me again, so I'm mostly looking for some lesser known ones but feel free to discuss even the popular ones so others could benefit from this thread as well.

My only recommendation as of now is Awakenings starring Robin Williams and Robert Deniro, which is great not only to get you tearful but also has some great messages on what we take for granted as functioning human beings.

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We do need to cleanse our eyes through tears sometimes. I have not cried out of sadness for a long time. These are my tear jerker movie picks:
    Hachiko
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Ruruoni Kenshin (the 2 OVA films)
    Grave of the Fireflies by H. Miyazaki
    Up
    An Affair to Remember
    Immortal Beloved

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm, if the Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) movies made you cry, I wonder what would happen to you if you watched these:
    • Always (Only You)
    • Miracle in Cell No. 7
    • Secret
    • I Am Sam
    • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    • My Sassy Girl
    • Sex is Zero
    If you watch any movie on the list above, you're sure to shed some tears.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also need to cry to help clean the fog out of my brain every once in awhicle. There are many movies that have brought a tear to my eye but I can't remember their names. Any method I use to destress is to look at a really funny movie to get a good laugh or look at cartoons that are funny.

5. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm really sensitive, so I end up crying over a lot of movies.
    Marley and Me.
    The Notebook.
    and Suicide Room.
    Those are a few that come to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty more. I actually like movies that make me emotional though..

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I asked a couple of people some time back to recommend emotional movies that could make someone cry but much as the movies [that were suggested didn't make me cry] you could take a look at them. You never know if they might have a different effect on you.

The Color Purple
    Schindler's list
    A Walk To Remember

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys! I'll be checking these out and hopefully they work on me lol. To think the type of movie I cry on is very specific but I'm sure some of the suggestions made here will prove to be effective. I also am posting because I remembered another movie that I haven't seen in a long time but I remember it being very sad and I think it made me cry as a kid. The movie is Land Before Time and really it is one sad movie it I think it is very well made and I will be watching this again very son to find out how well it has aged and if it would still make me tear up.

8. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I have never cried because of watching a movie.
    I'm not trying to play it cool here. I might tear up, but I never full on cry... And I guess most people are the same.

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

Hotel Rwanda
    The Great Dictator
    The Pursuit of Happiness
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Pride & Prejudice

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Last month I've seen two movies that made me cry: Gia and the Book Thief. The Book Thief I found especially sad towards the ending. Things were looking 'good' then BAM! Sadness. But it's ok, crying relaxes my body and mind, especially when crying comes from mental stimulation and not from a sad event in my life. If you ask me, I think we should cry more, from movies at least.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I saw the Book Thief a few months ago and I agree that it's great! Very emotional and captivating although it was lacking a bit of punch for my taste, but I do agree that it was very compelling and it's one of the movies that affected me enough to make me appreciate how good it is to be born in this era. The lead actress and the supporting actors in it as well, definitely a good recommendation for everyone who hasn't seen it.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't cry during movies but I do felt something when I watched Dallas Buyers Club. That movie was really good and the acting is pretty top notch.

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    It's probably that one time I watched this Asian movie, I think it's Korean or something. The movie was called "Sex is Zero" and it was a comedy really very funny movie but the tone and the story is so heavy. I don't want to spoil it but the film was really good.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    You know I don't cry watching many movies. The films that have brought me to tears are Steel Magnolias, Dead Poets Society, Beaches, The Butler and Life Is Beautiful. I came across the trailer to Awakenings yesterday while reviewing some of Robin Williams's movies online. I plan to watch this movie over the weekend if I have time. The trailer looks very interesting. I don't remember the film when it came out because I was in kindergarten at the time.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cried during the scene in The Neverending Story where Atreyu's horse, Artax, sinks down into the swamp of sadness. Atreyu was trying to hard to motivate Artax to fight the sadness, but he succumbed to it anyway and sunk to its death. Sometimes, I think that's a parallel for my life, you know? Things keep happening to me and I sometimes wonder when I'll give up like Artax. I do have an Atreyu in my life, though. My daughter, who is my main motivation to keep going. So things can get better for the both of us.

15. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I shed tears in several scenes from the 2003 drama movie Mystic River by Clint Eastwood. The film has affected me so much and up until now it remains to be on my top five best movies ever. Everything about the film was done to perfection. The casting was amazing. There were a lot of big names in the cast and they all gave excellent performances in the film. The main cast was composed of Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, Laurence Fishburne, Tim Robbins, Marcia Gay Harden, and Laura Linney. There's a reason why this film accumulated dozens of awards from several award-giving bodies. It was simply a fantastic film.

16. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy is very emotional for me. I don't usually cry, but if I am already feeling the need to it will certainly happen.

17. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    The movie that made me tear up when I was a kid was ET. This had me balling like a baby when I thought ET died. As an adult, The movie that got me was Frequency. This movie was a tear jerker with a nice twist to it. The father and son could talk to each other 30 year in the past and future through a frequency, but it real time the dad was dead. Once they figured it out, they changed the course of history. It's a great movie

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Frequency is one of my all-time favorite movies also ! I have watched it probably 4-5 times now, and it just never loses its feel, and I still cry when they come to the sad parts, and laugh in the funny parts. I love how the plot twists and turns and it just has you riveted to your seat, waiting to see what is going to happen next in this movie.
    Another movie that I really like, and that always touches my heart, is Batteries Not Included. this is just such a touching story, and the actors play their parts so well, not to mention that the little flying saucers are adorable.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are times in my life when almost every sentimental moment in a movie brings tears to my eyes. Sometimes I find it a little embarrassing when there are other people around me, as I can't explain to them that I just need to let go of some pent-up energy inside me. Occasionally, I even surprise myself when at certain moments, tears unexpectedly start rolling over my cheeks. It's something that I can't always control.

20. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    There are some movies that have teared me up pretty bad, but I manage to hide it from others as I think it's embarrassing. I m a 22 year old dude who rarely gets emotional. But you know, some movies are like that. However, I can hide my emotions when I want to. But there was a movie named The Sixth Sense where I couldn't contain my emotions. I was really touched by that movie. The poor guy didn't even know that he is dead.