Movies You Were Pleasantly Surprised By

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Aug 23, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I finished watching some movies in my backlog just a few days ago and one of them was this Rob Schneider movie called Big Stan. I'm not really that big of a fan of his though I don't really find him that annoying as I've heard from some people, but I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this particular movie of his.

It is definitely flawed and still pretty shallow like most other comedies in this class, but it was good enough to keep me glued for the entire duration and not even for a second did I feel annoyed or offended at the lack of effort or quality. What surprised me even further, though, was that it had a fairly good score on IMDB. I was expecting it to be below 4 out of 10 just for the mere fact that it was a Rob Schneider movie and I know most people like to hate on him but the score was actually 6.2 which means a lot of others found it enjoyable too.

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for some light and fun comedies, but be warned that you might not enjoy it as much as I have.

How about you guys, any movies that you initially thought you were going to hate but ended up loving it? I'll post more of my own picks as I remember them.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Chosen One with Rob Schneider was better than I thought it would be. It's a comedy/drama and he was surprisingly good in it.

Here's how the internet describes the plot. :A depressed car salesman is repeatedly interrupted in the act of suicide by a coworker from the Nissan dealership; a beautiful woman translator and 3 native American shamans of the Arhuaco people from the mountains of Colombia[3] and a phone call from his mother. He finally finds faith in himself after the rest of world puts its faith in him; the sole being on earth who can save mankind from its own destruction with trust - The Chosen One.

There's something kind of sweet about this movie and I found it charming.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Top Gun surprised me and my friend made me watch it. I had no interest in planes or Tom Cruise, but the story was good and the lessons Maverick learned are things that many of us can identify with.
    Now, I recommend it to people who were too young to see it then. It also reminds you of honor, integrity and working as a team. Something that humanity needs to be reminded of at times.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A Million Ways To Die In The West.

Not one of the most original movies, yeah, but after reading a lot of negative reviews about the movie on numerous sites I decided to watch it anyway to see how bad it was. That was my intention — to see how bad the movies was for it to get so many bad reviews. But guess what? I found out that the movie was actually somewhat good.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just recently saw that one as well, and I did find it alright although I see it as being a bit below average. I do agree that it had it's charm though, just that it lacked punch and seemed disjointed to me. I agree with the imdb score for that one as well which is 4 or 5 I think.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I just watched Dallas Buyers Club the other day and I was really surprised how good that movie was. I'm not really the guy to watch movies like that since I easily get bored of those kinds of movies but I was really hooked by the film, it was really good and I watched it until the end without even dozing off.

7. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely see movie trailers/commercials as I seldom watch TV so almost all those that were considered "good movies" came as a surprise to me. I find Dragonheart (Sean Connery) and Ever After (Drew Barrymore) surprisingly entertaining. But maybe because I love medieval-themed movies with castles, kings/queens, etc. :D

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I agree! I saw Dallas Buyers Club a few weeks ago on Google Play and the movie was great. I enjoy it very much and didn't think I would last past 20 minutes of watching the film. Another movie that was suggested to me was Waiting To Exhale. I remember watching it at a friend's house when I was 12. I couldn't remember any scenes to save my life because I only saw it once on VHS and my attention span was short at the time during the mid-90s. Anyway, a friend suggested I watch it again and I did. I was pleasantly surprise at how much I enjoy the movie from beginning to end.

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    The movie that surprised me the most lately was How to Train Your Dragon, I really wasn't expecting an animated movie to be that exciting to watch.
    I had to watch it with my nephew because he was excited to watch the second one, and since I had nothing better to do, I did like he asked and plopped down on the couch with him, fully expecting to get bored or fall asleep, but I ended up loving it and went with him to see the second one!

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Locke. Tom Hardy plays an amazing role as the sole character in this movie. The whole movie is filmed inside of the car and Hardy's character (Ivan Locke) talks on the phone with different people trying to solve a certain problem. Well worth a watch! If you think that a movie with just one actor can be boring, you're so wrong :D

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought that the movie Latter Days was a pleasant surprise. It's about a Mormon missionary and a gay man who fall in love and the persecution that they have to go through to be together.
    At first the gay guy just wanted to seduce the Mormon to see if he could, but then strong feelings grew between them. I expected it to be cheesy but it was so genuine and kind of romantic that I added it to my Amazon wish list.

12. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    The most recent movie I've watched that surprised me in a good way was "Tammy" with Melissa McCarthy. I went to see it because I like her as an actress. I expected the movie to be slap-stick funny but it really wasn't. It was a lot more heartwarming than I expected it to be and highly recommend it as a movie to watch!

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Same here! I was totally expecting it to be just like any other generic animated movie but I was surprised that it had a bit more heart than average. The makers of the film seem to know what they are doing and it certainly stood out for me even compared to some other big name 3d animated movies. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it even though the story is a bit similar to all other triumph stories but they somehow made it feel fresh and compelling,