Moving from a PC to a Mac

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by jleadbet • Sep 21, 2012.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone switched from a PC to Mac? We've researched it and it seems like a Mac suites our needs best, but I've always worked on PC's and was wondering if it's hard to get used to a Mac.

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    When one uses Windows everything is simple, but we never asked because everything is simple in our eyes. One usually born in a place where all PCs have this OS, and learn all about him. To learn that when the machine needs to be reset, or press CTRL ALT SUP to close processes or if virus enters the machine is damaged and you have to reformat and lose all the information, that when it gets really busy disk and loaded many applications you have to buy more and more memory, etc ... Windows seems easy because we were born with that. In Mac each process is assigned a memory level necessary and appropriate. I think it's a big change. As with anything, Mac has lovers and has enemies. The cost is much higher, but you can see it as a new investment. It all depends on your usage needs. In the Apple´s official site there is a lot of information that will be useful. ;)

3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't completely use Mac though but I think the adjustment will just be minors. I tried watching some tutorials back then and I think theres not much difference, it is somehow confusing at first.

4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    No, not at all. Macs are quite user-friendly and you'll get used to them quite soon. The differences when it comes to hands-on usage are not that many.

5. Brook

BrookMember

Threads:
    Oh I think a Mac is super easy to use and to get used to. It is pretty user friendly and most people say they'll never go back to a PC. Supposedly, there are less repairs also and no viruses. I don't personally have a Mac but my next computer purchase will be some sort of Mac. My kids have them though and they LOVE LOVE them!

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    There are going to be adjustments. The way the screen is set up and how the interface works can be difficult to get used to. There is also the fact you won't be able to troubleshoot a Mac the way you would a PC. And of course, you'll have to understand that your software experience may change depending on how much you depend on free/shareware.

7. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    In my view the adjustment from a pc to a mac is having to get used to not having constant pop ups reminding you "an upgrade is ready to be installed" or "Your computer may be at risk", among others. It's getting used to not having to install a driver for every external device. It's not experiencing the "blue screen of death", as my son calls it;) I am addicted to my Mac and for many, once you have the experience you never want to go back. It's not hard to move things over. Apple is very helpful with this, and if you are near an Apple store, they will do it for you.

8. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:

I've never used Mac. But from what I know it has better speeds than most of the PCs. Its undoing is the unnecessarily high price and restriction of Application software

9. Erwins74

Erwins74New Member

Threads:
    From my experience I would say it depends on what you are going to do. If you are just using programs, then the transition will go smoothly. It will just be a case of finding the equivalent program for the Mac.
    However if you are like me, and do some work 'under the hood', than you are in for a treat :).

The way the mac is setup is different from windows. By this I mean the folder structure is completely different from windows. Certain small utilities windows uses, like ipconfig, are slightly different. But also here Google is your friend!

Good luck with the switch!

10. CuriousJ

CuriousJNew Member

Threads:
    You'd be hard pressed to find anything that can be done on a Mac that isn't possible on a PC. Macs used to be better than PCs for multimedia tasks like graphic designing and making music, but it lost that title a long time ago. Even then, PC wasn't really that far behind.

Now PC and Mac are identical in terms of functionality... well PC might have more functionality actually, considering it doesn't have as restrictive of an OS.

11. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I am a Mac fan and I guess in part it is what I became accustomed to. But generally what I hear is that the Mac system is user friendly. I have used others although, as I said, I have only owned Macs. I think most Mac users are fans.
    Yeah I think there is a price difference but one of my friends, also a Mac fan, just bought a Mac Mini and it was a pretty fair price in my opinion. The mini is not a laptop, for those who are not familiar with it. I know if I was looking for a laptop (putting the mini out of the picture) I would probably be tempted by a Toshiba or a Dell or an HP versus the cost of the entry level Mac laptop.
    Yes I have been tempted but as I said, I have stuck with Mac. I think I am now on Mac number four, and it has served me well. All but one of my Macs have been purchased used. Oh and yes, they have all been desktops. I wish I had kept my first one which was a black and white Mac Classic II. Not to use, just to have because it was simply sort of neat.
    Ryder13

12. Gamrpro

GamrproMember

Threads:
    It's not hard to get used to a Mac. I switched from a PC to Mac a long time ago. I never regretted switching. I absolutely love Macs now. They're definitely worth it. You can even go to workshops at a local Apple store to help you learn how Macs work. :)

13. Justyn Mendoza

Justyn MendozaNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a pretty avid gaming type of person so I generally stay within my comfort zone when dealing with an OS. PC gaming is by far the best and most versatile. There are many titles that have yet to come out or even see the light of day on the Mac. This is great for one side of my life (and here comes the but), but I also own my own company. When we integrated our system with apple (mac) it became obvious that it was far superior in the terms of getting business done. So far we have almost fully networked our I-devices. If someone within the company has a new idea or takes a photo of something they want to add to our product line it's instantly sent to most if not all (depending on who you are in the company) our personal devices (phones, computers etc.) It's like a social network built within the company at no extra charge. It helps us get ideas and new strategies pushed far beyond the normal mean of actually having to call or come in and discuss it with everyone. I can generally give instant feedback and the "okay" or "no go" without even thinking about trying to fiddle with some other non integrated device.